2021 NFL Offseason Thread

I don't understand why Dobbs doesn't go be backup in a system built for a starting QB more like him (New England, Dallas, etc.).

I don't understand why Dobbs doesn't go be backup in a system built for a starting QB more like him (New England, Dallas, etc.).

Why would anyone leave what is one of the most stable and best run franchises for the Jerry Jones' circus in Dallas for basically the same position?

Reactions: Vol423
Why would anyone leave what is one of the most stable and best run franchises for the Jerry Jones' circus in Dallas for basically the same position?

Because he's a bench player who hasn't been able to accomplish anything in their system. Maybe he's happy to just become a coach or managment someday and that's his plan, but if the plan is to be the best football player he can be, it doesn't seem like he's in the right place.

Because he's a bench player who hasn't been able to accomplish anything in their system. Maybe he's happy to just become a coach or managment someday and that's his plan, but if the plan is to be the best football player he can be, it doesn't seem like he's in the right place.
He was an unrestricted free agent yet he chose to resign with Pittsburgh. Seems like he feels that's his best (if not only) opportunity.

With the mess Watson is in - the Texans would be a good destination
You can't be serious! Have you looked at the Texan organization? It's a dumpster fire. Even with the mess Watson is in (and it's bad), he's still the most positive thing that organization has going for it.

You can't be serious! Have you looked at the Texan organization? It's a dumpster fire. Even with the mess Watson is in (and it's bad), he's still the most positive thing that organization has going for it.
If Dobbs is looking to actually play, he might get the chance there

If Dobbs is looking to actually play, he might get the chance there
Very true, and he'll look like crap since everyone that surrounds him is crap. Big Ben will almost certainly be gone after the 2021 season. It's very likely that the Steelers will draft another QB. However, Dobbs could potentially have a real shot at being the Steelers' starter until that new, young QB gets up to speed. In my opinion, that his best path forward.

Reactions: 508mikey
Very true, and he'll look like crap since everyone that surrounds him is crap. Big Ben will almost certainly be gone after the 2021 season. It's very likely that the Steelers will draft another QB. However, Dobbs could potentially have a real shot at being the Steelers' starter until that new, young QB gets up to speed. In my opinion, that his best path forward.

I think he has about as good of a shot as he always has, which is probably about 1%. He's going into his 5th year as a pro and he's barely seen any real action, and last year he was a healthy scratch almost the entire season as the 3rd string QB. They brought in Haskins and maybe it was just to kick the tires but he is younger and has actually been a starter. Rudolph is still there, beat him out as #2 twice and while he sucks he still was seen as a better option than Dobbs. And Dobbs signed a contract but he still has to make the final roster. He may end up on the practice squad.

The only way I see him ever starting is if the Steelers are historically bad and they put him in to suck for a top pick.

I think he's looking to make easy money with an organization that wants him

This. Nobody is beating down the door for Dobbs, and he can make great money as a backup for years, then leave to go do what he wants with a lot of money and his brain and body still in tact.

Reactions: SlipKidVol

He has had a pretty underrated career. He was probably the best "game manager" of his era and won 99 games with a 60% win percentage, and it's not like he was managing stacked teams every year. He had a winning record with all 3 teams. Hell, he went 11-5 in Washington. Injuries prevented him from having a great career (he only played 12 games 7x in 16 years).

Aslo, he probably has the most impressive comeback from an injury in terms of the likelihood of him playing any meaningful football after the fact. IDK how he did that, let alone go 5-1. Insane.

But always will be known as the 1st pick of the draft that gave us Aaron Rodgers.

But always will be known as the 1st pick of the draft that gave us Aaron Rodgers.

And that's why they should have traded back and taken the 2nd QB off the board.

That's part of his story but he's not Jamarcus Russell. He had a good career that stands on its own and his connection to Rodgers isn't even one of the top 5 things that comes to mind when I think about him.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I think of him as a first overall pick, but the fact that it was in the same draft as Rodgers doesn't immediately come to my mind. And I bet you wouldn't even think that of him in that was if he was taken 10th overall instead of 1st.

Here's a great football "what if"

What if Alex Smith isn't sitting there at Utah waiting for CUM to show up? Smith's junior year propelled both their careers. Meyer would have done well at Utah no matter what, but what if he goes 16-8 instead of 22-2 at Utah because his QB sucks? Does he stay at the U longer? Florida definitely doesn't offer him, so it changes that whole history.

If Meyer stays longer at Utah, does BYU hire Whittingham away? Does Utah ever become a serious program if that Sugar Bowl season doesn't happen? Do they get invited to the PAC 12 if that domino didn't fall?

Smith falls far without Meyer. Rodgers becomes the first pick. All that **** with Favre and Rodgers never happens.

And so on.

Last edited:
And that's why they should have traded back and taken the 2nd QB off the board.

That's part of his story but he's not Jamarcus Russell. He had a good career that stands on its own and his connection to Rodgers isn't even one of the top 5 things that comes to mind when I think about him.
They were always going to take Smith OR Rodgers. In retrospect they would’ve been stupid to not take Rodgers with the first. Not Russell but a very nice JOURNEYMAN career basically unremarkable otherwise. I can’t find anything that supersedes the Rodgers footnote. He recovered from a Theismann level injury and played a season. Heartwarming...Rodgers is hosting Jeopardy.

I think of him as a first overall pick, but the fact that it was in the same draft as Rodgers doesn't immediately come to my mind. And I bet you wouldn't even think that of him in that was if he was taken 10th overall instead of 1st.
Bet I would! 😎

VN Store

Back