2022 Fall Practice #1

You create your LUCK. How fortunate a find was he up until Heupel took over?

I’m not disagreeing with that. But he wouldn’t have been here at all until Pruitt missed on 3-4 other targets. I’m not questioning that Huepel turned his career around.

WooooooohoooooooGooooooBiiiiiiiiigOrannnnnnnnge! How great is it to be getting started with the 2022 Pre-season practices! Thank you for all you do to cover this and provide insight. We gonna be better than last year....I can feel it. Love the chemistry. September and the first game can't get here soon enough!

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Not full pads. That is shells (helmets and shoulder pads). Difference from the shells you remember is they're wearing longer shorts that look a lot more like breeches (but without pads).

The first 3 or 4 days of fall camp, they're not allowed full pads; it's an adjusting period.
Remember playing in full pads 45 years ago around the first of Aug. Temps only around low to mid 80s for morning & low 90s for evening practices. Middle Ga in late sommer. Didn’t get play a lot. Small, fast white boy. Did make Gatorade player of the year my senior year. Not because I was good, but because I could drink more of it than any one else on the team. Eat those nuts Squirrel. Make Willie Gualt & Jeff Powell look slow. Your the best Freak!!!!! Now if we can just find a way to bring John Ward back. GBO!!!

I’m not disagreeing with that. But he wouldn’t have been here at all until Pruitt missed on 3-4 other targets. I’m not questioning that Huepel turned his career around.
My point is there was TALENT…we simply weren’t aware of it (except for Chizzle). Same as Velus. We land those “3-4 other targets”? You betting that Heupel and crew don’t get significantly more out of them? It’s why better coaches get paid.

Who we got after 3-4 other receivers turned us down and Young flipped to FSU. Let’s not act like getting Tillman was smart recruiting or good evaluation. We got really lucky.
No. It was an excellent recruiting eval. Tyson Helton appears to have been heavily involved.

None of us know who was or was not above him on UT's recruiting board.

No. It was an excellent recruiting eval. Tyson Helton appears to have been heavily involved.

None of us know who was or was not above him on UT's recruiting board.

Yes. It was an excellent recruiting evaluation, where he was offered on February 4th…..3 whole days before NSD and after Young flipped to FSU. Too bad there’s a pesky internet where it took me a whole 25 seconds to look that up. We wanted him the whole time and it was part of Pruitt and Heltons master plan. 🙄🙄

My point is there was TALENT…we simply weren’t aware of it (except for Chizzle). Same as Velus. We land those “3-4 other targets”? You betting that Heupel and crew don’t get significantly more out of them? It’s why better coaches get paid.

My point is that we would have never known about that talent if he had ended up at Fresno State or UNLV which is about where his offer list was. Pruitt swung at some big receivers and missed. He ironically found an even bigger diamond in the rough while he was scouting Garland That kid rewarded us for being by far his best offer by jumping to FSU. We then offered Tillman and VN wasn’t happy. Again we got lucky and Heupel has gotten the talent out of him.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Yes. It was an excellent recruiting evaluation, where he was offered on February 4th…..3 whole days before NSD and after Young flipped to FSU. Too bad there’s a pesky internet where it took me a whole 25 seconds to look that up. We wanted him the whole time and it was part of Pruitt and Heltons master plan. 🙄🙄
Nothing... absolutely NOTHING you just wrote had anything to do with it being a great eval.

I'm not a supporter of Pruitt. He wasn't a very good coach. Helton is a very good O coach who had contacts out west. He wasn't a very good HC. As bad as they were at UT, not everything they did was terrible. There were other, higher rated, options available when they offered then signed Tillman.

Tillman is a GREAT proof against the recruiting sites. Rivals called him a 2*. Those are special guys. Rivals and 247 hand out all sorts of 3* ratings to guys they don't really know very well beyond their offer list. To get 2*... the recruiting service looked, "evaluated", and decided a guy wasn't any good..

Nothing... absolutely NOTHING you just wrote had anything to do with it being a great eval.

I'm not a supporter of Pruitt. He wasn't a very good coach. Helton is a very good O coach who had contacts out west. He wasn't a very good HC. As bad as they were at UT, not everything they did was terrible. There were other, higher rated, options available when they offered then signed Tillman.

Tillman is a GREAT proof against the recruiting sites. Rivals called him a 2*. Those are special guys. Rivals and 247 hand out all sorts of 3* ratings to guys they don't really know very well beyond their offer list. To get 2*... the recruiting service looked, "evaluated", and decided a guy wasn't any good..

If you knew they wanted him from day 1, it would be fair to call it a great eval. The evidence seems to suggest he was a backup plan behind many busts. That would suggest a poor eval that they got lucky on

Love all the competition in the secondary.

Also like seeing that Eason appears to be working at DT and Baron at SDE. Both seem better suited there and fill areas of need.
Noticed that about Eason as well. Him growing into DT could be a really good sign for the future of the Vols. That was a pattern during UT's best years. The result was often guys who were extremely athletic for their new position.

Reactions: Orangeburst
First day of fall practice - optimistic abounds! Great reports for most everyone.

Yes. It was a good evaluation. Out of a desperate situation. Helton had just spent 2-3 years at USC. Did he have a USC offer? Nope. Did he have any PAC 10 offers? Nope. Kids a great player and Heupel has done a great job coaching him. Doesn’t change the fact that we got him because some other people said no. Not that hard to understand when we was literally offered less than 72 hours before NSD. If Helton was so enamored with him, he would have offered him at his previous job when he was only 3 hours from him.

Reactions: Vol8188

VN Store

Back