2022 Fall Practice #1

Yes. It was a good evaluation. Out of a desperate situation. Helton had just spent 2-3 years at USC. Did he have a USC offer? Nope. Did he have any PAC 10 offers? Nope. Kids a great player and Heupel has done a great job coaching him. Doesn’t change the fact that we got him because some other people said no. Not that hard to understand when we was literally offered less than 72 hours before NSD. If Helton was so enamored with him, he would have offered him at his previous job when he was only 3 hours from him.
You are speculating that Helton wouldn't have offered had he not moved. We will never know how that would have turned out though it is likely he never plays at UT.

I would not diminish the credit Heupel deserves for giving Tillman opportunities to show his talent. However, he was capable before. Between JG being awful and Pruitt being so old school that UT had no O... there just weren't many chances for Tillman to shine.

No one said first, that's how good this thread is. Don't know why people doing that bothers me. lol

Reactions: sonofUT62
You are speculating that Helton wouldn't have offered had he not moved. We will never know how that would have turned out though it is likely he never plays at UT.

I would not diminish the credit Heupel deserves for giving Tillman opportunities to show his talent. However, he was capable before. Between JG being awful and Pruitt being so old school that UT had no O... there just weren't many chances for Tillman to shine.

I never said any of that. None of it. Let me see if I can do this in a way that puts us both out of our misery. UT had other WRs they were interested in ahead of Tillman. Those WRs wanted to go elsewhere, including one who was rated lower than Tillman before Pruitt offered him. That guy fell through at the last minute so they offered Tillman. And don’t try to claim that Helton was going to offer him if he stayed at USC. He took the job sometime in mid November. Guess what that was the first year of? ESD. So he hasn’t offered him 15 days before ESD and he didn’t offer him until almost 3 months on the job at UT and 3 days before NSD? We had other people tell us no, so we ended up with Tillman. Usually the reverse happens to us (Patrick Willis/ Daniel Brooks). We got a little lucky this time. Everything else you said about JG and Pruitt I’ll buy.

I never said any of that. None of it. Let me see if I can do this in a way that puts us both out of our misery. UT had other WRs they were interested in ahead of Tillman. Those WRs wanted to go elsewhere, including one who was rated lower than Tillman before Pruitt offered him. That guy fell through at the last minute so they offered Tillman. And don’t try to claim that Helton was going to offer him if he stayed at USC. He took the job sometime in mid November. Guess what that was the first year of? ESD. So he hasn’t offered him 15 days before ESD and he didn’t offer him until almost 3 months on the job at UT and 3 days before NSD? We had other people tell us no, so we ended up with Tillman. Usually the reverse happens to us (Patrick Willis/ Daniel Brooks). We got a little lucky this time. Everything else you said about JG and Pruitt I’ll buy.
I am not claiming anything really other than it being a good call to take Tillman when other guys who were rated higher were not taken. You don't think UT could have gotten anyone else?

Tillman had talent. Like many others... no one at top schools had noticed. Rivals even said he didn't have talent. Pruitt/Helton signed him anyway. That was a good call... a good eval.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I am not claiming anything really other than it being a good call to take Tillman when other guys who were rated higher were not taken. You don't think UT could have gotten anyone else?

Tillman had talent. Like many others... no one at top schools had noticed. Rivals even said he didn't have talent. Pruitt/Helton signed him anyway. That was a good call... a good eval.

You follow recruiting as much as I do. Are people who are a priority normally offered 3 days before NSD? After ESD? It’s called a backup plan and that’s what he was at the time. I find it bizarre that for the mere sake of arguing with me, you talk about how offensively backwards Pruitt was, but you’re trying to convince me that he had this master scheme to steal CT 70 hours before NSD? AGAIN….it doesn’t mean that Tillman isn’t/ wasn’t a great player. We just got him because others said no. For Pete’s sakes…..he took his first visit to campus….official or unofficial……AFTER SIGNING.

You follow recruiting as much as I do. Are people who are a priority normally offered 3 days before NSD? After ESD?
Where did I say they made him a priority? They had other guys they wanted. They fell through. They appear to have had higher rated guys that they wanted less than him. That's still a good eval.

It’s called a backup plan and that’s what he was at the time. I find it bizarre that for the mere sake of arguing with me, you talk about how offensively backwards Pruitt was, but you’re trying to convince me that he had this master scheme to steal CT 70 hours before NSD? AGAIN….it doesn’t mean that Tillman isn’t/ wasn’t a great player. We just got him because others said no. For Pete’s sakes…..he took his first visit to campus….official or unofficial……AFTER SIGNING.
Not what I've said at any point in this conversation.

Where did I say they made him a priority? They had other guys they wanted. They fell through. They appear to have had higher rated guys that they wanted less than him. That's still a good eval.

Not what I've said at any point in this conversation.

You didn’t call Pruitt offensively old school but also claim he was part of a great evaluation on Tillman?

big-daddy-hell-yes.gif

Bru looks the part...
Multiple reports of him looking out of shape…I hope that’s not due to work ethic. Hopefully just rust from sitting out last year. Also, I’ve seen him in pitchers and he doesn’t look as big as hyped

Milton’s delivery in that last video looks sharp. If he could just get it together on the field, dude would be an absolute force.
They should let our defense tackle him in practice. I think he is afraid to get hit at least that's what it seemed to me last year.

Multiple reports of him looking out of shape…I hope that’s not due to work ethic. Hopefully just rust from sitting out last year. Also, I’ve seen him in pitchers and he doesn’t look as big as hyped
He is gonna have a big year

That's it, every time Squirrel White has a big play, I'm shouting Hallelujah! And I'll think of Ray Stevens with fond memories as well.

Go Vols!
We could spontaneously burst into song, ... Wonder what 100,000 fans singing "Hallelujah, the day the squirrel..." would sound like inside the stadium. We need to see if we can get someone to cue up the music .... :^))))))

You know Hadden didn't play bad in bowl game considering he played with one heathly shoulder. Couldn't move the other one much but we had to have him. I believe he will be the breakout player on D if he stays healthy
And Turrentine also will be a good player once he learns system and calls. Walker again brings experience. We may not have that one big star but our depth will be better. Charles also could be a positive at corner as well. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
My point is that we would have never known about that talent if he had ended up at Fresno State or UNLV which is about where his offer list was. Pruitt swung at some big receivers and missed. He ironically found an even bigger diamond in the rough while he was scouting Garland That kid rewarded us for being by far his best offer by jumping to FSU. We then offered Tillman and VN wasn’t happy. Again we got lucky and Heupel has gotten the talent out of him.
Would it have been “lucky” if Pruitt stayed and this guy entered the working world (prolly alongside Velus) with forgettable college stats? DIAMONDS gotta be mined…or they’re just rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinBob
Heup wouldn’t have taken him if he saw a lack of work ethic. That seems very high on his list of non negotiable attributes for a player

Not sure what to make about the comment on the one player looking like he had “spent the last 3 years in an ACC program”. I guess it was a compliment?
I wasn't sure either. I think they meant it as a compliment, but it was a little like saying "you don't look tired today". Insinuating that you usually look tired.

VN Store

Back