2019 Target List

Well, I may have him confused with somebody else. I thought James was a 6'5 wing

He's technically listed as a combo guard now on 247, and I think his skill set actually fits a little better as a SG. But he would be an incredible get at guard no matter where you put him, and I certainly think he'd be good as a PG.

He's technically listed as a combo guard now on 247, and I think his skill set actually fits a little better as a SG. But he would be an incredible get at guard no matter where you put him, and I certainly think he'd be good as a PG.
FWIW Rivals has him as a PG...i definitely wouldn’t classify him as a SG as his shot is his biggest weakness. I would put him at the 3 or 4 before I put him at the 2.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
This article mentions a Michigan St visit in Oct, but 247 doesn't have it on his timeline. At least we should know in about a month, cause he wants to commit before the start of his senior season. I'm cautiously 60/40 in favor of Duke. Would love to stop the streak and land this one tho.
Porter-Gaud's Josiah James narrows list to final four
I believe he cancelled the MSU visit. Looks like it is down to us (visited last weekend), Clemson (visits this weekend), and Duke (visits next weekend).

He is from Charleston, SC, and Clemson had a sort of resurgent season. Brad Brownell has been there 8 seasons and has been mostly average, at best. If distance is a factor, which I doubt, Clemson has a very slight advantage (240 miles). They seem like the least threatening of our two competitors.

Duke is, well, Duke. The draw is obvious. Duke loses one senior, but most likely at least 3, if not 4 of their star-studded freshman class. They currently have no one committed for the 2019 class, but are obviously heavily involved with several of the top players in the class, most notably Cole Anthony in addition to James. It's hard to see us beating Duke for a kid they really want, but do they want an answer from Anthony first?

Tennessee obviously had a great season last year, and is positioned to have another great season this year. Fortunately, it shouldn't stop there, as by the time James' freshman season rolls around, we will have a very upperclassman heavy team. Williams, Turner, Bone, and Bowden will all be SRs, Walker, Pons, Fulky, and Jalen Johnson will be JRs. That should make us an attractive option for a kid that wants to play for a winner, and should help negate that particular advantage Duke normally would have over us.

I believe he cancelled the MSU visit. Looks like it is down to us (visited last weekend), Clemson (visits this weekend), and Duke (visits next weekend).

He is from Charleston, SC, and Clemson had a sort of resurgent season. Brad Brownell has been there 8 seasons and has been mostly average, at best. If distance is a factor, which I doubt, Clemson has a very slight advantage (240 miles). They seem like the least threatening of our two competitors.

Duke is, well, Duke. The draw is obvious. Duke loses one senior, but most likely at least 3, if not 4 of their star-studded freshman class. They currently have no one committed for the 2019 class, but are obviously heavily involved with several of the top players in the class, most notably Cole Anthony in addition to James. It's hard to see us beating Duke for a kid they really want, but do they want an answer from Anthony first?

Tennessee obviously had a great season last year, and is positioned to have another great season this year. Fortunately, it shouldn't stop there, as by the time James' freshman season rolls around, we will have a very upperclassman heavy team. Williams, Turner, Bone, and Bowden will all be SRs, Walker, Pons, Fulky, and Jalen Johnson will be JRs. That should make us an attractive option for a kid that wants to play for a winner, and should help negate that particular advantage Duke normally would have over us.

Glad Mich St is out. I also didn't know we were his first offer as a 9th grader. Not that it means anything toward his final decision,I just found it interesting.

Glad Mich St is out. I also didn't know we were his first offer as a 9th grader. Not that it means anything toward his final decision,I just found it interesting.
I do think it speaks to how much time and effort we have invested. 4 years of effort spent luring him to Knoxville for 1, maybe 2 years of time on the court. That is big. Now, other schools have surely invested a lot of time as well. Being that first offer may not win him over to us, but it certainly won't hurt, either.

Staff has done everything they can, not sure it will be enough as it’s hard to think we beat Duke straight up for a recruit they really want, but we shall see.

FWIW Rivals has him as a PG...i definitely wouldn’t classify him as a SG as his shot is his biggest weakness. I would put him at the 3 or 4 before I put him at the 2.
On second thought, I completely agree with you. He has good size and would be a good SF if needed there. But I would rather have him at guard regardless. Would love to land him, but still think Duke is the leader.

His demeanor doesn’t scream give me attention, which if not for being burned in the past(with cruits we felt good about), would make me think Duke isn’t the lock they usually are. And on not that his ranking and video need positives said about his game, but to keep the conversation about him playing the 3 or 4, he gets really good lift on his jump shots so he could absolutely get his shot over taller defenders. And being a lefty is an additional weapon. That last part is jmo.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
I was able to see James play a few months ago in a tourney at Charlotte. He was matched up against Jaden Springer for most of the game against B Maze's team and was the best player on the floor imo. Kid seemed to have a quiet confidence about him...reminded me a little of how C.J. Watson used to play. Would be a big get for Barnes and Co. obviously.

Rivals updated, new ranking/old ranking...

#14/#11 Josiah James
#28/#18 Jalen Lecque
#98/NR Robbie Beran
#106/NR Tyrell Jones
#110/NR Issac McBride
#118/#87 Dekeyvan Tandy

Annoyed that almost all the guys were are interested in who were already ranked dropped. But glad to see McBride is almost a top-100 guy now

Seems like Grunfeld (1973) might have been the first big time recruit landed by Mears. Boerwinkle was a project. Justus, Widby, and Jimmy England were very good players, don't know how highly rated they were. Mike Edwards might have been the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star.

Grunfeld, King, and Johnson were Mears'.

Dale Ellis was Devoe's. So was Tony White.

Houston was Houston's.

Tony Harris was, I think, KO's. Played for Jerry.

Vincent Yarbrough? Jerry Green's?

Lofton was Buzz's.

Richardson was Cuonzo's.
As I recall, Richardson was a two to three star

VN Store

Back