2020 NBA Season Thread (brought to you by Jerry’s need for attention)

Longevity isn’t a difference maker for me in saying one is clearly better than the other. Especially in football where it’s a crap shoot. Agree to disagree on that.

I don’t understand your point about 2007. It feels like you are saying what I said.

Recognize I am being nuanced in him being clearly better. Short of rings, which involves other variables, and INTs, they are pretty similar statistically (career averages). It’s not necessarily clear looking at the numbers. But I recognize this is the bazillionth time for this debate on VN.
If you’re going to say “short of rings, which involves other variables” (I’m assuming you mean Brady’s defense) then you should also qualify all of Peyton’s stats with other variables ala supporting cast.

The one year Brady had Moss was essentially the best the position has ever been played. It’s funny that people try to discredit Brady for his cushy setup in NE when he was making chicken salad out of chicken (not salad) for decades.

I didn’t say Brady wasn’t great nor discredit him. I think Peyton would have been equally great in NE. It’s funny how people like to ignore that Brady had the best NFL coach in history.

When both Bonds and Brady are clearly better than both guys mentioned

Brady is not clearly better than Manning. He clearly had a better career. It's not the same thing. I sincerely believe we do not know who the best QB is. I can't say it wasn't Elway. The situations are so different for all of these top guys.

There is no set GOAT criteria. If you're saying it's best resume then it is Brady, but then it also might be Lebron. Lebron's resume is probably going to better than MJ's (if they close this series out and he continues to age like he is).

Last edited:
Also, i never thought of the GOAT convo being between Aaron and Bonds, although he's my favorite player ever. It's Ruth and Bonds and IDK for sure who was better.

I didn’t say Brady wasn’t great nor discredit him. I think Peyton would have been equally great in NE. It’s funny how people like to ignore that Brady had the best NFL coach in history.
That coach has nothing to do with offense

Significantly disagree on Peyton in NE. His outdoor and cold weather numbers speak for themselves. Zero chance he matches Brady’s success in NE.

That coach has nothing to do with offense

Significantly disagree on Peyton in NE. His outdoor and cold weather numbers speak for themselves. Zero chance he matches Brady’s success in NE.

The mere argument makes my original point. Huff maybe said it better.

Also, i never thought of the GOAT convo being between Aaron and Bonds, although he's my favorite player ever. It's Ruth and Bonds and IDK for sure who was better.

Ruth played before integration and played in a super short stadium specifically built for him compared to other places around the league at the time and when nobody threw 90 MPH. It’s like saying George Mikan is the greatest player ever. The advantages he had is too great to ignore. Ruth’s historical dominance should be noted and he basically is The Godfather of the celebrity athlete, but there’s no way he’s the greatest player ever.

Bonds was one the top 10 players ever before 2001, then went on the greatest hitting display ever. Bonds was so dominant that Albert Pujols, who was the second best hitter in baseball from 2001-2004 was just as close to a league average hitter as he was to Barry Bonds in OPS+. That’s how insanely incredible Barry Bonds was. AND he played in one of the best pitcher parks in baseball.

Ruth played before integration and played in a super short stadium specifically built for him compared to other places around the league at the time and when nobody threw 90 MPH. It’s like saying George Mikan is the greatest player ever. The advantages he had is too great to ignore. Ruth’s historical dominance should be noted and he basically is The Godfather of the celebrity athlete, but there’s no way he’s the greatest player ever.

Bonds was one the top 10 players ever before 2001, then went on the greatest hitting display ever. Bonds was so dominant that Albert Pujols, who was the second best hitter in baseball from 2001-2004 was just as close to a league average hitter as he was to Barry Bonds in OPS+. That’s how insanely incredible Barry Bonds was. AND he played in one of the best pitcher parks in baseball.

Ruth was swinging a 2" x 4" and he was also a good pitcher. The difference between him and everybody else was immense. I don't care about this discussion either way, tbh.

If culture was a significant problem, why hire the top assistant?

Lue inexplicably denied the Lakers because 3/$20m wasn't good enough. What the hell did the Clippers give him?

Swapping out some players is the easiest way to change culture. I'd trade Lou, PG, and try to S&T Harrell.

Clippers had so many problems, but some of them are easy to solve, some of them are just going to go away, and they're stuck with some of them:

the ball doesn't move well because of personnel
Kawhi isn't a vocal leader and nobody else is a leader at all
Lou and Harrell were terrible in the bubble
Rivers wouldn't play Zubac on Jokic (and they have no answer for AD)
Kawhi stopped playing great D (age? injury? lack of interest?)
Paul George needs to be a 3rd banana
Nobody on the team likes PG
the bubble cracked them
Beverley is always hurt

L.A. Lakers Hold Victory Parade In Beijing

BEIJINGAfter seizing their 17th NBA title over the weekend, the Lakers are planning a victory parade for their loyal fans. Since there are still safety concerns in Los Angeles, the team has announced they will hold their celebration in their newly adopted hometown of Beijing, China.

"We cannot wait to celebrate our NBA title with our fans," said officials on the Lakers' Twitter feed. "After consulting with the People's Glorious Republic of China and the benevolent President Xi, we all agree that a joyful and inclusive public celebration will take place in Beijing. In the meantime, thank you again, Lakers Nation, for your support!"
The parade will feature a full military display of marching soldiers, tanks, and ballistic missiles with the phrase #BlackLivesMatter painted on the side. The main attraction will be a beautiful purple and gold L.A. Lakers parade float pulled by smiling Uyghur prisoners.
"Yeah, incredibly thankful to President Xi for hosting our parade," said LeBron James. "He's cool, man. Committed to social justice and all that. We in America have so much we can learn from him."
After the parade, the Lakers will be treated to a complimentary tour of the Wuhan virus lab.

BEIJINGAfter seizing their 17th NBA title over the weekend, the Lakers are planning a victory parade for their loyal fans. Since there are still safety concerns in Los Angeles, the team has announced they will hold their celebration in their newly adopted hometown of Beijing, China.

"We cannot wait to celebrate our NBA title with our fans," said officials on the Lakers' Twitter feed. "After consulting with the People's Glorious Republic of China and the benevolent President Xi, we all agree that a joyful and inclusive public celebration will take place in Beijing. In the meantime, thank you again, Lakers Nation, for your support!"
The parade will feature a full military display of marching soldiers, tanks, and ballistic missiles with the phrase #BlackLivesMatter painted on the side. The main attraction will be a beautiful purple and gold L.A. Lakers parade float pulled by smiling Uyghur prisoners.
"Yeah, incredibly thankful to President Xi for hosting our parade," said LeBron James. "He's cool, man. Committed to social justice and all that. We in America have so much we can learn from him."
After the parade, the Lakers will be treated to a complimentary tour of the Wuhan virus lab.

You really bolded excerpts from a fake news article.

VN Store

Back