2022 Rivals Review Week 1

I know only giving up 3 points to the #11 team seems like same ole georgia, but we can dive deeper.
Yards per carry:
2021 D: 2.6
2022 D: 4.5 👀
That’s significant and something we can take advantage of. If we can run successfully, you know Kirby will creep the safeties up and give us one-on-ones with our receivers.

Yards per pass was actually improved this game over last year, but if you watched the game, it was the safeties making the plays, usually making up for blown coverages by the corners. Both Ints were safeties. There was a play that a receiver was wide open, Nix got the ball there late, and the uga safety clocked the dude, breaking up the pass. There was no corner in sight. Hooker has to be able to look off the safeties and I think we can win against their corners. Again, we need our run game to be clicking to help.

No idea what we do to stop their offense, but maybe we make it difficult for them to stop ours too.
It's less than 2 yards on average per carry not that big lol

That's how games work. I played in many matches we were "supposed" to lose, but guess what, when the last whistle blew we were the ones celebrating. We did so because we exploited their few weaknesses and weren't intimidated.
We're not talking about you we're talking about Georgia and you saying they're gonna lose two out of three which is simply just wishful thinking. When does that happen to Georgia in the last five years? When Kirby loses he loses to a very good team. The only time he's lost to a team he shouldn't have was the South Carolina game in 2019. So I would call it just wishful thinking once again. We can all hope Alabama loses to Texas A&M, Arkansas, and maybe LSU. I guess we could say they might lose two out of three as well but that would just be well… Wishful thinking.

Leaving off the G5 or less teams on the schedule here's how our opponents did after week 1:

Pitt (1-0): Beat WVU. Anyone who watched this game saw their O and D lines aren't where they were reported to be over Fall camp. DBs got bailed out by WVU WRs dropping almost everything that hit them in the hands. Rush D and Pass D were not strong. On offense, Slovis was meh. They aren't going to be able to keep up with our O next week.

Florida (1-0): Beat Utah. Guess what? A Pac 12 team was overrated. Utah's offense never had much of an identity. Even still, running towards uf's de #1 almost always led to a gain because that guy couldn't set an edge to save his life. Stat chaser, not team player. On D, play more zone and spy Richardson and 75% of the uf offense is negated. If the Utah qb (or entire offense) doesn't panic that entire last drive, uf loses and people talk about a 'good effort' from florida.

LSU (0-1): Lost to FSU. Terrible locker room culture. Coach who can't win big games. DL injured against FSU. D can't set the edge. O is dysfunctional. Hooker gonna feast. For the Brian Kelly lovers out there, here's his record while at ND vs the top 10:
2021: loss to number 7 cincy
2020: beat number 1 clemson without trevor lawrence, lost to number 3 clemson, lost to number 1 alabama
2019: lost to number 3 Georgia
2018: beat number 7 stanford, lost to number 2 clemson
2017: lost to number 7 Miami
2016: no top 10 games
2015: lost to number 7 ohio state
2014: lost to number 4 FSU
2013: lost to number 8 Stanford
2012: vacated
2011: lost to number 4 stanford
2010: no top 10 games
He was 2-10 with a win against Stanford and DJU.
***Edit to add Boutte has deleted all references to LSU on his social media. See locker room culture above.***

Alabama (1-0): Beat Utah St. Nothing gained from game against patsy.

Kentucky (1-0): Beat Miami Ohio. Led 13-10 at half. Nothing special on offense from uk. D was solid but nothing spectacular. Not worried about our game with them.

Georgia (1-0): Beat Oregon. Guess what? A Pac-12 team was overrated. Guess what else? Bo Nix still sucks. UGA has serious inexperience on D. Their run D was suspect. CBs were suspect. Their O looked good, but it was against a Pac-12 defense.

Missouri (1-0): Beat Louisiana Tech. Looked ok on O and D but it was La Tech after a coaching change and with a new qb. Mizzou wr #3 looked good.

South Carolina (1-0): Beat Georgia St. Losing to Ga St in 3rd qtr. Needed 2(!) blocked punts returned for tds to put the game away. Spencer Rattler won't be the starter by the time we play. No heart in that kid.

Candy (2-0): Beat Elon. Good job Vandy. You won 2 games. Now you will lose a lot. They are a cupcake who happens to be in the SEC.

Based on these descriptions..... anything less than a 12-0 regular season by UT would be an utter failure.

Leaving off the G5 or less teams on the schedule here's how our opponents did after week 1:

Pitt (1-0): Beat WVU. Anyone who watched this game saw their O and D lines aren't where they were reported to be over Fall camp. DBs got bailed out by WVU WRs dropping almost everything that hit them in the hands. Rush D and Pass D were not strong. On offense, Slovis was meh. They aren't going to be able to keep up with our O next week.

Florida (1-0): Beat Utah. Guess what? A Pac 12 team was overrated. Utah's offense never had much of an identity. Even still, running towards uf's de #1 almost always led to a gain because that guy couldn't set an edge to save his life. Stat chaser, not team player. On D, play more zone and spy Richardson and 75% of the uf offense is negated. If the Utah qb (or entire offense) doesn't panic that entire last drive, uf loses and people talk about a 'good effort' from florida.

LSU (0-1): Lost to FSU. Terrible locker room culture. Coach who can't win big games. DL injured against FSU. D can't set the edge. O is dysfunctional. Hooker gonna feast. For the Brian Kelly lovers out there, here's his record while at ND vs the top 10:
2020: beat number 1 clemson without trevor lawrence, lost to number 3 clemson, lost to number 1 alabama
***Edit to add Boutte has deleted all references to LSU on his social media. See locker room culture above.***

Kentucky (1-0): Beat Miami Ohio. Led 13-10 at half. Nothing special on offense from uk. D was solid but nothing spectacular. Not worried about our game with them.

Georgia (1-0): Beat Oregon. Guess what? A Pac-12 team was overrated. Guess what else? Bo Nix still sucks. UGA has serious inexperience on D. Their run D was suspect. CBs were suspect. Their O looked good, but it was against a Pac-12 defense.

Missouri (1-0): Beat Louisiana Tech. Looked ok on O and D but it was La Tech after a coaching change and with a new qb. Mizzou wr #3 looked good.

South Carolina (1-0): Beat Georgia St. Losing to Ga St in 3rd qtr. Needed 2(!) blocked punts returned for tds to put the game away. Spencer Rattler won't be the starter by the time we play. No heart in that kid.

Candy (2-0): Beat Elon. Good job Vandy. You won 2 games. Now you will lose a lot. They are a cupcake who happens to be in the SEC.

Not sure how the SEC is the top ranked football conference in the country with all these weak a$$ teams.

Is this a "Dooley gonna whoop all dey sorry arses" post?

We're not talking about you we're talking about Georgia and you saying they're gonna lose two out of three which is simply just wishful thinking. When does that happen to Georgia in the last five years? When Kirby loses he loses to a very good team. The only time he's lost to a team he shouldn't have was the South Carolina game in 2019. So I would call it just wishful thinking once again. We can all hope Alabama loses to Texas A&M, Arkansas, and maybe LSU. I guess we could say they might lose two out of three as well but that would just be well… Wishful thinking.

You may need to reread my post. I said I would not be shocked if they lost 2 out of the 3. I didn’t say they WOULD lose 2 out of the 3. Games are funny that way sometimes. That was my point. Anyway, let’s cheer on the Vols this weekend, and split the Johnny Majors Classic with Pitt. Go Vols!!

It's less than 2 yards on average per carry not that big lol
So, in 2021, if you ran three straight times against the uga d, you would average 7.8 yards and probably punt on 4th and 2.
In the one game of 2022, if you ran three straight times, you would gain 13.5 yards, easily picking up the first down while gaining almost 6 more yards.
You don’t think picking up first downs is that big?
Just run it twice and the difference is 3rd and 5 vs 3rd and 1. Anyone who knows football will tell you that’s big.

Last year against uga, we rushed 36 times for 55 yards. Add 1.9 yds/carry (the difference from last year to this year on average) and we end up with 36 carries for 118 yards. That’s a different game last year if we more than double our rushing yardage.

Thinking an almost 2 yd per carry difference isn’t that big is a terrible take. And I wrote the OP, so I know terrible takes.

Based on these descriptions..... anything less than a 12-0 regular season by UT would be an utter failure.
You’ll be hoping we go 12-0 after the hurting we’re putting on your boys on Saturday. Y’all are gonna feel like the national champs just bulldozed you.

Just be glad the WVU receivers are so terrible or y’all would be 0-2 in 2 days.

Who has conceded defeat? Maybe, just maybe UT is good as well?
There’s been a lot of posts on this thread about how great our opponents are and that they have no weaknesses. Heck, one guy was defending Vandy. SMH.

I do think UT is good. I think 10-2 is a strong possibility. We have the talent and the system to beat 10 teams on our schedule by double digits. Bama and uga have the talent edge over us, but that’s why I look for anything we can take advantage of. I think we have a good to great team here and finally have a coach who may be THE best offensive mind in the country (and best UT coach this millennium) leading our program.

Reactions: OrangeRaid Vol #1
So, in 2021, if you ran three straight times against the uga d, you would average 7.8 yards and probably punt on 4th and 2.
In the one game of 2022, if you ran three straight times, you would gain 13.5 yards, easily picking up the first down while gaining almost 6 more yards.
You don’t think picking up first downs is that big?
Just run it twice and the difference is 3rd and 5 vs 3rd and 1. Anyone who knows football will tell you that’s big.

Last year against uga, we rushed 36 times for 55 yards. Add 1.9 yds/carry (the difference from last year to this year on average) and we end up with 36 carries for 118 yards. That’s a different game last year if we more than double our rushing yardage.

Thinking an almost 2 yd per carry difference isn’t that big is a terrible take. And I wrote the OP, so I know terrible takes.
You're basing all this off of a week 1 though. Going off of one game doesn't bold well for a lot of teams in the SEC...

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
ESPN and FloridaGators.com have Brenton Cox with .5 TFLs. I saw his now deleted twitter post begging for attention claiming 2.5. Glad you’ve upped it to 3. Both sites only have a total of 2 tfls for the game for your entire defense. Football vs Utah on 9/3/2022 - Box Score - Florida Gators
He’s a gifted athlete but this is exactly what I was talking about - he’s all about stats and personal glory and not about doing the right thing for his team. On Utah’s second to last td drive (to go up 19-14), he crashed on the RB and the qb pulled it and picked up 20+ yards. The next play Cox rushed too deep and left a giant hole that their rb ran right through for the easy td. A good OC sees Cox as someone to exploit, not someone to fear.

Utah isn’t a bad team, so good win. They return 18 starters from a Rose Bowl team that gave up 48 to Ohio St and couldn’t make a stop in the second half or score on their last drive when they needed a W. Sound familiar? They panicked against Ohio and they panicked against Florida when it counted.

People were picking them in the playoffs because who else is on their schedule? They play in the PAC-12. Someone also picked NC State to make the playoffs. Everyone tires of hearing Bama, Ohio, Clemson, uga in the playoffs during talking season, so pundits say crazy things to get views and clicks. Welcome to the internet age, it’s been going on for a while.

AR’s good, but that’s my point. Utah didn’t seem to scheme against him at all. They acted like they didn’t expect him to be a gifted athlete. So, play a defense that knows AR is good and some of that is negated. If Utah takes away AR’s running then he’s left with less than 175 passing. Didn’t exactly torch their secondary. They probably have a better secondary than us, but we have some young guys sitting the bench as well. Turnage was a Bama to uga to Tennessee transfer at CB that can’t get on the field because of talent in front of him. James Pearce is gonna be the next great OLB/edge at UT, getting minutes as a true freshman. We’re hopeful our D grows as well.

I’m just saying that Florida’s win wasn’t perfect. Utah was throwing into the end zone from the 3 to win the game. It took a terrible pass from their qb to not at least go to overtime. I’d say Utah lost the game more than Florida won.

IF UT can run a disguised/variable zone with occassional pressure against UF and AR we should have more luck controlling long runs.

I'm guessing TBanks will have this ironed out by then but Pitt is next up.

You're basing all this off of a week 1 though. Going off of one game doesn't bold well for a lot of teams in the SEC...
Unfortunately there’s only one game to base anything off of til each week gets here. I get it, uga’s D can certainly improve, and maybe they will be closer to that 2.6 yds/carry from last year, but it’s one of the few weaknesses we’ve seen in their d. Last year’s D didn’t have any weaknesses. If this year’s D gets close to last year’s, with their seeming improvement on offense, go ahead an mail the cfp trophy to them now.

Here’s to hoping they don’t improve!

Reactions: Volmac2022
There’s been a lot of posts on this thread about how great our opponents are and that they have no weaknesses. Heck, one guy was defending Vandy. SMH.

I do think UT is good. I think 10-2 is a strong possibility. We have the talent and the system to beat 10 teams on our schedule by double digits. Bama and uga have the talent edge over us, but that’s why I look for anything we can take advantage of. I think we have a good to great team here and finally have a coach who may be THE best offensive mind in the country (and best UT coach this millennium) leading our program.
You might should have led with that.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
One concern...you seem to assume our offense never has lulls or just a bad ad day. Like the old saying goes...defense never has an off day. Offense on the other hand...
Our defense had an off day against Perdue in the bowl games last year. It cost us the game.

VN Store

Back