2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

Cori Allen, 2023, Nashville, visited last weekend; as did Kaiya Wynn, 2021, also Nashville.

cori-allen

kaiya-wynn

Corey Allen (Father) of Cori, played at Tennessee, and some professional overseas! Cori has mentioned playing at Tennessee like her dad! But 2023 is a few years off .... she was receiving offers as an eighth grader with the first from (Insell) at Ole Miss. she will certainly be a good one a few more years!

Putbacks, I think my heart skipped a beat when I read Collier’s eval. “Skilled footwork.” “An array of moves, utilizing either hand.” “Defensive stopper.” “Off-the-charts potential.”

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:D

Reactions: Putbacks
Adding 2021s Isaline Alexander (CAN) and Caroline Ducharme to the list, they're visiting this weekend.

Alexander made the FIBA Americas U16 All Tournament Team, along with Verhulst.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Recruiting in Women’s Basketball is more important than a lot of other sports and it’s looking like Kellie has little to no recruiting prowess or strength. This is why Fulmer should have hired a known coach who 2020, 2021 and 22 recruits would get excited to play for. I’m sorry, but we are not going to have the players on this years team to excite any recruits. We are going to be the next La Tech if we aren’t careful. They were once the best team and Barmore retired and they have never been good again. I went to the Carson Newman game and we looked just as lost and pitiful as last year. We are recycling the old way of doing things when we hire players who played for Pat. While there are countless former players who have been successful assistants, there are little to none who have succeeded as a head coach. You know why? Pat didn’t really have an offensive system that was her identity. She had great players who she stayed on about defense and rebounding. In those days, there were a handful of great teams and that game plan worked. Nowadays, there are 20 to 25 great programs and there are actual offensive sets being ran. Our offense continues to look stale and boring. It’s the pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock almost runs out and then jack up a shot. Depending on players who are just athletic and have no shooting prowess is also a big problem. We have zero sharp shooters! Zero! We don’t have a true point guard! Which was another thing Pat had trouble finding. She would just recruit players and convert one, like Kara Lawson, into being her PG. Kara was great, but she is a rare player that could do that. Point guards are born and we need to learn that! Recruit a point guard and let them run your offense. It’s so frustrating being this bad in a sport that we should still be dominant in! We have the best facilities and fan base in women’s basketball, but we are still trying to recruit based on our former coach and our championships a decade or more ago. These players we are recruiting now have not seen us win a national championship and want to play for UCONN L, Baylor, Notre Dame....we have to have something to draw them towards KNOXVILLE. It’s not happening.

I really am sickened by the way that we just handed the keys to a Lamborghini over to a coach with no head coaching experience...Holly...and expected she would be able to succeed. There’s a reason no one ever came calling for 30+ years as an assistant. This thing will not run itself based on name recognition alone!!! Eventually, if we piddle along for long enough and continue to be marginal, there will be no more name recognition either. Ask Indiana men’s basketball fans about being a once great program who could never find direction after their legendary coach was no longer there. North Carolina went out and hired Roy Williams when Dean Smith retired...well, after they let his assistant coach for a couple years...but they got it! You have to be led by a coach that is great to stay as a great program! Errrrr.....so frustrating!!

Reactions: Darth_Vol
If we wanted Walz he would have been here in a second But, evidently, we have to appease all the old people who sit in TBA and don’t stand or cheer. I really didn’t want Walz, just to be honest...I think the best candidate would have been Walz, but I would like to see the Lady Vols continue to be coached by a woman. But. If Walz had got the job, I guarantee we would be getting a lot farther with the players we need to make this program relevant again. Kellie isn’t doing that.

Recruiting in Women’s Basketball is more important than a lot of other sports and it’s looking like Kellie has little to no recruiting prowess or strength. This is why Fulmer should have hired a known coach who 2020, 2021 and 22 recruits would get excited to play for. I’m sorry, but we are not going to have the players on this years team to excite any recruits. We are going to be the next La Tech if we aren’t careful. They were once the best team and Barmore retired and they have never been good again. I went to the Carson Newman game and we looked just as lost and pitiful as last year. We are recycling the old way of doing things when we hire players who played for Pat. While there are countless former players who have been successful assistants, there are little to none who have succeeded as a head coach. You know why? Pat didn’t really have an offensive system that was her identity. She had great players who she stayed on about defense and rebounding. In those days, there were a handful of great teams and that game plan worked. Nowadays, there are 20 to 25 great programs and there are actual offensive sets being ran. Our offense continues to look stale and boring. It’s the pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock almost runs out and then jack up a shot. Depending on players who are just athletic and have no shooting prowess is also a big problem. We have zero sharp shooters! Zero! We don’t have a true point guard! Which was another thing Pat had trouble finding. She would just recruit players and convert one, like Kara Lawson, into being her PG. Kara was great, but she is a rare player that could do that. Point guards are born and we need to learn that! Recruit a point guard and let them run your offense. It’s so frustrating being this bad in a sport that we should still be dominant in! We have the best facilities and fan base in women’s basketball, but we are still trying to recruit based on our former coach and our championships a decade or more ago. These players we are recruiting now have not seen us win a national championship and want to play for UCONN L, Baylor, Notre Dame....we have to have something to draw them towards KNOXVILLE. It’s not happening.

Boy, now I am really depressed. To be honest, you may be correct. Regardless, I think it is going to take longer than most expect to get back to consistent play and elite 8's.

If we wanted Walz he would have been here in a second But, evidently, we have to appease all the old people who sit in TBA and don’t stand or cheer. I really didn’t want Walz, just to be honest...I think the best candidate would have been Walz, but I would like to see the Lady Vols continue to be coached by a woman. But. If Walz had got the job, I guarantee we would be getting a lot farther with the players we need to make this program relevant again. Kellie isn’t doing that.

I agree with some parts of your multiple posts; and, specifically, that without the superstars - Candace, the Miques, etc - we probably have zero championships (but this would be true for every other program). Take Diana and Maya out of Storrs, and you take a few trophies off the Huskies’ shelf. Britney Griner in Waco; the phenomenal Cheryl Miller at USC, same thing; and on and on. Every offense looks better (and wins more) with just one superstar. It just works that way.
As an aside, however, it should be pointed out that Coach Summitt went All-In for Miss Delle-Donne. With her (I think) we win at least a couple more National Titles. And, you probably remember that she literally turned down Nancy Lieberman’s desire to transfer, and with her, probably (quite likely) yet more titles. But, I digress. The broader point being, added to The Great One’s success, as a Coach, and Recruiter, she often came up One Player Short of absolute, UNreachable wins and championships.
So, I’m not trying to argue with you, but rather, point out (primarily for the younger fans) that Pat Summitt knew what true-flow offenses were supposed to look like; in fact, some here might recall that she literally took her staff to watch the great Princeton(?) coach practice his team (or might have brought him to Knoxville).
We’re all in wait-and-see mode, and last week’s exhibition - and most specifically, the shooting percentages - was concerning for some. *But absolutely not for me. At least, not yet.
Coach Kellie has been on the job for what, seven months? We’ve seen nothing, really, of her offensive schemes. As it should be! I think, beginning tonight that things - Offensively and Defensively, and for better or worse - will start to come into clearer focus

Last edited:
We interrupt this regularly scheduled thread to bring you the following news bulletin:

1. Jeff Walz is still not coming to Tennessee and never intended.
2. Kellie Harper is our coach.

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.
No male coach will be considered at tenn until the old line supporters are gone.

Pat knew what a true flow offense looked like. Agreed! However, she didn’t have her own offensive system to pass down to her players. She studied many other offenses, such as Villanova’s motion offense. She also tried to run the triangle offense when Candace was there to maximize CP3’s opportunities. But, and that’s a big but, she didn’t have an identifiable offense that she ran, taught and knew like the back of her hand. So, I feel, that her former players just don’t have the advantage of having a particular way of running offense. We say we want to run, but we have some of the biggest non-mobile players. We look like a high school team in the half court. Seriously! It’s bad! They really needed to have hired someone outside of Pat’s tree and get some fresh ideas in there.

Pat knew what a true flow offense looked like. Agreed! However, she didn’t have her own offensive system to pass down to her players. She studied many other offenses, such as Villanova’s motion offense. She also tried to run the triangle offense when Candace was there to maximize CP3’s opportunities. But, and that’s a big but, she didn’t have an identifiable offense that she ran, taught and knew like the back of her hand. So, I feel, that her former players just don’t have the advantage of having a particular way of running offense. We say we want to run, but we have some of the biggest non-mobile players. We look like a high school team in the half court. Seriously! It’s bad! They really needed to have hired someone outside of Pat’s tree and get some fresh ideas in there.
Both Sullivan and Goldwire are outside of Pat’s tree.

Goldwire and Sullivan don’t decide what offense we run and if what they were doing in the acarson Newman game is any evidence, they don’t have any fresh ideas. Our offense looked just as terrible and easy to defend as it has been for awhile.

VN Store

Back