2019 Masters Tournament

His attitude & all the media hype. I don't care for it

Guess you never heard of Ben Hogan & the car wreck he had that almost killed him. Jim Nantz is nothing but a smoke blower with all his tiger spooge for tv ratings. It's fine that you " respect the accomplishment" & a "tip of the hat". I'm not doing neither & that's fine to me
If I remember correctly, they thought Hogan might never walk again. I believe it badly broke his pelvis among other things. I don't remember how much time he spent in the hospital, but I think it was a significant length of time. Ken Venturi's 1964 U.S. Open win was quite a comeback story too.

His attitude & all the media hype. I don't care for it

Guess you never heard of Ben Hogan & the car wreck he had that almost killed him. It's fine that you " respect the accomplishment" & a "tip of the hat". I'm not doing neither & that's fine to me
Actually have heard of Hogan’s accident. Was having a discussion about it with a buddy of mine today. You can not do either and that’s your right. Your inability to understand humans, including you, are flaws and to respect amazing accomplishments is something you should do. Many of the greats in all sports have been as bad or worse then Tiger. He just did it in the world of today. Where we have a 24 hour news cycle. Where we have social media. I bet if you listed to the 10 greatest athletes you admired most a few would have some really bad **** in their closet. Spouse beating? Rape? Infidelity? They are probably in there for many.

Actually have heard of Hogan’s accident. Was having a discussion about it with a buddy of mine today. You can not do either and that’s your right. Your inability to understand humans, including you, are flaws and to respect amazing accomplishments is something you should do. Many of the greats in all sports have been as bad or worse then Tiger. He just did it in the world of today. Where we have a 24 hour news cycle. Where we have social media. I bet if you listed to the 10 greatest athletes you admired most a few would have some really bad **** in their closet. Spouse beating? Rape? Infidelity? They are probably in there for many.
I can still recognize O.J. Simpson as one of the greatest running backs ever. I saw him play many times on tv, both in college and in the pros. It doesn't mean I'm a fan of him personally.

I can still recognize O.J. Simpson as one of the greatest running backs ever. I saw him play many times on tv, both in college and in the pros. It doesn't mean I'm a fan of him personally.
You can for sure. The guy I am responding to seems incapable of recognizing greatness. I could be wrong and misreading it though.

You can for sure. The guy I am responding to seems incapable of recognizing greatness. I could be wrong and misreading it though.
I'm sure everyone recognizes it. They just may not like him for a number of reasons. I find the media fawning to be repetitive and too gushy. He plays a stupid game. Yes, he is the best at it, but it's still a game.

I put no sports person on a pedestal. Probably the most important person in my lifetime has been Jonas Salk. He is a true hero in my opinion.

What was the amazing accomplishment? He won a golf tournament where he was in the final group down by 2 strokes. Is that the amazing accomplishment? Ain't that what he's tring to do, win? Don't give me the surgery junk as the amazing accomplishment. Tiger's played many tournaments since the surgeries.

Patrick Reed won last year & has been accused of stealing a putter - selling it, cheating by finding a ball in woods & claiming it was his during a match & having his own college team mates hoping he would loose. I didn't respect his amazing accomplishment either.

Now you're twisting it. We were talking about amazing accomplishments, not recognizing greatness

D9B54643-7A92-4947-8A68-90F61DDDE980.png

Lol now you are just hating.
Read about Patrick Reed's past and what his former college teammates and his family think about him. He isn't much of a human being from what I have read. We need to keep in mind that sports stars are just people like the rest of us, and many aren't good people that you would want to be around. Their fame is not enough of a reason to give them the time of day. Many of the tour players come from a background of privilege and entitlement, and have a carefully crafted public image.

I have met many golf pros that seem to think they are better than the rest of us because they can play golf, and they have a country club mentality. This is true on the local level as well. You can generally spot a golf pro by his clothes and his ego.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomq_123
Lol now you are just hating. Oh respect Hogan. Wasn’t he just trying to win. Let me ask whose expectations do you think would be accurate: Hogan’s docs or woods? Incredible by both. But how many kids died in Hogan’s time bc of the measles? Pull your head out of your ass.
There were approximately 400 measles deaths per year in the 1940's and 1950's.

There were approximately 400 measles deaths per year in the 1940's and 1950's.
And 13,000+ cases of paralytic polio the year before the vaccine was introduced. But, we digress.

I get that Tiger has a checkered past, as do a lot of athletes, and -- in fairness -- a lot (all) of us. He's a human... We screw things up.

I really hope that he has turned his life around. It was very evident in the scene with his kids that this was a huge moment. Maybe the biggest of his life. Can we just drop the hate and enjoy an athlete doing something spectacular?

And 13,000+ cases of paralytic polio the year before the vaccine was introduced. But, we digress.

I get that Tiger has a checkered past, as do a lot of athletes, and -- in fairness -- a lot (all) of us. He's a human... We screw things up.

I really hope that he has turned his life around. It was very evident in the scene with his kids that this was a huge moment. Maybe the biggest of his life. Can we just drop the hate and enjoy an athlete doing something spectacular?
Trust me on this. I grew up during the polio scare and had a friend stricken with it in about the mid-50's. We took the vaccine at school. At some point, it was a pink liquid placed on a sugar cube from an eye dropper.

I actually am glad that Tiger has something in his life besides himself and golf. He has looked truly happy lately , and I don't think he was beforehand.

Trust me on this. I grew up during the polio scare and had a friend stricken with it in about the mid-50's. We took the vaccine at school. At some point, it was a pink liquid placed on a sugar cube from an eye dropper.

I actually am glad that Tiger has something in his life besides himself and golf. He has looked truly happy lately , and I don't think he was beforehand.
My older partner practiced before the HiB vaccine, and I employ his experience often when parents balk on vaccination. I have very few who decline, but the issue still surfaces.

On Tiger: I have read and heard that he seems to have changed. I know I certainly have since I was the age when he was in his prime. I wake up thankful for the day and for the family God has given me. I try to live each day in service of my children, wife and patients. I hope his victory inspires his kiddos and that he is thankful and humble in his accomplishment.

How can anyone be trying to bash tiger after today. The man has defied all odds and nay sayers to complete in my mind the greatest comeback in sports history. Congrats Tiger you deserve it.

Thanks for the link. Nice writeup. Like I said in the Tiger Woods Saga thread...….."everybody knows you don't go for that pin, unless you need a birdie really bad." There are 2 more par 5's coming up for that in the next 3 holes.

That is what us hackers call a sucker pin.

Thanks for the link. Nice writeup. Like I said in the Tiger Woods Saga thread...….."everybody knows you don't go for that pin, unless you need a birdie really bad." There are 2 more par 5's coming up for that in the next 3 holes.
Yep. Between the last 2 groups, 6 players came up to that tee and 4 of them put it in the water. That's just amazing how each preceding player saw the mistake the guy in front of them made, then went on to make the same mistake themselves. Except for Tiger.

There will never be anyone like Tiger in our lifetimes.
Nobody moves the needle in their sport like Tiger does, to be sure. Golf needs Tiger more than the NBA needed Jordan.

The shadow he casts over the game when he isn't there is immense, almost to the point where he is a bigger figure than the game itself, at least in contemporary terms.

Dude, give it a rest. It's unarguably one of the biggest sports moments in history. He made a decade+ long comeback after what many thought was the surgery to end his career, beating a field of guys that he literally inspired to play golf when they were kids.
this. i'm not a Tiger fan. and i was betting against him doing this this week. didn't htink he could take advantage of the par 5's and i definitely didn't think he could come from behind, much less hold a lead.

color me impressed. that was a big deal this weekend. and you can hate tiger, and still realize that. it's like hating the patriots, but still understanding what they've done as a franchise is ridiculously impressive....

Reactions: 1972 Grad
Nobody moves the needle in their sport like Tiger does, to be sure. Golf needs Tiger more than the NBA needed Jordan.

The shadow he casts over the game when he isn't there is immense, almost to the point where he is a bigger figure than the game itself, at least in contemporary terms.
eh, i think there was a time a few years ago that was true. but Golf is as healthy as it's been in a very long time, w/ or w/out Tiger.

i think Tiger, at this point in time, being competitive, and winning only enhances it.

Tiger winning the masters......puts it over the top, no doubt.

but week to week, even when Tiger was not playing the past few years, still had some GREAT golf, and there is a bevy of young stars that are doing a good job of making it interesting.

if there is a problem, it's that every time someone wins a major, there are inevitably those in the media that start trying to figure out if that guy is the "next tiger", which isn't really fair. Rory, Brooks, Jordan...they've all been put under that micro scope.

and the reality is, the game is VERY competitive now at the top, because you have all those guys winning at a very high level. week in week out you get to watch DJ, Jordan, Patrick Ried, Koepka, Ricky, Justin Thomas, Dechambeau, Finau, Molinari and probably 4 or 5 others that can win basically any tournament they play in....and you still have some veterans that can win anything they play in....Justin, phil, Kuchar....then throw in the Euros that matter....Ousthauzen (sp lol?), Stenson...

now throw a resrugent Tiger on top of that....it's definitely GREAT for golf...but it wasn't necessary.....

what i will say is that Tiger winning Sunday was a great sports story in general. not just a golf story. Koepka winning Sunday wouldn't have generated the type of story that Tiger did. so don't mis understand, i do know how big it was. my only point is it wasn't necessary for golf to be good going forward.....

VN Store

Back