2019 Target List

Please don’t do this again

You don't know how far a kid could develop with two more years of working with Barnes. Some recruits peak while in high school. Some kids keep maturing well into their 20s. Right now, Fleschman and JJJ are the only guards that will be here in 2020-21. No reason at all that JJJ (assuming he stays for 2 years) couldn't go 35 mpg and JF could go 5 mpg at the PG in 3 years.

I thought that O'Neill had Isiah Victor on the roster. Dickey wouldn't green light him to play because of possible irregularities which lead directly to KO running off to Northwestern in a huff.
O'Neill was messing with a secretary. His wife left back for Chicago and O'Neill quit and chased her down

O'Neill was messing with a secretary. His wife left back for Chicago and O'Neill quit and chased her down

Intristin'

I wonder if he's still with the crazy blonde that he was married to while at USCw. She got bat **** crazy mixing it up with with the UT fans sitting behind the visitor's bench when he came back to Knoxville and beat Bruce.

Intristin'

I wonder if he's still with the crazy blonde that he was married to while at USCw. She got bat **** crazy mixing it up with with the UT fans sitting behind the visitor's bench when he came back to Knoxville and beat Bruce.
O'Neal has so much in common with Lane kiffin I think it's crazy. O'Neal has gone through his whole life shooting himself in the foot and I'm pretty sure Lane kiffin will also

You don't know how far a kid could develop with two more years of working with Barnes. Some recruits peak while in high school. Some kids keep maturing well into their 20s. Right now, Fleschman and JJJ are the only guards that will be here in 2020-21. No reason at all that JJJ (assuming he stays for 2 years) couldn't go 35 mpg and JF could go 5 mpg at the PG in 3 years.

I would say it’s much more likely that they recruit another player capable of playing guard in the next 2 years than it is you seeing JF get meaningful minutes. Their top targets for 2020 are guards, no surprise.

Wait, is there really not room for a fourth person in this recruiting class? I genuinely thought there was.
Technically, no. Only 3 spots. We have an extra scholarship left over from the 18 class, plus Admiral and Alexander graduate. However, Pember has stated he is open to the idea of delaying his enrollment until 2020, so we may be able to take another in the 2019 class without losing anyone, but se cannot currently take 4 for 2019. Only 3 spots. That could change if someone currently on the roster decides to transfer or is dismissed for any reason.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Technically, no. Only 3 spots. We have an extra scholarship left over from the 18 class, plus Admiral and Alexander graduate. However, Pember has stated he is open to the idea of delaying his enrollment until 2020, so we may be able to take another in the 2019 class without losing anyone, but se cannot currently take 4 for 2019. Only 3 spots. That could change if someone currently on the roster decides to transfer or is dismissed for any reason.

VQ said multiple times yesterday, very confidently, that we are done for the fall...so sounds like they’ve decided to bring Pember in and redshirt him on campus most likely rather than a prep year. I’m guessing they will continue to track guys into the spring, maybe someone on their current list holds off until spring, and if there is attrition then they’ll have someone in mind.

I would look for the focus this fall to shift to 2020, with the new OV Duke for juniors you can get an early jump on guys. I know Keon Johnson is scheduled to be here, will be interesting to see who else they are able to get in here on an OV.

VQ said multiple times yesterday, very confidently, that we are done for the fall...so sounds like they’ve decided to bring Pember in and redshirt him on campus most likely rather than a prep year. I’m guessing they will continue to track guys into the spring, maybe someone on their current list holds off until spring, and if there is attrition then they’ll have someone in mind.

I would look for the focus this fall to shift to 2020, with the new OV Duke for juniors you can get an early jump on guys. I know Keon Johnson is scheduled to be here, will be interesting to see who else they are able to get in here on an OV.
I wouldn’t take the idea that we are done for the Fall to mean Pember is going to automatically be a member of the 19 class. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. We still have numerous possibilities in the spring that could determine his ultimate fate.

If we find ourselves in a position to land a lights out SG in the Spring, or a transfer becomes available that we feel like we cannot live without, and Pember still shows signs that he needs additional physical development, then I can definitely see us asking him to delay. That is not to say I expect any of that to happen, but I just believe a lot can happen in th next 8 months that will determine a lot of the program’s future, and thus Pember’s future.

Any idea how much if any regular season time Pember will miss with his broken foot? They play in my back yard in Dec and was hoping to watch, if he's playing.

I wouldn’t take the idea that we are done for the Fall to mean Pember is going to automatically be a member of the 19 class. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. We still have numerous possibilities in the spring that could determine his ultimate fate.

If we find ourselves in a position to land a lights out SG in the Spring, or a transfer becomes available that we feel like we cannot live without, and Pember still shows signs that he needs additional physical development, then I can definitely see us asking him to delay. That is not to say I expect any of that to happen, but I just believe a lot can happen in th next 8 months that will determine a lot of the program’s future, and thus Pember’s future.

Well they’ve also stated he’s going to sign, of course I suppose he could sign and still go to prep school for a year.

I would also think knowing how this staff operates they ideally would like to add someone they know very well and know fits in. Deciding to pursue a James Akinjo at the last minute may not be optimal, so I would think they would prefer pushing now for a guy like McBride or Tandy possibly.

Updated with James commitment and Robbie Beran releasing a Top 4...

#14 Josiah James-UT COMMIT
#28 Jalen Lecque
#106 Tyrell Jones
#110 Issac McBride
#118 Dekeyvan Tandy
#152* Drew Pember-UT COMMIT
#216* Jason Jitoboh
#284* Davonte Gaines-UT COMMIT

Plus isn’t there a decent chance Grant explores NBA options next year. He may stay to be a senior and graduate. But it’s at least a possibility

Plus isn’t there a decent chance Grant explores NBA options next year. He may stay to be a senior and graduate. But it’s at least a possibility
Yes, it is a possibility. But, imo, if he ever makes it in the NBA, he needs as much time in college as possible to work on his game. Honestly, unless he grows about 3 inches, he will never make it in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I am. Great college player, just a tweener in todays NBA. I can see Williams making mad money overseas playing pro, tho

Reactions: SweetDaddy

I’ve heard it mentioned but one of the biggest selling points in James coming here was Williams, so my guess is they play together for a season.

Yes, it is a possibility. But, imo, if he ever makes it in the NBA, he needs as much time in college as possible to work on his game. Honestly, unless he grows about 3 inches, he will never make it in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I am. Great college player, just a tweener in todays NBA. I can see Williams making mad money overseas playing pro, tho
If Grant could follow Admirals path. Trim down and work on outside shot and ball handling. Who knows. We need him in the post, but I wonder how much his quickness would improve if he cut about 25 pounds.

Does anyone know if TN will consider dropping Gaines if Lecque, McBride, or Tandy wants in?

If Grant could follow Admirals path. Trim down and work on outside shot and ball handling. Who knows. We need him in the post, but I wonder how much his quickness would improve if he cut about 25 pounds.

Supposedly that’s what he has done, not 25lbs but he is reportedly cut down his body fat % and improved his quickness. Was also mentioned that he played about half the year with a back issue that hindered his quickness and athleticism, reports are he’s looked very good this offseason.

VN Store

Back