2019 coach's hot seat

Pruitt will get it turned around.

But, if he were not able to salvage the season....If I were the AD, I would not make a change at HC until I already had an agreement with the next coach. Seems shady, but have to look competent and prevent another hiring debacle.

I feel like this will all be water under the bridge in a few weeks. Go Vols.

Reactions: bpalmer28
We have Pruitt until year three or four minimum. That being said, whoever our next coach is, they MUST have some experience being a head coach and not just taking over where Brian Kelly left off.

Pruitt isn't going anywhere but these conversations are fun so I'll give you a list, no order:

Gus Malzahn - The tension between him and Auburn is public knowledge. He might be interested in a lateral move.
Hugh Freeze - One year at Liberty may not be enough of break for him, but you have to call him.
PJ Fleck - Phenomenal turnaround at Western Michigan. Hasn't done much at Minnesota yet, but interested to see what he does in year 3.
Mike Norvell - Memphis is obviously better than we are right now with less talent.
Neal Brown - We'll see how he does at West Virgina.
Pat Fitzergald - I know I'm not inspiring confidence with this list, but this is the tier you'd most likely be looking at.
Matt Campbell - 8 wins at Iowa State is about as good as it gets. He's done it twice.
Jeff Brohm - We'll see how he does in year 3. Off to a rough start.
Will Muschamp - If you can't beat him, hire him? He'd probably lol but what the hey. We're aren't afraid of rejection.
Derek Mason - See above

We have Pruitt until year three or four minimum. That being said, whoever our next coach is, they MUST have some experience being a head coach and not just taking over where Brian Kelly left off.
Uh try again sparky lol. Pruitt is fired with 2 wins or less. No way in hell Fulmer would be able to deal with the s—tstorm from the fans and boosters if he gives him one more shot....it would be a lost cause at that point...

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I don't think he's going anywhere. The only way he gets fired is if Fulmer already has someone big lined-up and ready to go. Fulmer doesn't want to go through another coaching search and neither do we. But, if someone like Freeze or another known coach was signed and sealed, I could see him doing it if Pruitt tanks.

Don’t need a new Head Coach. Need an Offensive Coordinator. Chaney is predictable.

Haha...so typical of this place. Never a thought about maybe having garbage on the OL and QB limiting what he can actually call and do. Nevermind what he did at his previous jobs. Let's start talking firing the man after one damned game. WTH is wrong with you people?

Tennessee needs someone with a great head coaching resume.

Mike Locksley would be the guy.......but prob be hard to get him from Maryland. Not sure how they ever landed this guy.

I posted on this site in 2008 that we should have looked at Mike Locksley to replace Fulmer. Boy would things be different now.

Tennessee is leading the coaches hot seat as to who will be let go after this year....
if this happens to VolNation,,,,who do we go after? i know this guy turned us down a couple of times, buy why not go after his receivers coach, associate HC,
Kacey Dunn from Oklahoma State. Look at the talent he gets at wideout and look at how many go pro. that's from 2-3 star kids and he coaches them up. put him in our conference, facilities and he could get 4-5 star kids....
just a thought
Where is this information coming from? I haven’t seen anything that suggest Pruitt is on the hot seat.

Any coaching search here typically begins and usually ends with someone off Jimmy Sexton's client list.

The guy has turned coaching hires at UT into a cottage industry. Basically doesnt get out of bed to negotiate with the Vols.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Putting feelings aside we both know he is a hell of a coach!!!!

He can coach sure but I’m not willing to sell the soul of the program for a win.

If what happened at Vandy happened here he’d be fired immediately and all pay would be voided

I understand Georgia State was an inexcusable and horrible loss, but there is no way Pruitt is fired after this season, nor should he be. There's no doubt they need to turn this around and show improvement, but this roster still needs a few more recruiting classes. Again, totally inexcusable to lose to Georgia State, but this roster needs more talent plain and simple.

Reactions: De La Cloobs
I understand Georgia State was an inexcusable and horrible loss, but there is no way Pruitt is fired after this season, nor should he be. There's no doubt they need to turn this around and show improvement, but this roster still needs a few more recruiting classes. Again, totally inexcusable to lose to Georgia State, but this roster needs more talent plain and simple.

Whether it would happen or not, I don't know, but there's an argument to be had if we ended the season at 1-11 or 2-10, as to whether or not it is even financially in the best interest of UT to continue with a coach with a record of 6-18 or 7-17 after two seasons. If attendance numbers drop below profitability and merchandise royalties drop to nil by the end of the season, then even his buyout may not be enough to save his job once the accountants draw up the 3-5 year revenue projections.

Tennessee is leading the coaches hot seat as to who will be let go after this year....
if this happens to VolNation,,,,who do we go after? i know this guy turned us down a couple of times, buy why not go after his receivers coach, associate HC,
Kacey Dunn from Oklahoma State. Look at the talent he gets at wideout and look at how many go pro. that's from 2-3 star kids and he coaches them up. put him in our conference, facilities and he could get 4-5 star kids....
just a thought
honestly, i would take Fulmer. no one cares more than him. he has watched the team from the outside for 10 years. if Pruitt was fired mid-season, give me Fulmer as the interim

I would have thought that Taggert is at more risk than Pruitt.

I agree with you, for a refreshing change, but when it comes to coaching im probably not the right guy to pick a coach.
I thought Strong was a sure fire winner and wanted him as coach.
Shows what I know

VN Store

Back