2022 Army game bought out (merged)

No the continuation of team building is most important. You can't build a team by playing unnecessary opponents who by design take out your kids legs. Having major injuries due to lack of preparedness. You simply can not prepare for a team with this type of offense. Especially in season. Maybe if you have all summer and it is the first game. Even then you don't see it enough throughout the season to schedule these games. If we played in a conference with teams similar sure. 1 week prep against Army is not in our best interests. We do not have the personnel to simulate what they do. We do not have the depth to overcome the injuries that are most certainly waiting.
I thought part of life was facing adversity and rising to the challenge. In this case they could rise to the challenge by preparing for an opponent who runs an offense they are not used to seeing. I'm sure the players and coaching staff are more than capable of preparing for Army. Wouldn't you agree?

We could lose a defensive player when we play Akron next year.
There are always risks involved with football. The style they play with the cut blocks by design is not beneficial. No coach of sound mind wants to play these teams. The players don't either. And I am glad the AD and HC saw that and made a change.

Reactions: Volatility
Just paid Army $500,000 to cancel the contract and not play next year and replaced them with Akron. Now Army is without a game next year. Any details on any other reason we would have dropped this game?
No SEC school likes playing the teams that run the triple Option much less a services school due to the type of offense they run. How often do we see UF, Bama, UGA, aTm and LSU play Army or Navy.

I thought part of life was facing adversity and rising to the challenge. In this case they could rise to the challenge by preparing for an opponent who runs an offense they are not used to seeing. I'm sure the players and coaching staff are more than capable of preparing for Army. Wouldn't you agree?
Ask Smart and Saban why they don’t schedule Army or Navy. Even they find it very difficult to prepare for them.

It's easier said that done - it is hard for teams to replicate the triple option look in practice that week, so it is difficult to prepare for it. Army took Oklahoma and Michigan, on the road, into OT in 2018 and 2019. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that they'd come in here next year and beat us.

We actually were going to pay them 1.4 million to play it. So we gave them 500k, and paid AKRON 1 million. So in total we lost 100k. It was smart to not play that game... Look at the schedule. AD and HC did a good job
This has been in the works since Fulmer last year. Dave Hart put them on schedule in 2016 and Fulmer started the process the replace them on the schedule when he was AD. It was more likely that Pruitt didn’t want this game so Fulmer got the ball rolling and White and Hueple just completed the deal.

This has been in the works since Fulmer last year. Dave Hart put them on schedule in 2016 and Fulmer started the process the replace them on the schedule when he was AD. It was more likely that Pruitt didn’t want this game so Fulmer got the ball rolling and White and Hueple just completed the deal.
I don't have any insight in this regard. Whoever got the ball rolling, they made the right decision. And I am happy our current AD and HC followed through. If we had teams that run similar offense and needed to prepare for them sure. Otherwise there is really no benefit and really not being able to preoare properly for them you are subjecting your players to increased risks. It was a smart decision in that regard

Reactions: Lurker
It's easier said that done - it is hard for teams to replicate the triple option look in practice that week, so it is difficult to prepare for it. Army took Oklahoma and Michigan, on the road, into OT in 2018 and 2019. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that they'd come in here next year and beat us.
So in other words Michigan and Oklahoma were not afraid to play a Army? Yet Tennessee is and fans are okay canceling a game against one of the service academies. I can see why Michigan and Oklahoma both have a better football program than Tennessee at this time.

Reactions: Rooster1
So in other words Michigan and Oklahoma were not afraid to play a Army? Yet Tennessee is and fans are okay canceling a game against one of the service academies. I can see why Michigan and Oklahoma both have a better football program than Tennessee at this time.
We are nowhere as good as Oklahoma or Michigan.

Reactions: Coach_Z
This is just dumb. Do you see them lining up to play ? Hell no. Playing Army, Navy or Air Force is not what builds a program. Having healthy guys on your front has a hand in it though. We are razor thin on the DL after this season. We will likely have a couple young guys in rotation and whatever we can pick up from the portal. Why do you jeopardize that if you don't have to ? It is kinda like playing russian roulette. It doesn't make sense

We are nowhere as good as Oklahoma or Michigan.
Yes I even said that. Still is no reason to cancel a game against Army. Even if we are a middle of the pack or at the bottom of the SEC we should still have a better team than Army. Plus we hired Heupel and he assembled a staff who should be more than capable of preparing for an opponent like that.

Reactions: PG1
This is just dumb. Do you see them lining up to play ? Hell no. Playing Army, Navy or Air Force is not what builds a program. Having healthy guys on your front has a hand in it though. We are razor thin on the DL after this season. We will likely have a couple young guys in rotation and whatever we can pick up from the portal. Why do you jeopardize that if you don't have to ? It is kinda like playing russian roulette. It doesn't make sense
Still can't believe you and other fans are okay canceling this game. We should be honored to play Army and have them come to our home field.

So in other words a game against Army does scare you? You keep making excuses for them canceling that game. So apparently playing them worries you.

You didn't see Peyton and company refusing to play Nebraska back in the day.

Reactions: PG1
Yes I even said that. Still is no reason to cancel a game against Army. Even if we are a middle of the pack or at the bottom of the SEC we should still have a better team than Army. Plus we hired Heupel and he assembled a staff who should be more than capable of preparing for an opponent like that.
What @BigALWiLson said.

We have a really thin roster and would get cut blocked to death right before going into a stretch of Florida/LSU/Alabama. It isn't worth it; the risk/reward is all out of whack for us.

Still can't believe you and other fans are okay canceling this game. We should be honored to play Army and have them come to our home field.

So in other words a game against Army does scare you? You keep making excuses for them canceling that game. So apparently playing them worries you.

Why don’t Saban, Smart and Mullen put them on the schedule? So by your logic since Bama, UF and UGA don’t schedule them they must be scared of them also right?

Lol, Army doesn't scare me but truthfully they would probably beat our ass in our current state of the program. With that said, playing Nebraska for a piece of a NC is a whole different animal. We didn't have a choice who we played. That was a bowl game. An important one. We also got our ass handed to us by them.

Reactions: Coach_Z
It wasn’t Hueple or White’s idea to chalice this game. As I stated prior Is that Dave Hart added them in 2016 and Fulmer started the process to replacing them with another team his last year as AD. So it’s s’more likely that Pruitt and Fulmer didn’t want that game. White and Hueple just followed through with the plans that was already set in motion prior to Whites arrival.

Why don’t Saban, Smart and Mullen put them on the schedule? So by your logic since Bama, UF and UGA don’t schedule them they must be scared of them also right?
I'm not talking about Georgia, Florida or Bama's schedule. I'm talking about Tennessee's schedule. Let's stick to the topic at hand.

By the way. Wisconsin and Wake Forest are both playing Army this year. Notre Dame plays Navy every single year. Even in their down years they played them. You don't see them trying to get rid of that game. Yet we can't even play Army one season. The real reason you and other fans don't want to play them is simply because you think it's not a guaranteed win. This is rather embarrassing.

It wasn’t Hueple or White’s idea to chalice this game. As I stated prior Is that Dave Hart added them in 2016 and Fulmer started the process to replacing them with another team his last year as AD. So it’s s’more likely that Pruitt and Fulmer didn’t want that game. White and Hueple just followed through with the plans that was already set in motion prior to Whites arrival.
It doesn't matter who scheduled it. We should honor the commitment to play a service academy. Plus, how often are these guys who are going to serve our country in the future going to have the opportunity to also play in Neyland Stadium. The administration just took the chance to play in one of the best stadiums in college football away from them. We should be ashamed.

Reactions: Volfan1000 and PG1
I'm not talking about Georgia, Florida or Bama's schedule. I'm talking about Tennessee's schedule. Let's stick to the topic at hand.

By the way. Wisconsin and Wake Forest are both playing Army this year. Notre Dame plays Navy every single year. Even in their down years they played them. You don't see them trying to get rid of that game. Yet we can't even play Army one season. The real reason you and other fans don't want to play them is simply because you think it's not a guaranteed win. This is rather embarrassing.
It’s not about the triple option and only 1 week to prepare it’s simply a team that could beat us so let’s get out of it. Just wait we may pay BYU $2 million to cancel in 2 years.

Nah if you go back and “Check My Stats/messages” you will see that I have already stated as a Marine I wished we played all the services academy’s every year and rotated them. I think we would beat them even in our worse years. But there is a reason why the schools including UT form the SEC don’t play them. There style of play is a nightmare for even teams like Bama. All those other schools you named don’t play in the SEC and Sheba to deal with Bama, UF, UGA and rest of the SEC every year. Notre Damn, Nebraska and Wisconsin would all finish in the bottom half of the SEC if they played the same schedule.

Reactions: Volatility

VN Store

Back