2022 Rivals Review Week 1

Gators looked like a team that is completely bought in on their new coach. Every week that goes by, they'll be harder and harder to beat.

I predict that in 2 years, LSU is going to feel stupid for letting Napiere out of the state.
I'm not a Napier fan but he is a better coach then LSU has. Brian Kelly is a **** bag and deserves many more losses.

No way Utah wins out unless coaching gets smarter and they find some wide receivers. The TE cant do it all and their best running back was completely winded. I will add the qb **** the bed on the toss and his int in the endzone. So he really isn't a great decision maker either with the game on the line. They should have never put him in those situations and you also nrver not take points on the road in a close game when you don't have athletes... EVER. Utah knew they were never going to out athlete UF.

Just my opinion but they have a soft schedule, I still think they win out.

Reactions: Jaws
I can agree with UF looked better than at any time a season ago. That said Utah lost 4 games last year and look to be on the same track. I look at them and I don't see speed or playmakers. I see the tight end for sure. He could play in this league but the coaching in that game was piss poor and I like Whittingham. His decision making is a big part of why UF won the game. AR looks special in the fact he makes others look better around him. I don't think UF is a bad team but I don't think Utah is a great team by any means. I dont like your depth at RB or DL I also wasn't sold on your secondary. I mean we are talking about the SEC as a conference that is 14-1 to start the season. Alabama is going to prison rape Texas. It is basically UGA and Bama.. OSU can not compete with either. Everyone else is on the same playing field and I will conclude A&M, Kentucky and even Arkansas did not look good imo.

I think this is fair. I do disagree with regard to UF’s RB’s and Secondary. Wright, Johnson and Etienne all looked great at RB - Etienne a true freshman 👀.

Utah doesn’t have the type of offense that really showcases what a secondary can do. They wear out your LB’s with their TE’s and RB’s. I’m sure they completed a few passes to actual WR’s but none that I can remember being anything of significance. I’d imagine KY will challenge UF’s secondary much more than Utah did, TN most definitely will.

Leaving off the G5 or less teams on the schedule here's how our opponents did after week 1:

Pitt (1-0): Beat WVU. Anyone who watched this game saw their O and D lines aren't where they were reported to be over Fall camp. DBs got bailed out by WVU WRs dropping almost everything that hit them in the hands. Rush D and Pass D were not strong. On offense, Slovis was meh. They aren't going to be able to keep up with our O next week.

Florida (1-0): Beat Utah. Guess what? A Pac 12 team was overrated. Utah's offense never had much of an identity. Even still, running towards uf's de #1 almost always led to a gain because that guy couldn't set an edge to save his life. Stat chaser, not team player. On D, play more zone and spy Richardson and 75% of the uf offense is negated. If the Utah qb (or entire offense) doesn't panic that entire last drive, uf loses and people talk about a 'good effort' from florida.

LSU (0-1): Lost to FSU. Terrible locker room culture. Coach who can't win big games. DL injured against FSU. D can't set the edge. O is dysfunctional. Hooker gonna feast. For the Brian Kelly lovers out there, here's his record while at ND vs the top 10:
2021: loss to number 7 cincy
2020: beat number 1 clemson without trevor lawrence, lost to number 3 clemson, lost to number 1 alabama
2019: lost to number 3 Georgia
2018: beat number 7 stanford, lost to number 2 clemson
2017: lost to number 7 Miami
2016: no top 10 games
2015: lost to number 7 ohio state
2014: lost to number 4 FSU
2013: lost to number 8 Stanford
2012: vacated
2011: lost to number 4 stanford
2010: no top 10 games
He was 2-10 with a win against Stanford and DJU.
***Edit to add Boutte has deleted all references to LSU on his social media. See locker room culture above.***

Alabama (1-0): Beat Utah St. Nothing gained from game against patsy.

Kentucky (1-0): Beat Miami Ohio. Led 13-10 at half. Nothing special on offense from uk. D was solid but nothing spectacular. Not worried about our game with them.

Georgia (1-0): Beat Oregon. Guess what? A Pac-12 team was overrated. Guess what else? Bo Nix still sucks. UGA has serious inexperience on D. Their run D was suspect. CBs were suspect. Their O looked good, but it was against a Pac-12 defense.

Missouri (1-0): Beat Louisiana Tech. Looked ok on O and D but it was La Tech after a coaching change and with a new qb. Mizzou wr #3 looked good.

South Carolina (1-0): Beat Georgia St. Losing to Ga St in 3rd qtr. Needed 2(!) blocked punts returned for tds to put the game away. Spencer Rattler won't be the starter by the time we play. No heart in that kid.

Candy (2-0): Beat Elon. Good job Vandy. You won 2 games. Now you will lose a lot. They are a cupcake who happens to be in the SEC.

We all do this every year after the first weekend, and we're all mostly wrong every year because some teams are overrated pre-season, some underrated, and it's still difficult to tell which are which right now, sometimes difficult even after several games. Teams start fast and fizzle out, others start slow and come on strong as the season progresses. Injuries happen, players get healthy, teams gel, or maybe get disillusioned and quit. By week 7, most of the facts averred across the cfb landscape this week will prove to be partially or completely fiction.

Definitely agree about WVU's receivers having a bad day. I felt bad for JT Daniels and wish he'd gone somewhere with a better OL and WR's.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Their biggest flaw is their QB. He just happens to be playing way above himself right now. There will some teams that get inside his head this season, and he will cost them at least 1 to 2 games this season.
Folks were saying that last season, too. Kid can play. He's a baller and a winner. Might never sniff the NFL but as a college QB, he's damned good enough.

I think this is fair. I do disagree with regard to UF’s RB’s and Secondary. Wright, Johnson and Etienne all looked great at RB - Etienne a true freshman 👀.

Utah doesn’t have the type of offense that really showcases what a secondary can do. They wear out your LB’s with their TE’s and RB’s. I’m sure they completed a few passes to actual WR’s but none that I can remember being anything of significance. I’d imagine KY will challenge UF’s secondary much more than Utah did, TN most definitely will.
What I meant about your RBs was that I don't see a game changer in that group. Etienne may get there but I honestly think most of what was successful is because of AR. I'm not sure UF can get bowl eligible without him. AR is that kind of player. The guy may be the highest drafted qb when hes eligible. He and Milton have a lot of the same physical traits honestly although AR has a little more speed. All in all UT and UF are in very similar situations. This might actually be the best game we have seen between the two in a long while.

Outside of last year, Georgia has always had a game or two under Kirby where they slip up. Now they’re still absolutely loaded, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we are able to stay in that one until the end

When are people going to quit confusing Kirby with Mark Richt? He's had one slip up and that was against South Carolina. You cannot guarantee any slip up with Kirby every year much less a game or two. Georgia has lost whenever they were supposed to lose. Nobody was beating LSU a couple years ago and Florida was a really good team two years ago and everybody has lost to Alabama. That's just a ridiculous statement and belongs in the pre-Kirby era for Georgia. As it stands right now there are only three coaches who have had three seasons of 12 or more wins in the SEC and that would be Saban, Meyer, and Smart. He played for the national championship in two of his first six years coaching. I don't know what more he can do other than win them every year but even Saban doesn't do that.

They're not elite. They are good, but not elite.
Picked up where they left off last year I would say they're elite. Offense was really good last year but got overshadowed by the stellar defense. This year the office will be stellar and the defense will still be top 10 if not top five as it always is with Kirby. Alabama and Georgia have a way of making good teams look really bad. That's what happens with year end and year out top three recruiting.

Their biggest flaw is their QB. He just happens to be playing way above himself right now. There will some teams that get inside his head this season, and he will cost them at least 1 to 2 games this season.

I just don’t see that. He has matured and turned into a sound leader. He has now gone toe to toe against Alabama with everything on the line multiple times. What teams are going to get into his head at this point?

Reactions: Visiting Dawg
Florida is good. There’s no sense in trying to trick ourselves that they aren’t. That doesn’t mean that we can’t beat them though

I just don’t see that. He has matured and turned into a sound leader. He has now gone toe to toe against Alabama with everything on the line multiple times. What teams are going to get into his head at this point?

Yeah, there are things you can criticize the kid for but his last 3 games have been vs #2 in the semifinals, #1 in the championship game and #11 in the opener and he's gone 62 of 87 for 906 yards 71% 10.4 YPA 7 Tds and 0 ints. His team has won by 23, 15 and 46 in those 3 games. If none of the last 3 opponents got into his head on the big stages, I'm not sure I see any D on their schedule getting into his head.

I come in peace and not to say UGA did something great vs a juggernaut D but they scored TDs on their first 7 drives and finished the game at over 9 yards PER PLAY. I understand that you could argue the O will face better defenses but honestly, offenses can't play much more efficiently than that and there is simply no logical argument to be made after week one that this O is less efficient than last yrs UGA O.[

I come in peace and not to say UGA did something great vs a juggernaut D but they scored TDs on their first 7 drives and finished the game at over 9 yards PER PLAY. I understand that you could argue the O will face better defenses but honestly, offenses can't play much more efficiently than that and there is simply no logical argument to be made after week one that this O is less efficient than last yrs UGA O.
I ad just relaying what I saw in the game and I have watched a lot of SEC football in my 83+ years including Tennessee in 1985-1989 when my son played for the VOLS. I guess we were lookin at the game from different eyes, You are entitled to your opinion and I have the right to my opinion. My opinion is based on a lot of experience so I think I will stay with mine.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Right now I believe it will be during the three game stretch with Florida, Tennessee, and Mississippi State. Wouldn’t shock me if they lost two out of those three.

I ad just relaying what I saw in the game and I have watched a lot of SEC football in my 83+ years including Tennessee in 1985-1989 when my son played for the VOLS. I guess we were lookin at the game from different eyes, You are entitled to your opinion and I have the right to my opinion. My opinion is based on a lot of experience so I think I will stay with mine.

How many times during your time as a SEC observer have you seen a team score 7 TDs on their first 7 drives of the game then pull the starting QB, have no plays over 40 yards and still average 9 yards per play and beat a team that is probably deserving of a ranking somewhere between 20-25 by 46 and then said, boy they really aren't very efficient on O?

Georgia was elite last year. They are not elite this year. They are not as efficient on offense or defense as they were last year. I expect our game with them will be an exciting one. We will have a chance, but they will be favored by 6-8 points.

Good Lord. They scored 7 TDs on 7 possessions. It doesn’t get any more efficient. I think we can score on them More than last year. Not sure how well we’re going to stop them. I would like to see us competitive late into the third quarter.

Reactions: Credo2
Not a bad assessment, but I still feel you stop Richardson and that offense will stall. That is not a bad thing, UF has a remarkably mobile QB who will hurt most every team they play with his legs....not his arm....his legs. They key to beating UF is to keep Richardson's scrambling yards to < 50 total yards.

Watching Utah.....they could get some pressure on him, and he is quicker to run than to throw when under pressure and having to leave the pocket. Stop him, keep him contained, and do not give him lanes to escape. You do that, you beat UF. The problem is that will be much harder to do than just sitting here on a computer typing it. He is a big, strong QB who can shake arm tackles. So this will be a challenge for most any team they face.

Now, no one is beating UGA in the SEC this year (their WEST teams are MSST and AUB). But UF will be right behind them (should beat LSU and I can't tell enough about aTm yet). UT-UF will be a key game in the east.
What he does best is what we struggle with. There were multiple times Utah got their hands on him but couldn’t bring him down because of his size and speed. And our tackling is still suspect. And we all know our pass cover is sketchy so far. But at the end of the day, I still think we can score a lot of points on their defense and come out on top.

I found the answer on Tennessee's end. The last time Tennessee beat a Power 5 opponent that was bowl eligible by 46 points was in 1993.

Tennessee beat Kentucky 48-0

Like that was sooo long ago. You made me spill coffee on my duckhead pants ya prick

VN Store

Back