2020 qb comparison/talk/debate (merged)

How could any OC trust JG to throw the ball into the endzone…….he does not make good decisions he panics, he forced throw to DWA and if he had thrown to
Gray on dumpoff pass he would have walked in Vol fans have saw this 3 yrs it does not change ……..GO VOLS

Guarantano has a strong arm and that’s about it. Struggles with touch on short swing passes, is wildly inaccurate on intermediate passes and throws a very poor deep ball.

And clearly, since Guarantano is one of the poorest running/scrambling quarterbacks we’ve ever had, that evaluation of him as a top-rated “dual threat” QB was completely wrong and invalid. And obviously, he’s not played anywhere near a 4 star QB since being at Tennessee. Last year he did some good things and was a bright spot in some of the games, particularly vs Auburn and Kentucky. This year, he completely regressed to the mess we saw he was last night.
But wait, the rating services can't be wrong?! They never over rate or under rate a player. The ratings and rankings they provide are infallible!

In case you can't tell, this is why I laugh hysterically at the star children on this board.

Reactions: rikberry31
Well off season officially starts today to lets get started with a topic we will probably see 100 more threads on: Is JG the starting QB for 2020 ?

Why 'YES' : He is senior. He is experienced and seems like getting on same page with Chaney. JG has shown some nice deep ball skills and knows the playbooks, adjustments, checks better than others on the roster. We will be facing OU on the road early in the season and good to have an experienced QB.

Why 'NO' : He is inconsistent, almost bi-polar as QB. Still seems to miss wide open receivers on reads (saw miss two receivers that could have given us 1st down on third trip to red zone yesterday). We know his ceiling and its not very high.

I like the kid. Tough and gritty but I doubt he will take us past 8 wins.

Your thoughts ??
I'd like to see him back,..for all the reasons cited above. Understanding Chaney and Pruitt, and them understanding him. He knows the system and can really really help mentor Bailey and they other young quarterbacks. He could really be a good leader for next year. He could be a coach for a young receiver corp coming up during the so-called "off season." I will digress for a second to say,..Mauer almost got us beat. Pruitt mentioned that "he threw three balls that should have been picked off." Now...having said that..Jarrett threw mostly where he SHOULD have, relative to where he should have gone with the ball,..he just wasn't stepping into the throws, consequently the ball was consistently sailing high. Just as another aside...I thought Riley Locklear did a pretty good job in pass pro in the second half. Protection was better. When Yew Eye had to double Juan Jennings...that middle was wide open for Grey, and Coach Chaney and J.G. saw it right off and just dumped it off. Coaching+ Execution= Biiig Grin for All Orange. UmmHmmm, Yes it is so.

Here is a screenshot from sec stats...proof that thier accuracy ratings completly come from completions not accuracy...so all those tweets and quotes are shot to hell

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200103-173955_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200103-173955_Chrome.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 5
Here is a screenshot from sec stats...proof that thier accuracy ratings completly come from completions not accuracy...so all those tweets and quotes are shot to hell
Haha. Funny my guy. Why is Maurer two points lower in accuracy than completion percentage? It's because he was inaccurate more than he completed passes. He was bailed out on a few passes.

Two different stats. Try again buddy

Haha. Funny my guy. Why is Maurer two points lower in accuracy than completion percentage? It's because he was inaccurate more than he completed passes. He was bailed out on a few passes.

Two different stats. Try again buddy

This the LSU-Oklahoma game. Posted recently wanna bet when the TN game is up those number match as well..??

JG will start until HB is ready, probably mid-season. JG hit his ceiling in the UK and MO games, and showed his floor is pretty low in the GaSt and Candy games. His weakness is mentally he can't process in real time what he sees on the field. After four years, it's not going to get any better.

Lol, so now BMs development or lack thereof by this staff is the main factor for the Vols having a successful '20 season. What a crock of stinky crap. Hey Vol fans, let's all listen to this yahoo because he says Pruitt has destined us for mediocrity because he's refused to keep Maurer in ballgames.
The whole narrative is goofy. We all can see that JG has issues. It’s amazing though that people can’t accept that flawed JG is still the best option... for now at least. People want to believe that guys with literally millions on the line are holding back untapped talent.

The whole narrative is goofy. We all can see that JG has issues. It’s amazing though that people can’t accept that flawed JG is still the best option... for now at least. People want to believe that guys with literally millions on the line are holding back untapped talent.
If talent isn’t given a chance isn’t that the very definition of “untapped”?

Lol, so now BMs development or lack thereof by this staff is the main factor for the Vols having a successful '20 season. What a crock of stinky crap. Hey Vol fans, let's all listen to this yahoo because he says Pruitt has destined us for mediocrity because he's refused to keep Maurer in ballgames.

I agree with vols8

Maurer didn't look the same after he came back from that last injury. Not sure what it is or what happened. But the swag he had didn't seem to be there.

I think the coaching staff has maurer so afraid of throwing an int, that he doesn't play with the same intensity as he did earlier. i want to see the maurer who started against ga back. No coach wants to, but I remember what okl said about Hurts. He said he came there not trying on some throw he wanted him to throw because he was afraid of making mistakes. I am afraid that is what has happened to maurer, and jg as well. At some point you have to play with intensity and make plays, just my opinion

Reactions: lexkyvol
Let's pray next year Bailey is like Trevor Lawrence or JG has a Sr year breakout season.

What u see with jg is what we have seen for over 3 years, same old jg, overthrow, underthrows, late throws, hardly ever hits receiver in stride. Time to move on to someone else

Reactions: jacvols
For that matter wasn’t it Butch that had millions on the line while keeping Dobbs on the sidelines thinking his best option was already out there? Point is they are PAID to make the right decisions. However that doesn’t mean they always do. Which is why we see coaches being fired every single year.

Reactions: Doberman
For that matter wasn’t it Butch that had millions on the line while keeping Dobbs on the sidelines thinking his best option was already out there? Point is they are PAID to make the right decisions. However that doesn’t mean they always do. Which is why we see coaches being fired every single year.
And when you coach not to lose. You make even more poor choices.. hopefully he will learn tho

And when you coach not to lose. You make even more poor choices.. hopefully he will learn tho
Which is exactly what we are doing by not attacking downfield. Get the defense going and cut the offense loose. Turnovers will happen but opposing teams will have to go through our defense to make them count. Otherwise it’s goodnight Irene to the tune of 20+ point loss week in and week out. How would we feel every week blowing the opponent out by 20+? Pruitt: 🤔. Sounds good...... hey Chaney. Start JG.

Which is exactly what we are doing by not attacking downfield. Get the defense going and cut the offense loose. Turnovers will happen but opposing teams will have to go through our defense to make them count. Otherwise it’s goodnight Irene to the tune of 20+ point loss week in and week out. How would we feel every week blowing the opponent out by 20+? Pruitt: 🤔. Sounds good...... hey Chaney. Start JG.
The quickest way to lose by 20 is throwing ints like BM.

Reactions: lexkyvol
There are many questions, and not many answers with our stable of QBs, and the incoming HB.

One definite with the QB situation is—— time to find someone other than JG.

Start figuring it out today, Coach.

I cant help but think what might of been vs Bama when I see Crouch score over and over on that same play. Glad to see Tano didn't call his own number again

VN Store

Back