2022 Rivals Review Week 1

BlinghamptonVol

Leaving off the G5 or less teams on the schedule here's how our opponents did after week 1:

Pitt (1-0): Beat WVU. Anyone who watched this game saw their O and D lines aren't where they were reported to be over Fall camp. DBs got bailed out by WVU WRs dropping almost everything that hit them in the hands. Rush D and Pass D were not strong. On offense, Slovis was meh. They aren't going to be able to keep up with our O next week.

Florida (1-0): Beat Utah. Guess what? A Pac 12 team was overrated. Utah's offense never had much of an identity. Even still, running towards uf's de #1 almost always led to a gain because that guy couldn't set an edge to save his life. Stat chaser, not team player. On D, play more zone and spy Richardson and 75% of the uf offense is negated. If the Utah qb (or entire offense) doesn't panic that entire last drive, uf loses and people talk about a 'good effort' from florida.

LSU (0-1): Lost to FSU. Terrible locker room culture. Coach who can't win big games. DL injured against FSU. D can't set the edge. O is dysfunctional. Hooker gonna feast. For the Brian Kelly lovers out there, here's his record while at ND vs the top 10:
2021: loss to number 7 cincy
2020: beat number 1 clemson without trevor lawrence, lost to number 3 clemson, lost to number 1 alabama
2019: lost to number 3 Georgia
2018: beat number 7 stanford, lost to number 2 clemson
2017: lost to number 7 Miami
2016: no top 10 games
2015: lost to number 7 ohio state
2014: lost to number 4 FSU
2013: lost to number 8 Stanford
2012: vacated
2011: lost to number 4 stanford
2010: no top 10 games
He was 2-10 with a win against Stanford and DJU.
***Edit to add Boutte has deleted all references to LSU on his social media. See locker room culture above.***

Alabama (1-0): Beat Utah St. Nothing gained from game against patsy.

Kentucky (1-0): Beat Miami Ohio. Led 13-10 at half. Nothing special on offense from uk. D was solid but nothing spectacular. Not worried about our game with them.

Georgia (1-0): Beat Oregon. Guess what? A Pac-12 team was overrated. Guess what else? Bo Nix still sucks. UGA has serious inexperience on D. Their run D was suspect. CBs were suspect. Their O looked good, but it was against a Pac-12 defense.

Missouri (1-0): Beat Louisiana Tech. Looked ok on O and D but it was La Tech after a coaching change and with a new qb. Mizzou wr #3 looked good.

South Carolina (1-0): Beat Georgia St. Losing to Ga St in 3rd qtr. Needed 2(!) blocked punts returned for tds to put the game away. Spencer Rattler won't be the starter by the time we play. No heart in that kid.

Candy (2-0): Beat Elon. Good job Vandy. You won 2 games. Now you will lose a lot. They are a cupcake who happens to be in the SEC.

Last edited:
Georgia (1-0): Beat Oregon. Guess what? A Pac-12 team was overrated. Guess what else? Bo Nix still sucks. UGA has serious inexperience on D. Their run D was suspect. CBs were suspect. Their O looked good, but it was against a Pac-12 defense.

LOL. What game were you watching? Georgia's run D and CB's were suspect? They gave up 3 points to a ranked (albeit over-ranked) team.

I was not impressed with Pitt, LSU looked like crap most of the game, and UK looked like they were playing down to their opponent.

However... UGA looked excellent, Bama could have won 100-0 if they wanted, and UF looked surprisingly tough and physical to me. Those 3 will be extremely tough games.

I hope we figured out how to defend a mobile QB and defend the middle of the field over the offseason.

to me, w/ no surprise, it's going to be UGA/Bama as 1/2 or 2/1 MAYBE TAM in there... seems it's going to be a fun year where everyone's beating everyone, and for us, I think it's going to get down to figuring out how to turn those close game losses last year...Pitt, OM, Purdue, etc into W's. We may be starting to see some of the impacts of transfer portal, yielding more games like LSU/FSU last night. I'm not sure I can handle it!

Reactions: Smokey19rt
LOL. What game were you watching? Georgia's run D and CB's were suspect? They gave up 3 points to a ranked (albeit over-ranked) team.
Do you think their run D looked the same as last year’s? I’m not saying they were our defense out there, just pointing out some weaknesses. If Bo Pix was a better qb, 1) more completions and those picks don’t happen, which leads to 2) Oregon doesn’t have to abandon the running game which was picking up yardage in the first quarter. Oregon outrushed uga in their game, but Bo’s mistakes and the ga offense built the lead so fast that Oregon couldn’t keep with it.

The point is to learn from other games so our team can exploit it, not just say ‘uga is awesome and we suck so why try?’

Reactions: igotworms
Leaving off the G5 or less teams on the schedule here's how our opponents did after week 1:

Pitt (1-0): Beat WVU. Anyone who watched this game saw their O and D lines aren't where they were reported to be over Fall camp. DBs got bailed out by WVU WRs dropping almost everything that hit them in the hands. Rush D and Pass D were not strong. On offense, Slovis was meh. They aren't going to be able to keep up with our O next week.

Florida (1-0): Beat Utah. Guess what? A Pac 12 team was overrated. Utah's offense never had much of an identity. Even still, running towards uf's de #1 almost always led to a gain because that guy couldn't set an edge to save his life. Stat chaser, not team player. On D, play more zone and spy Richardson and 75% of the uf offense is negated. If the Utah qb (or entire offense) doesn't panic that entire last drive, uf loses and people talk about a 'good effort' from florida.

LSU (0-1): Lost to FSU. Terrible locker room culture. Coach who can't win big games. DL injured against FSU. D can't set the edge. O is dysfunctional. Hooker gonna feast. For the Brian Kelly lovers out there, here's his record while at ND vs the top 10:
2021: loss to number 7 cincy
2020: beat number 1 clemson without trevor lawrence, lost to number 3 clemson, lost to number 1 alabama
2019: lost to number 3 Georgia
2018: beat number 7 stanford, lost to number 2 clemson
2017: lost to number 7 Miami
2016: no top 10 games
2015: lost to number 7 ohio state
2014: lost to number 4 FSU
2013: lost to number 8 Stanford
2012: vacated
2011: lost to number 4 stanford
2010: no top 10 games
He was 2-10 with a win against Stanford and DJU.
***Edit to add Boutte has deleted all references to LSU on his social media. See locker room culture above.***

Alabama (1-0): Beat Utah St. Nothing gained from game against patsy.

Kentucky (1-0): Beat Miami Ohio. Led 13-10 at half. Nothing special on offense from uk. D was solid but nothing spectacular. Not worried about our game with them.

Missouri (1-0): Beat Louisiana Tech. Looked ok on O and D but it was La Tech after a coaching change and with a new qb. Mizzou wr #3 looked good.

South Carolina (1-0): Beat Georgia St. Losing to Ga St in 3rd qtr. Needed 2(!) blocked punts returned for tds to put the game away. Spencer Rattler won't be the starter by the time we play. No heart in that kid.

Candy (2-0): Beat Elon. Good job Vandy. You won 2 games. Now you will lose a lot. They are a cupcake who happens to be in the SEC.
One concern...you seem to assume our offense never has lulls or just a bad day. Like the old saying goes...defense never has an off day. Offense on the other hand...

Reactions: 08Vol

You’re calling Utah overrated because Florida beat them. Utah was all over the experts “playoff team contender” just about everywhere. They returned 18 starters from a team that hung 45 on Ohio State in the Rose Bowl 9 months ago. Personally, I was extremely impressed by them. I’ve seen teams melt in the environment they were in, and they just kept coming.

#1 Brenton Cox, had a good game, 10 tackles and 3 tackles for loss. But yeah, he sucks.

“Spy Richardson and 75% of the offense is negated.” You’ll be forced to understand what you should have already seen if you were being honest about what you watched: Florida has a really, really good OL and several very good RB’s. Young Etienne looks special as a true freshman and he’s 3rd on the depth chart.

A fair assessment of Florida is they look to be a solid team. Not title contenders, probably not even SEC East contenders (although that can change with wins over KY and TN), but a team that can play with just about anybody. Weaknesses are interior DT’s, pass catching TE, pass rush could improve as well. WR’s were a concern coming in but I thought a few guys played well Saturday (Pearsall and Henderson). Strengths are - one of the most gifted athletes I’ve ever seen at QB. I’m convinced AR could excel in the NFL at QB, RB, WR, OLB or Safety, and if you’ve ever seen him on a basketball court you’ll know, the NBA. OL is the best UF has had in many years, with some good depth there. Secondary is deep and talented, talented guys like Kamar Wilcoxson and Corey Collier riding the pine because others in front of them. Ventrell Miller is a total stud at LB, Amari Burney is a crafty vet, Shemar James looks to be the next great LB at UF, playing major minutes as a true freshman.

The hopeful thing for Florida is that young guys on the DL will get better and help strengthen that unit which was getting gouged in the second half vs Utah. If that happens, UF has a chance to win 9 or 10 games. If it doesn’t, we’re still looking around 7 wins.

Is there anything any of these opponents did that was any good?

Hell, you made it sound like Georgia looked like trash.
I told Vandy good job. 🤣

The idea was to look for weaknesses. Are the gators worried about Scarolina after seeing them losing in the 2nd half to Ga St? Are you worried about Kentucky after they kicked a fg as time expired at the half to go up 13-10? Are you worried about LSU and the dysfunction on that team?

Congrats to your gators and uga for beating PAC-12 schools. UGA rolled theirs but they weren’t perfect. We have a much better offense than Oregon. So, look for where our o can exploit some weaknesses. Doesn’t matter on D because georgia’s O was 7/7 on tds against Oregon. Our D literally could not play worse than what Oregon did.

The gators played an exciting game. Anthony Richardson ran for a lot of yards when the pac-12 defense thought qbs weren’t allowed to run or something because they didn’t seem to have any sort of plan for that. Richardson didn’t make mistakes in the passing game but he didn’t wow with his 168 yards in the air. His running was the killer. Thus the line about spying him and playing zone to take away a significant amount of your offensive production.

And your D? Come on. Y’all score with 1:25 left and then let a team that was supposed to suffer from the humidity march all the way down the field with only one timeout to your 3 yard line. Inexplicably, Utah still acted like they had never run a 2 minute offense in practice because they completed 4 yard passes in bounds for no first downs to waste clock, and then would rush the ball to the ref after they got a first down and the clock stopped so he could set it faster and wind the clock. They wasted so much time.

Great diving interception by your defender to end the game, but that was a total deer in headlights moment for that Utah qb. Who was he throwing to? The pass was about 7 yards short of a Utah player who had fallen down. Absolutely zero chance of a completion. That was a Milton running out of bounds as time expired kinda play. Less about stellar D and more about a terrible choice by their qb. If you think Hooker will make those mistakes when y’all come to Neyland, you are in for an awakening.

So yeah, your d has weaknesses that the way less talented pac 12 offense should have beaten, but came up short. Our offense is a different beast. Heup is gonna take advantage of the undisciplined play of DE#1 to get our run game going. Hooker isn’t gonna s#!/ his pants like the Utah qb and Heup is gonna practice a 2 minute drill. Also, Richardson is gonna complete passes and run for some yards, but you better believe our D will have a better plan to try and limit that. No one else on your offense is striking fear in the hearts of America. You have one guy who Utah couldn’t stop. But again, I don’t think they have running qbs out west or something bc Utah didn’t even have a game plan for that.

Do you feel better about that analysis? I tried to say y’all did some good things.

We can’t talk about how we were vanilla against our cupcake and then talk about how bad everyone else was against theirs. Most were vanilla also. Hard to read into most of these games

While I don’t agree with a lot he said TN was vanilla and scored 59 and could have scored 80 if they had keep running their offense, some other teams struggled with really bad teams into the second half of their game.

Georgia is elite. There’s no spinning that.

Their biggest flaw is their QB. He just happens to be playing way above himself right now. There will some teams that get inside his head this season, and he will cost them at least 1 to 2 games this season.

Reactions: igotworms
Pitt isn't what they were last year but they're still solid. We're in for a dog fight.

Florida is better than I thought, but still beatable. Again, dog fight.

LSU is hot garbage.

Kentucky isn't impressive. Neither is SC.

Mizzou is Mizzou, Vandy is Vandy.

Alabama and Georgia are who we thought they were.

Not saying we'll go 10-2, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

You have one guy who Utah couldn’t stop.

You’ve done a lot of typing this morning, almost therapeutically trying to convince yourself Florida is an easy out and their win was “meh, no big deal.”

Regarding AR, throughout history, a lot of great teams have done a lot of great things by having that “one guy” another team couldn’t stop. Sometimes that one guy can burn you if you spy him and burn you if you don’t spy him. Some dudes are just good and the answers aren’t easy.

I think TN has a really good chance to beat UF this year. I think TN is improved and well coached. I’ll be more confident one way or the other after I’ve seen UF/KY and TN/Pitt play. But I also know that Florida was way grittier, way tougher and way more polished than I could have imagined going into game 1 vs a very good Utah team, and I have complete confidence FL won’t have inferior athletes vs anyone they play outside of Georgia and maybe aTm.

I also think Florida’s defense probably matches up better with TN’s offense than Utah’s offense (I know that’ll be an unpopular opinion and it’s NOT a shot at TN).. TN has an excellent offense! But from UF’s perspective, Utah has two dominate TE’s, a big bruising RB, experience dudes on OL who make a living pounding the run game, and a scheme that is run heavy. Florida has quality SEC LB’s and elite athletes in the Secondary, but an average interior DL. Personally, I’d rather play a team that is fast-paced and wide open and likes to chunk it around vs a team that can ram it down our throats and hit the TE consistently. But that’s just me. Good luck vs Pitt and may we both show up undefeated in Neyland in a few weeks. That’s where both programs belong.

Is there anything any of these opponents did that was any good?

Hell, you made it sound like Georgia looked like trash.
Agreed...after week one, my knee jerk reactions are:
1. UGA just reloaded....no rebuild for them. Still heads and shoulders above everyone else in the East
2. UF is not the weakling that we thought they were. New coach has instilled some discipline and order to the chaos that was. This will be a dogfight for us
3. Pitt--they did not look like a pushover either....will be a game there that will tell us a lot
4. LSU--did not look organized....looked a lot like how we used to look, and their luck reminds me of our luck in the (hopefully) past.
5-7. USCe, UK, Mizzou--did not see anything concerning. All three struggled against lesser opponents (like we used to do). They all won, but the games were not decided until late in 2nd quarter

If we are going to beat:

1. Pitt--gotta be in the QBs face and pressure him. He did not look good if there was pressure on him.
2. UF--Going to have to stop the QB from running wild all over the place
3. LSU--see #2 above
4. UGA---forget about it....it is in Athens as well
5. Alabama--long shot, but better chance to beat them over UGA since it is at home

You’re calling Utah overrated because Florida beat them. Utah was all over the experts “playoff team contender” just about everywhere. They returned 18 starters from a team that hung 45 on Ohio State in the Rose Bowl 9 months ago. Personally, I was extremely impressed by them. I’ve seen teams melt in the environment they were in, and they just kept coming.

#1 Brenton Cox, had a good game, 10 tackles and 3 tackles for loss. But yeah, he sucks.

“Spy Richardson and 75% of the offense is negated.” You’ll be forced to understand what you should have already seen if you were being honest about what you watched: Florida has a really, really good OL and several very good RB’s. Young Etienne looks special as a true freshman and he’s 3rd on the depth chart.

A fair assessment of Florida is they look to be a solid team. Not title contenders, probably not even SEC East contenders (although that can change with wins over KY and TN), but a team that can play with just about anybody. Weaknesses are interior DT’s, pass catching TE, pass rush could improve as well. WR’s were a concern coming in but I thought a few guys played well Saturday (Pearsall and Henderson). Strengths are - one of the most gifted athletes I’ve ever seen at QB. I’m convinced AR could excel in the NFL at QB, RB, WR, OLB or Safety, and if you’ve ever seen him on a basketball court you’ll know, the NBA. OL is the best UF has had in many years, with some good depth there. Secondary is deep and talented, talented guys like Kamar Wilcoxson and Corey Collier riding the pine because others in front of them. Ventrell Miller is a total stud at LB, Amari Burney is a crafty vet, Shemar James looks to be the next great LB at UF, playing major minutes as a true freshman.

The hopeful thing for Florida is that young guys on the DL will get better and help strengthen that unit which was getting gouged in the second half vs Utah. If that happens, UF has a chance to win 9 or 10 games. If it doesn’t, we’re still looking around 7 wins.

ESPN and FloridaGators.com have Brenton Cox with .5 TFLs. I saw his now deleted twitter post begging for attention claiming 2.5. Glad you’ve upped it to 3. Both sites only have a total of 2 tfls for the game for your entire defense. Football vs Utah on 9/3/2022 - Box Score - Florida Gators
He’s a gifted athlete but this is exactly what I was talking about - he’s all about stats and personal glory and not about doing the right thing for his team. On Utah’s second to last td drive (to go up 19-14), he crashed on the RB and the qb pulled it and picked up 20+ yards. The next play Cox rushed too deep and left a giant hole that their rb ran right through for the easy td. A good OC sees Cox as someone to exploit, not someone to fear.

Utah isn’t a bad team, so good win. They return 18 starters from a Rose Bowl team that gave up 48 to Ohio St and couldn’t make a stop in the second half or score on their last drive when they needed a W. Sound familiar? They panicked against Ohio and they panicked against Florida when it counted.

People were picking them in the playoffs because who else is on their schedule? They play in the PAC-12. Someone also picked NC State to make the playoffs. Everyone tires of hearing Bama, Ohio, Clemson, uga in the playoffs during talking season, so pundits say crazy things to get views and clicks. Welcome to the internet age, it’s been going on for a while.

AR’s good, but that’s my point. Utah didn’t seem to scheme against him at all. They acted like they didn’t expect him to be a gifted athlete. So, play a defense that knows AR is good and some of that is negated. If Utah takes away AR’s running then he’s left with less than 175 passing. Didn’t exactly torch their secondary. They probably have a better secondary than us, but we have some young guys sitting the bench as well. Turnage was a Bama to uga to Tennessee transfer at CB that can’t get on the field because of talent in front of him. James Pearce is gonna be the next great OLB/edge at UT, getting minutes as a true freshman. We’re hopeful our D grows as well.

I’m just saying that Florida’s win wasn’t perfect. Utah was throwing into the end zone from the 3 to win the game. It took a terrible pass from their qb to not at least go to overtime. I’d say Utah lost the game more than Florida won.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Their biggest flaw is their QB. He just happens to be playing way above himself right now. There will some teams that get inside his head this season, and he will cost them at least 1 to 2 games this season.
Georgia was elite last year. They are not elite this year. They are not as efficient on offense or defense as they were last year. I expect our game with them will be an exciting one. We will have a chance, but they will be favored by 6-8 points.

I told Vandy good job. 🤣

The idea was to look for weaknesses. Are the gators worried about Scarolina after seeing them losing in the 2nd half to Ga St? Are you worried about Kentucky after they kicked a fg as time expired at the half to go up 13-10? Are you worried about LSU and the dysfunction on that team?

Congrats to your gators and uga for beating PAC-12 schools. UGA rolled theirs but they weren’t perfect. We have a much better offense than Oregon. So, look for where our o can exploit some weaknesses. Doesn’t matter on D because georgia’s O was 7/7 on tds against Oregon. Our D literally could not play worse than what Oregon did.

The gators played an exciting game. Anthony Richardson ran for a lot of yards when the pac-12 defense thought qbs weren’t allowed to run or something because they didn’t seem to have any sort of plan for that. Richardson didn’t make mistakes in the passing game but he didn’t wow with his 168 yards in the air. His running was the killer. Thus the line about spying him and playing zone to take away a significant amount of your offensive production.

And your D? Come on. Y’all score with 1:25 left and then let a team that was supposed to suffer from the humidity march all the way down the field with only one timeout to your 3 yard line. Inexplicably, Utah still acted like they had never run a 2 minute offense in practice because they completed 4 yard passes in bounds for no first downs to waste clock, and then would rush the ball to the ref after they got a first down and the clock stopped so he could set it faster and wind the clock. They wasted so much time.

Great diving interception by your defender to end the game, but that was a total deer in headlights moment for that Utah qb. Who was he throwing to? The pass was about 7 yards short of a Utah player who had fallen down. Absolutely zero chance of a completion. That was a Milton running out of bounds as time expired kinda play. Less about stellar D and more about a terrible choice by their qb. If you think Hooker will make those mistakes when y’all come to Neyland, you are in for an awakening.

So yeah, your d has weaknesses that the way less talented pac 12 offense should have beaten, but came up short. Our offense is a different beast. Heup is gonna take advantage of the undisciplined play of DE#1 to get our run game going. Hooker isn’t gonna s#!/ his pants like the Utah qb and Heup is gonna practice a 2 minute drill. Also, Richardson is gonna complete passes and run for some yards, but you better believe our D will have a better plan to try and limit that. No one else on your offense is striking fear in the hearts of America. You have one guy who Utah couldn’t stop. But again, I don’t think they have running qbs out west or something bc Utah didn’t even have a game plan for that.

Do you feel better about that analysis? I tried to say y’all did some good things.

I'm not going to address all of this, but I wasn't really focused on Florida.

The post didn't specify that you were looking at weaknesses you saw. It said "here's how our opponents did".

And it's rather dismissive. For instance, take Vandy. I don't think Vandy will end up having a great record or anything of the sort. However, if you can't watch them and tell that they are clearly better, you're missing something. While they had nowhere to go but up, it would be incorrect to not acknowledge that it may not be doormat Vandy this year. Maybe not bowl eligible Vandy. Maybe still bottom of the division Vandy. But, still a much better Vandy.

And Georgia, your comments blow off their performance as against an overrated Pac 12 team. Well, let's pretend Oregon is merely a 7-5 bowl eligible team at year's end. I can't remember the last time Florida beat a bowl eligible team from a Power 5 by a score of 49-3 (46 point margin) and looked that good doing it. I challenge you to find the last time Tennessee did that. To keep Oregon out of the end zone after all the talent Georgia lost to the draft was impressive.

Agreed...after week one, my knee jerk reactions are:
1. UGA just reloaded....no rebuild for them. Still heads and shoulders above everyone else in the East
2. UF is not the weakling that we thought they were. New coach has instilled some discipline and order to the chaos that was. This will be a dogfight for us
3. Pitt--they did not look like a pushover either....will be a game there that will tell us a lot
4. LSU--did not look organized....looked a lot like how we used to look, and their luck reminds me of our luck in the (hopefully) past.
5-7. USCe, UK, Mizzou--did not see anything concerning. All three struggled against lesser opponents (like we used to do). They all won, but the games were not decided until late in 2nd quarter

If we are going to beat:

1. Pitt--gotta be in the QBs face and pressure him. He did not look good if there was pressure on him.
2. UF--Going to have to stop the QB from running wild all over the place
3. LSU--see #2 above
4. UGA---forget about it....it is in Athens as well
5. Alabama--long shot, but better chance to beat them over UGA since it is at home
We have beaten Georgia in Athens a couple of times when they had the better team. We just might be able to do it again this year.

Reactions: RockyTop140

VN Store

Back