2018 Record

Beat our cupcakes = 3 wins
KY Vandy Mizzou = 3 wins

West Virginia, Florida, and South Carolina are toss ups imo. We prob win one of those, two if breaks go our way.

So 6-8 regular season wins in my two cents.

We can't really call them cupcakes if we cant beat them the previous year.

Reactions: 1 person
We can't really call them cupcakes if we cant beat them the previous year.

I think the 3 cupcakes he was talking about were the three non-conference, non-Power 5 games. And we did win all of those last year. And are strongly favored to do the same this year. It's why they're cupcakes. :)

He wasn't calling Vandy, Kentucky, and Mizzou cupcakes. He does predict we'll beat all three, but wasn't calling them cupcakes. Different line.

p.s. I look forward to the day when we can return to thinking of V-Ky-Mizzou-USCe as cupcake games. :good!:

Last edited:
I think the 3 cupcakes he was talking about were the three non-conference, non-Power 5 games. And we did win all of those last year. And are strongly favored to do the same this year. It's why they're cupcakes. :)

He wasn't calling Vandy, Kentucky, and Mizzou cupcakes. He does predict we'll beat all three, but wasn't calling them cupcakes. Different line.

p.s. I look forward to the day when we can return to thinking of V-Ky-Mizzou-USCe as cupcake games. :good!:

My B, my reading comprehension is nonexistent haha

Reactions: 2 people

They are cupcakes, always will be. Unfortunately we preformed like cupcakes and out-cupcaked them a couple of times. Chit gonna change for us.

They are cupcakes, always will be. Unfortunately we preformed like cupcakes and out-cupcaked them a couple of times. Chit gonna change for us.

Good point.

Yeah, good point. *sigh* I wish we were already back to them being cupcakes.

I actually believe if our schedule had 12 of the worst teams in college football on it, some of you would still say "5-6 max, we ain't good nuff to win 8 or 9 like the big boys yet, we still inna 5 maybe 6 level."

To play devils advocate for a second. I am a Gator fan and as such the enemy. I, therefore, can not be accused of making homer picks in favor of Tennessee.

And every single season I have been on this board except for one, I overestimated Tennessee’s win total. Sometimes it wasn’t close. For instance, I have never picked Tennessee to miss a bowl and they have missed a bowl several times in that span.

It makes complete sense for a fan to think 5-6 wins at this point

Reactions: 3 people
To play devils advocate for a second. I am a Gator fan and as such the enemy. I, therefore, can not be accused of making homer picks in favor of Tennessee.

And every single season I have been on this board except for one, I overestimated Tennessee’s win total. Sometimes it wasn’t close. For instance, I have never picked Tennessee to miss a bowl and they have missed a bowl several times in that span.

It makes complete sense for a fan to think 5-6 wins at this point

I didn't say it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: 2 people
fyp. yw. fwiw. ymmv. cia. roflcopter.

That's what I meant. Lol.

Seriously, I think there are some that look at the schedule and pick the wins, then count and find out they think we win 8, but oh lawdz, they can't be "one of them" delusional fans. 5 or 6 max just has a better sound too it and if we win more, who's gonna care?

Blah blah blah.

Edit: And to be clear, I do believe there are those that honestly believe we win 5 or 6.

Last edited:
I think we'll know a lot more after kickoff of the WVA game, but for now, these are my predictions. A few toss-ups in there, but I'll just leave this here till December.

WVA - Loss, thanks Will Grier
E TN State - Win, cupcake
UTEP - Win, cupcake
UF - Loss, F* Mullen but his roster has the advantage
UGA - Loss, but definitely closer than 41-0
AU - Loss
Bammers - Loss
USCe - Loss, Muschamp's team is on the rise
Charlotte - Win, cupcake
Kentucky - Win, team starts to gel at end of season
Missouri - Loss, Drew Lock just too good
Vandy - Win, regain Tennessee state title

So this puts the Vols at 5 - 7. The East is getting stronger, the cross-division opponents are two of the toughest, and our season opener is against a team who's offense was clicking last year. Doesn't bode well for CJP's first season.

Reactions: VolAllen
<game by game predictions, see post above>

So this puts the Vols at 5 - 7. The East is getting stronger, the cross-division opponents are two of the toughest, and our season opener is against a team who's offense was clicking last year. Doesn't bode well for CJP's first season.

Here's an interesting thought. If Butch Jones were our coach right now, my 2018 prediction would almost exactly match your 2018 prediction for CJP & Crew.

That's curious, isn't it?

I think CJP does better, even in his first year. 5-7 wouldn't shock me, but I think he does better.

6-6 is our ceiling this year and nobody should be mad about it. You can’t go winless in the league and expect to turn around the next year under a new regime and win 8-9 games.

Auburn went 3-9 under Chizik his last year, then they turned around and went to the NC game under Malzahn his first year. I’m not saying we’re going to the NC game, but 7-8 wins after a 4-8 season is not impossible with a competent coaching staff.

I think we'll know a lot more after kickoff of the WVA game, but for now, these are my predictions. A few toss-ups in there, but I'll just leave this here till December.

UTEP - Win, cupcake
AU - Loss
Bammers - Loss
Charlotte - Win, cupcake

Welcome!

I disagree with SC being on the rise. They've done what they should have, taken advantage of ours and Florida's backslide. Otherwise they were their normal 6 to 7 win team.

UTEP - Win, cupcake
AU - Loss
Bammers - Loss
Charlotte - Win, cupcake

This is pretty much where I am. We may improve, but our improvement isn’t in a vacuum. USCe, UF, and Mizz will probably be better as well.

Everyone wants to win now but the 2019 season is where the big jump happens. If not, then we should worry.

The optimist in me leans toward 6-6, but I'm at 4-8 until proven otherwise. We lack key depth, questions at QB, and a first year coach. Not the best situation.

2019 is where I expect things to take off if Pruitt is our dude.

I actually believe if our schedule had 12 of the worst teams in college football on it, some of you would still say "5-6 max, we ain't good nuff to win 8 or 9 like the big boys yet, we still inna 5 maybe 6 level."

But our schedule doesn't have 12 of the worst teams in college football. If this were the Mac we are winning 11 ball games so not being negative just realistic for once in my life

Thinking 6-6...7 wins is a real possibility, but so is 5. Just being realistic,

VN Store

Back