2022 Army game bought out (merged)

Army is a guaranteed win.

Ummm ok

But I highly doubt any team that is 38-16 over the past 5 seasons is an automatic win.

You realize that until this year Pitt hasn’t beaten a non conference power 5 opponent in 5 years.

Decent teams are no longer “automatic” wins for Tennessee…….simply because their non conference.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Ummm ok

But I highly doubt any team that is 38-16 over the past 5 seasons is an automatic win.

You realize that until this year Pitt hasn’t beaten a non conference power 5 opponent in 5 years.

Decent teams are no longer “automatic” wins for Tennessee…….simply because their non conference.

I have zero fear of Army. Yes I realized we lost to Pitt. Our team was also gutted in a sense. We would beat Army by 14+.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I have zero fear of Army. Yes I realized we lost to Pitt. Our team was also gutted in a sense. We would beat Army by 14+.

I don’t think anyone has a “fear” of Army.

I also think most folks believe Tennessee would beat Army, including myself.

However teams like Army (the Army of now) are no longer “automatic” for the “now” of Tennessee.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
I don’t think anyone has a “fear” of Army.

I also think most folks believe Tennessee would beat Army, including myself.

However teams like Army (the Army of now) are no longer “automatic” for the “now” of Tennessee.

I think Army would give us fits for awhile. But in the end, we take them.

Probably.

We can’t beat a Pitt team that managed to lose to Western Michigan. Not the University of Michigan, but Western Michigan. This Tennessee team, just like the ones before it, excels only at finding ways to lose the games that matter the most. Beating up on Tenn Tech and Bowling Green shouldn’t make anyone feel confident.

Ummmm that’s exactly what I am saying.

Financially they will make more by making a bowl than 500k.

The “whole” picture…..not simply what the bowl pays, vs what it will cost.

More revenue simply from the bowl
Increased revenue from basically everything else……at least for the next year.

How many new orange shirts do you think Tennessee could sell if Tennessee goes to the Music City Bowl?

Many millions, would Tennessee gain by attending a bowl game…..especially right about now.
Not to mention the extra 2 to 3 weeks of practices (usually 15 sessions) that provide development for the next season

Screw playing them! We already play at Pitt. If we played Army our schedule would have been
Ball State (easy)

THEN

@Pitt
Army perennial tough bowl team has reached dbl digit wins multiple times lately
Florida
@lsu
Bama

Give us Akron please

Reactions: WesternNCVol
So don’t play a team that can beat you? I wonder why this game was ever scheduled. Army’s talent even now is so far below ours it don’t matter if they ran a quadruple option we should play and beat them easily. This just looks bad.
I can't believe there are fans who are actually okay with taking Army off the schedule because it would be considered a tough matchup. Since when did Tennessee back away from playing anyone?

I also think this would have been a good home and home series. A road game at West Point would be fun as well.

Army 5 years running:
3-0
9-3
5-8
11-2
10-3

Akron:
1-2
1-5
0-12
4-8
7-7

One is a guaranteed win, one is not, and would be a grind out game before Florida.

A bowl will pay more than 500k…….Tennessee is and has been way down……right now their trying to get bowling again……sounds like priorities are in the right place to me.

It’s not like they don’t already play Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU and play Pitt non conference.
Last year they took West Va to the wire and took Michigan to overtime the year before I think

I can't believe there are fans who are actually okay with taking Army off the schedule because it would be considered a tough matchup. Since when did Tennessee back away from playing anyone?

I also think this would have been a good home and home series. A road game at West Point would be fun as well.
It’s not that it’s a tough matchup that people are worried about. It’s the fact that it’s a team that runs the triple option that will cut block all day and get our guys banged up. On top of that it’s sandwiched between Pitt and Florida. The last time we did something like that was 2006 when we scheduled Air Force between Cal and Florida. We lost Inky for his career and we lost our best defensive player in Justin Harrell with a torn bicep. We also almost lost the game even though we were a very good team that season. Scheduling any team that runs a triple option is dumb enough, but between Pitt and Florida ? No thanks.

Seriously… I won’t miss seeing 3 of our guys get cut blocked on every play.
We do get chopped blocked as much against Georgia and Vandy. However, they don't run the triple option which is just not worth spending so much time preparing for it instead of preparing for an SEC team. It is the best thing for any of the SEC teams to stay away from that offense.

Army could very well beat us next season at the very least get some of our players hurt with their chop blocking. That triple option is no fun to prepare for it’s a good decision to buy this game out.,

True Fulmer & Pruitt decided
1. Playing Army can get players hurt, 90% running plays you naturally have unwanted chop blocks
2. You could lose to a team you're paying 1.5 to play
3. This does nothing for your D in prepping for upcoming games & Our O gets fewer plays with TOP w/Army
4. The $$ you make from a Bowl you may have missed will more than make up for the 100 thousand difference
5. Akron is a better sandwich game between tough SEC games.
6. There is no great reason to play this game I think Pruitt was using Saban's thoughts on playing triple-option teams.

It’s not that it’s a tough matchup that people are worried about. It’s the fact that it’s a team that runs the triple option that will cut block all day and get our guys banged up. On top of that it’s sandwiched between Pitt and Florida. The last time we did something like that was 2006 when we scheduled Air Force between Cal and Florida. We lost Inky for his career and we lost our best defensive player in Justin Harrell with a torn bicep. We also almost lost the game even though we were a very good team that season. Scheduling any team that runs a triple option is dumb enough, but between Pitt and Florida ? No thanks.
I thought part of what made college football fun over the years was the different offenses that college football provided. Are you saying that we should only schedule teams that run the same offense? What kind of weak garbage is that. Do you see Notre Dame running away from Navy?

Let's face it. Fans like you are scared of Tennessee playing Army. It's quite sad. No wonder this program has gone downhill.

Reactions: roger77 and PG1

VN Store

Back