2022 Army game bought out (merged)

I can't believe some of you whiners that want to play Army even thought there are good reasons not too that don't have anything to do with losing.
You guys would argue with a fence post.

Just paid Army $500,000 to cancel the contract and not play next year and replaced them with Akron. Now Army is without a game next year. Any details on any other reason we would have dropped this game?

So it appears that we have tired of complaint about the Head Coach, the quarterbacks so we have moved on to next year’s schedule. We are great fans at UT! We complain about everything, even if it makes sound business and financial sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBtime
I can't believe there are fans who are actually okay with taking Army off the schedule because it would be considered a tough matchup. Since when did Tennessee back away from playing anyone?

I also think this would have been a good home and home series. A road game at West Point would be fun as well.
And a very good trip for our young men.

Just paid Army $500,000 to cancel the contract and not play next year and replaced them with Akron. Now Army is without a game next year. Any details on any other reason we would have dropped this game?
I would rather see the “pay to play” games go to the smaller schools that really benefit from it and need the money versus a 100% taxpayer/ government funded academy.

Heard it was 500,000 less? Maybe I read wrong.
We actually were going to pay them 1.4 million to play it. So we gave them 500k, and paid AKRON 1 million. So in total we lost 100k. It was smart to not play that game... Look at the schedule. AD and HC did a good job

Reactions: FBtime
I'd love to play Army but as others have said prefer not to with all the chop blocks they do in a game. SEC schedule is brutal enough without cheap shots.

Instead of cancelling, could we have just moved the game? I know 2022 does not work but what about 2023?

Also, I thought Oklahoma and Texas were coming to the SEC in 2022.

Reactions: PG1
I thought part of what made college football fun over the years was the different offenses that college football provided. Are you saying that we should only schedule teams that run the same offense? What kind of weak garbage is that. Do you see Notre Dame running away from Navy?

Let's face it. Fans like you are scared of Tennessee playing Army. It's quite sad. No wonder this program has gone downhill.
No one is scared of Army. Stop embarrassing yourself

Lol at these guys who can't fathom taking this game off the schedule. This game does not benefit UT, not one bit.
1. Cut blocks cause major injuries. Why take that chance when you won't play a single team like this ?
2. 100k is not a significant amount. Especially if your looking at your teams well being.
3. It was slated between Pitt and Florida who are much more important to UT than Army.
4. We are not in a position depth wise to take these chances. Hell Saban doesn't even want to play these type games. For one you can not prepare properly. 1 week to prepare for a triple option mid season is not in your favor. Ever.
5. Dave Hart scheduled this game.

I would rather see the “pay to play” games go to the smaller schools that really benefit from it and need the money versus a 100% taxpayer/ government funded academy.
You mean pay to come take ass whoopin games? Admit it easy W’s that help get us into meaningless Bowl games make you happy?

Nobody likes to play army, because nobody runs that crap offense. Hard to defend when you never play against it.

should have replaced Army with Tennessee Tech...............

Nobody likes to play army, because nobody runs that crap offense. Hard to defend when you never play against it.
Very few teams run our speed up gimmick offense either so teams don’t normally practice against it. Should teams refuse to play us?

You mean pay to come take ass whoopin games? Admit it easy W’s that help get us into meaningless Bowl games make you happy?
No the continuation of team building is most important. You can't build a team by playing unnecessary opponents who by design take out your kids legs. Having major injuries due to lack of preparedness. You simply can not prepare for a team with this type of offense. Especially in season. Maybe if you have all summer and it is the first game. Even then you don't see it enough throughout the season to schedule these games. If we played in a conference with teams similar sure. 1 week prep against Army is not in our best interests. We do not have the personnel to simulate what they do. We do not have the depth to overcome the injuries that are most certainly waiting.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I thought part of what made college football fun over the years was the different offenses that college football provided. Are you saying that we should only schedule teams that run the same offense? What kind of weak garbage is that. Do you see Notre Dame running away from Navy?

Let's face it. Fans like you are scared of Tennessee playing Army. It's quite sad. No wonder this program has gone downhill.
Yes as a fan base we have fallen that far. We are happy beating up on Pellissippi St and Johnson U. Stuff like this will be used against us in recruiting.

Dave Hart put Army on the schedule in 2016. Fulmer started the process to replace them his last year as AD. So now we are on our 3rd AD and 3rd football coach and with that different policy’s and Ideas. Me personally and being a Marine, I would love for us to play one of the service schools every year and rotate them every year.

Reactions: Volfan1000 and PG1

VN Store

Back