2021 Fall Practice #3

We were allowed about 6 ounces of water midway thru each two a day practice. Temperatures averaged 90 in August. At least in my junior year they moved the first practice to about 6 or 7am. Before that it was about 2-4pm for #1 and 6-8pm for #2.
Ours was 8am til 10am, then 1:00 to 4:00pm, I always napped after the 1st practice to prepare for the 3 hour practice

Ours was 8am til 10am, then 1:00 to 4:00pm, I always napped after the 1st practice to prepare for the 3 hour practice
We did the same. Our energy level was totally zapped and we slept or relaxed on wooden floors of the school hallways. I remember hearing for the first time Meatloaf’s “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” during one of those between practice periods. I also remember one of our players coming to the warmup period on the practice field before the second practice one day telling us news had just broke Elvis had died.

Didn't hear much about BM in 2019 till he started...in the spring Not a whole lot ..but then troted out with the 2s...again nothing much on fall...ill wait till CHype chooses the starter
Actually, we heard a lot about him which is a HUGE reason people have the opinions they have today. Of course it was all BS but people believed it. We heard “erratic”and “throws the ball to the defense” - Jeremy Pruitt. Kinda matches the opinions of those same people to this day but they refuse to see they’ve been brainwashed.

Every high school football player circa 1980’s (water breaks were earned and used as bribes) knows that a heat stroke in Summer makes the variety in September less traumatizing. 😏

There's nothing like doing up-downs in the dirt after the second practice of two-a-days and then wind sprints. Makes drinking out of a hose hooked up to a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it taste like the elixir of the gods.

Actually, we heard a lot about him which is a HUGE reason people have the opinions they have today. Of course it was all BS but people believed it. We heard “erratic”and “throws the ball to the defense” - Jeremy Pruitt. Kinda matches the opinions of those same people to this day but they refuse to see they’ve been brainwashed.
When he played last year he looked like a deer in the headlights, no calm

We had a 8 to 10 am ...then a 4 to 6 .. gave us salt pills and small cups water 2 times .. the thing I remember most is that cutoff T shirt we wore under shoulder pads .. and how it smelled after a couple days and how stiff it would be each morning when we got ready to get dressed for the am practice .. also the wet grass from the nights dew. Oh the good ole days..

It has always amazed me how few heat injuries were sustained during those days. No water, salt tablets, and Memphis heat and humidity. I wonder if the mule in us took over at some point, because once a mule gets tired they stop until they're ready to go again.

We were allowed about 6 ounces of water midway thru each two a day practice. Temperatures averaged 90 in August. At least in my junior year they moved the first practice to about 6 or 7am. Before that it was about 2-4pm for #1 and 6-8pm for #2.
I only played soccer, but we only had water at the end of practice. I have realized as an adult I seem to drink waaaaaaaaaay more water than I did as a kid.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
It has always amazed me how few heat injuries were sustained during those days. No water, salt tablets, and Memphis heat and humidity. I wonder if the mule in us took over at some point, because once a mule gets tired they stop until they're ready to go again.
You can't define Memphis heat!!! It's unimaginable!

We had a 8 to 10 am ...then a 4 to 6 .. gave us salt pills and small cups water 2 times .. the thing I remember most is that cutoff T shirt we wore under shoulder pads .. and how it smelled after a couple days and how stiff it would be each morning when we got ready to get dressed for the am practice .. also the wet grass from the nights dew. Oh the good ole days..

Those half shirts were soaked within 10 minutes. In between two a days we used to go lay on the band room floor and just soak up the coolness. And I remember that smell, the sweat soaked football pads and polyester jerseys and pants. And the foam in the helmet had a certain stink too.

Those half shirts were soaked within 10 minutes. In between two a days we used to go lay on the band room floor and just soak up the coolness. And I remember that smell, the sweat soaked football pads and polyester jerseys and pants. And the foam in the helmet had a certain stink too.

Ahhh yes! I remember those days well! Also, the chin strap pimples! You could always tell a football player in the hallways because there was an inordinate amount of pimples around the chin area LOL.

I remember one time our coach told us that if we had a good morning practice, our afternoon practice was going to be a very light, very easy walk through. Well the morning practice came and went and we all just assumed that it went well because the coach never indicated otherwise. So to "celebrate" a bunch of us drove down to a local burger joint for lunch and man, we gorged ourselves on cheeseburgers, fries, cokes, milkshakes, etc thinking we were going to have an easy afternoon. Well instead our coach ran the ever living hell out of us in that 2nd practice! It was gassers, suicides, monkey rolls, bear crawls, you name it! It was PURE conditioning that second practice! We had guys puking all over field LOL!

Last edited:
We had a coach that was a 2 time AA at Lenoir Rhyne College, a sadistic nut who had us line up and go past the manager who would put ice in your helmet . This was late 70’s, e’rbody had long hair or an Afro .....ate and drank some foreign objects. Damn they was good .

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
When he played last year he looked like a deer in the headlights, no calm
Last year he appeared very sparingly. So you must be talking about the Arkansas game due to the fact that he only appeared for a couple of plays vs Alabama, Vanderbilt otherwise. He was 1/1 passing vs Alabama and converted a third and 13 with his legs. He only played one play vs Vanderbilt which was a 20+ yard run. So what you and many others are not taking into consideration concerning that ONE game vs Arkansas is he came in the middle of the third after the game plan to not pass had already been revealed. By the time he got in there, he was facing a constant 0 blitz. Furthermore, he wasn’t prepared through the week to play in that game and he’d just lost his grandfather AND his family dog both with 48 hours of game time. Don’t you feel it’s a bit of an overreaction to judge a kid on one game given the circumstances?

There's nothing like doing up-downs in the dirt after the second practice of two-a-days and then wind sprints. Makes drinking out of a hose hooked up to a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it taste like the elixir of the gods.
PTSD triggered.

Smelled like ass all around that water pipe too from all the mud.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer

VN Store

Back