2021 Consensus Rankings (Top 75)

It’s pretty insulting to the players she had at Missouri State that beat DePaul and Iowa State.

Those players were and are talented even if not highly ranked. It’s not like it was a Hoosiers situation.

With many of the same players, they were even better last season, going 26-4 before the season abruptly ended.

At the risk of being asked to leave for truth telling, even if not popular opinion, Coach Harper had 5 years at Western Carolina, 4 years at NC State and 5 years at Missouri State before that Cinderella run to the Sweet Sixteen.

I really hope she can be successful at Tennessee with higher ranked players. I’m a big fan of hers.

I would give Coach K what I would give any coach taking on a new collegiate program at UT ...
Four years...With visible growth in each of the 3 proceeding years.

The first year is a given,,,New coach coaching another coach's chosen players

Year two, Not seeing the obvious flaws that should be fixed and growth, establishing her brand, player development

Year three visible and definite growth in all facets, org, recruiting, player development, national recognition of growth, etc

Year four, for this university Final Four should be reached

No, saying that players are more "highly-ranked" and "highly-touted" is not insulting to players. It's simply a fact that can easily be verified objectively.

The constant knock against Kellie's recruiting is that she hasn"t been able to land the top-ranked recruits. Unless you think that all players are equal or that the ranking services (and professional leagues) have it all wrong, then the reality is that some athletes are ether more naturally gifted or have developed more advanced skills than other athletes. Saying that players are not as highly-ranked (or ranked at all) does not imply that they're not good players. In fact, it's a tribute to their character that they did achieve so well...as well as being a tribute to the coaching staffs.

That's why I repeatedly used the term "ranked" or "skilled" rather than "better" players. I doubt that the MoSt players would argue that their individual skills are equal to or better than the top players recruited by Top Ten team or who makeTeam USA or who are first-round draft picks. The fact is that they utilized their talents to succeed as a team. And that requires good coaching.

As to how long it should take to develop a Tennessee team into an Elite Eight or Final Four team with our current and 2021 players, I'd guess 2-3 years, especially with the virus interruptions.

I would give Coach K what I would give any coach taking on a new collegiate program at UT ...
Four years...With visible growth in each of the 3 proceeding years.

The first year is a given,,,New coach coaching another coach's chosen players

Year two, Not seeing the obvious flaws that should be fixed and growth, establishing her brand, player development

Year three visible and definite growth in all facets, org, recruiting, player development, national recognition of growth, etc

Year four, for this university Final Four should be reached

Patient growth expectations until year four. It ain’t that easy to get to the final four.

Depending on how well they execute, they could be a regional power this year. Their first seven players will be pretty dang good.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
No, saying that players are more "highly-ranked" and "highly-touted" is not insulting to players. It's simply a fact that can easily be verified objectively.

The constant knock against Kellie's recruiting is that she hasn"t been able to land the top-ranked recruits. Unless you think that all players are equal or that the ranking services (and professional leagues) have it all wrong, then the reality is that some athletes are ether more naturally gifted or have developed more advanced skills than other athletes. Saying that players are not as highly-ranked (or ranked at all) does not imply that they're not good players. In fact, it's a tribute to their character that they did achieve so well...as well as being a tribute to the coaching staffs.

That's why I repeatedly used the term "ranked" or "skilled" rather than "better" players. I doubt that the MoSt players would argue that their individual skills are equal to or better than the top players recruited by Top Ten team or who makeTeam USA or who are first-round draft picks. The fact is that they utilized their talents to succeed as a team. And that requires good coaching.

As to how long it should take to develop a Tennessee team into an Elite Eight or Final Four team with our current and 2021 players, I'd guess 2-3 years, especially with the virus interruptions.

You can't really assess Coach K's recruiting until after this year....Only now can the potential recruits actually see how the girls SHE recruited this year,,,HER recruits, not someone else's, but hers,,,fare. . . If I were a top five recruit who followed UT coaching for the last few years, I too would be trepidicious.

CHW did not "better" her players, if anything she unbettered them. Only after they left the program did they get better. Mercedes and Diamond are shining examples, as is Cooper,,,they are studs now, like they were supposed to be all along.

The first true grading of Kellie will be the advancement of team chemistry, offensive flow, in game coaching, winning games they aren't supposed to, and, the advancement of the 1st and 2nd year players...I don't judge Kellie by this year's Sr's or Jr's, they were chosen by and for the most part coached by CHW. (although I do expect them to shine) Kellie can put her "personal stamp" on the Freshmen and Sophomores of the upcoming season and the recruits coming in. Next year is when I expect a top five recruit, this year it would only be because it is Tennessee!

If we any get commits from any 3 of : Brooklynn, Morasha, Teonni, Bree, Jillian or Sarah
Along with what we've already got, I consider this a great first year for Coach K

I love getting conversation going.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I hope she can make those timeframes.

Reactions: creekdipper
Recruiting stars is not the only aspect of building a winning team. Look at what Barnes did with a bunch of players who were not highly ranked out of high school. Player development is a large part of the equation also, but that takes some time. Kellie's MoSt last team would indicate that she can also develop players, again, given time. I have high hopes that she can get there in time. GBO.

Not sure how this is going to look from a formatting perspective, but here it is. These are consensus rankings from ESPN, Prospects Nation, Blue Star Basketball, and ASGR as of 5/21/20.

*Note-I wanted to emphasize the idea of a consensus rankings, so if a player was only ranked by one site I removed them from the list. More data will be available as the ranking services update/expand their rankings and as more players commit. I'll update as that data becomes available.

Enjoy! Let me know if I missed any commitments. Also, I'm trying to note the finalists in my personal spreadsheet. If someone released a top schools list or their finalists are known even though they already committed, please feel free to let me know.

This is great stuff. You are an asset to the volnation community. Thank you.

I think we can all agree that the 2022 class has to have more than 1 player ranked above 40 to show the improvement in recruiting necessary. Power 5 coaches recruit top flight players 4 years or more before they commit. KJH has been recruiting top level power 5 type players for about 18 months. I know this is Tennessee, but today's high school sophomore doesn't really understand the legacy. Their attention has been captured by SC, and Baylor, and Oregon, and ND, and ... It will be Kellie and the coaches personality and approach that will get the top players on campus where they can see the legacy for themselves. To me Lady Vol recruiting is right on schedule by getting top 40ish players now and I expect better players to come. Also this year, I'm not going to be concerned about the record. I expect more aggressive defense and a cohesive offensive approach. Also I want to see a strong family of Lady Vol coaches, players, and fans. Let the whiners whine, but let the fans come out in force. JMO

I think we can all agree that the 2022 class has to have more than 1 player ranked above 40 to show the improvement in recruiting necessary. Power 5 coaches recruit top flight players 4 years or more before they commit. KJH has been recruiting top level power 5 type players for about 18 months. I know this is Tennessee, but today's high school sophomore doesn't really understand the legacy. Their attention has been captured by SC, and Baylor, and Oregon, and ND, and ... It will be Kellie and the coaches personality and approach that will get the top players on campus where they can see the legacy for themselves. To me Lady Vol recruiting is right on schedule by getting top 40ish players now and I expect better players to come. Also this year, I'm not going to be concerned about the record. I expect more aggressive defense and a cohesive offensive approach. Also I want to see a strong family of Lady Vol coaches, players, and fans. Let the whiners whine, but let the fans come out in force. JMO

Not sure I followed all that. But I’d agree we need a top player or two. I’d bet that unless we land a top ten player (tempted to say top 5 which is what is needed) in 2022, we won’t make a final four 2021-2024. Not getting a couple elite kids by 2022 would be a huge red flag. But, that doesn’t mean a coaching change is in store because I’m not convinced getting back to the elite of WCBB is a priority. Being respectable may be good enough.

Being respectable may be good enough.

I think this is a very bitter bit of truth to swallow. Summitt's career forged Tennessee's reputation in women's basketball, and her name and brand was a useful marketing, PR, and media chip for the UTAD. And, she was uniquely dominant and put Tennessee on TVs, and had a sterling image. She was an icon, a Tennessee native, and the program benefited from that. Basically, it was a great relationship while it lasted. That legacy has left UT valuing its women's program more than most departments -- as evidenced by their firing of a coach with a 72% win percentage and 7 straight NCAA tournament appearances -- but one would have to think their appetite to make changes or over-invest in course corrections will decline the further Tennessee gets from the Summitt era.

But, that doesn’t mean a coaching change is in store because I’m not convinced getting back to the elite of WCBB is a priority. Being respectable may be good enough.

That appears obvious. Lady Vols basketball could have been like Alabama football or Kentucky basketball, programs that remain elite over time even with coaching changes. Sadly, what Pat had built is eroding away to where now just being ok is good enough and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future...

Reactions: Voluble2
That appears obvious. Lady Vols basketball could have been like Alabama football or Kentucky basketball, programs that remain elite over time even with coaching changes. Sadly, what Pat had built is eroding away to where now just being ok is good enough and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future...

Some of the institutional keys in recruiting are game attendance, TV exposure, practice and game facilities. You have those 3 issues covered. The on court keys are championships and/or deep tournament runs. These seem at least 1-2 years away. The last keys relate to coaches and teammates. Do the coaches prove to coach players up and do they demonstrate personal interaction with the off court development of players. And are the players a family with concern for one another. KJH has demonstrated the ability to coach players up with her deep runs into the tournament with lesser known HS players. Kelly is also recruiting players of character that will build the family. So all in all you are in a great place and the future is bright.

Darth, the eroding has stopped......For some unknown reason, you only see negativity connected to the LV program....

We are in agreement, Holly was one hell of a big mistake as a head coach...I never saw a coach that knew less about offensive basketball, and her disdain for disciplined offense was at the core of said erosion....There is a hell of a lot more in modern day basketball than just throw the ball to the big girl....

I'll watch the girls this season and hope we are worthy of being on the court with some of the current national champion favorites...

In any event.......

Im-all-in-1170x658.jpg

Last edited:
KJH has demonstrated the ability to coach players up with her deep runs into the tournament with lesser known HS players.

I see this kind of post on this board all the time. Let me first say that I really like Coach Harper and hope she does a great job at Tennessee. So far so good. A good class in 2020 and a better one in 2021.

What you stated is just not true. She had one “deep run“ into the tournament. That’s it. Her last year at Missouri State. That team of lesser known HS players got to the Sweet 16.

Other than that, she never got past the first round of her four other NCAA tournament appearances or past the second round of the seven WNIT tournament appeaprances.

No need to embellish her record. It’s the future we should care about.

I see this kind of post on this board all the time. Let me first say that I really like Coach Harper and hope she does a great job at Tennessee. So far so good. A good class in 2020 and a better one in 2021.

What you stated is just not true. She had one “deep run“ into the tournament. That’s it. Her last year at Missouri State. That team of lesser known HS players got to the Sweet 16.

Other than that, she never got past the first round of her four other NCAA tournament appearances or past the second round of the seven WNIT tournament appeaprances.

No need to embellish her record. It’s the future we should care about.

NeedOrange said:
KJH has demonstrated the ability to coach players up with her deep RUN into the tournament with lesser known HS players.

There I fixed it. I took off the S on run to fit your requirements and make his statement true. All is right with the world. is new jersey still a hot spot for the virus and are yalls players even getting a chance to practice? this is NOT a dig but am curious. Praying for a season and a return to normalcy soon!

NeedOrange said:
KJH has demonstrated the ability to coach players up with her deep RUN into the tournament with lesser known HS players.

There I fixed it. I took off the S on run to fit your requirements and make his statement true. All is right with the world. is new jersey still a hot spot for the virus and are yalls players even getting a chance to practice? this is NOT a dig but am curious. Praying for a season and a return to normalcy soon!
l see the truth about that one Sweet 16 run struck a nerve. I was going to take a couple of digs but I won't do that. Yes, they are practicing in NJ among other things.

VN Store

Back