'20 TN SG Keon Johnson (Tennessee commit 8.6.19)

Im not getting into this every day but all Ill say is if he wants to be paid like he's the 3rd best coach in the country then I want top 3 results.

If he gives us that Ill never complain and Ill be his biggest supporter.

Ill say since the raise he's 1-1.

He lost Blackshear and won Johnson.

His record needs to be improving.

Well boys...we are barely .500...guess we can kiss that recruiting championship goodbye

🤔

Im not getting into this every day but all Ill say is if he wants to be paid like he's the 3rd best coach in the country then I want top 3 results.

He is 1-1. But he is going after very good players. That's all I ask. For the most part, the star system is a lot more accurate in basketball(I know I'm going to catch Hell over saying that)

He is going after the big dogs. Coach K and Cal don't get everyone they won't too.

Eh. I think a .500 record when you are fishing for the big dogs is an excellent record that even the blue bloods would be thrilled to have.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Man, calling someone a girl on a message board because they made a bad joke that went over like a popcorn fart. It's like I traveled back in time to 1999.
Still calling Simmons to UTC?

Honestly, it would seem like in order to maintain the integrity of your decision that you no longer "like him", that you have set the bar at an unattainable height to judge him.

You know top 3 results aren't likely to happen here, probably ever, and at least not any time soon. Tennessee's decision to make him the 3rd highest paid coach doesn't require him to transform the program into top 3, especially overnight.

But you're still bent over the idea that Barnes got paid a lot of money, probably unwarranted, and then, perhaps foolishly in hindsight, was too forthcoming about how close he was to making the move to UCLA.

It's over with. Why do you still care? He's our coach. He's winning. Not at a top 3 level and likely never will, but why do you care? Is top 10 a failure because he gets paid a top 3 salary?

Its kinda like you had a good wife but you found out she was flirting it up with another man so you bought her a new car to get her to stay.

Do you feel the same way about her anymore?

Now Im done.

Its kinda like you had a good wife but you found out she was flirting it up with another man so you bought her a new car to get her to stay.

Now Im done.
That's a really bad analogy.........A way better one is that you have a really good employee and a rival company makes him to offer to persuade him to come work for them and you make a counter offer because said employee is really valuable to you and you want him to stay.

Now Im done.
That is a terrible analogy, man. Come on. You can't emotionally personalize the situation. It just doesn't carry water.

I like that bit about Keon being a Junior level Josh Richardson as a defensive player, already, except more athletic and longer

We did kinda cheat on Cuonzo with Bruce, though.
Ehh, I didn't sign that stupid petition. Anyone who believed at that time, or still does believe that Bruce Pearl will ever coach at Tennessee again, is.....well, that's a whole different discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider
It was a celebratory week for the Tennessee coaching staff, who deserve some kudos for locking down the top prospect in the state and a player who could be on the cusp of moving into five-star territory with Keon Johnson’s commitment on Tuesday night.
Johnson had long been thought to be a Tennessee lean but that doesn’t dampen the importance of getting him in the boat. Tennessee had invested nearly two years in this recruitment and keeping this kind of talent in state sends a message to other prospects. Additionally, pairing Johnson with five-star forward Corey Walker Jr. is setting up a potentially monster class.
-VQ

Ehh, I didn't sign that stupid petition. Anyone who did at that time, or still does believe that Bruce Pearl will ever coach at Tennessee again, is.....well, that's a whole different discussion.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

a. re:
MinisterofDef#92's comments that he is "not going to get into this everyday," but time after time keeps responding---If don't want to say anything about it every day, then if he would stop responding, he would not get into it every day.

And maybe you have never had a "perfect job" that you thought you would never get, and had a very good job
but not your dream job, and were doing great work at the good job---and suddenly the dream job
came open and they came after you, and you asked a ton of money to try to get them to stop interrupting
what you were doing so it would not distract you and your staff, and
they said "yes," do you want anything else? Maybe you never had that happen. Few do. But you have to take it,
unless your family says no. The chance to rebuild his mentor, John Wooden's program, would have made Barnes
a household word for decades in college basketball.

But you are one dumb cluck if you think somebody should not fulfill a dream, for which he is going to make
more money than ever thought possible---if it is done ethically---because a bunch of people half of whom never
went to the school they are yelling about, when it is your dream job.

If you are dumb enough to think a coach should undermine his own
career to pacify a bunch of message board cowboys; then you are one dumbaxx. Just saying.

Be glad he stayed.
Be glad AD Fulmer knew how to handle it.

And this coach and his staff are recruiting like mad, despite having lost
one of their best recruiters who got a HC job. Like I said originally, if you don't want to talk about this, then
hush. Your act is getting old, especially since you make no sense with your comments.

b. re:
various and the ongoing "we want pearl,"

Pearl has been around crooked coaching time after time. His assistants keep falling by the wayside, because of cheating. Pearl has been three places that we know of where he cheats.
-Pearl has had a show-cause against him and had to leave coaching. He left UT in chaos, with NCAA penalties.
-Auburn is going to get penalties, as the action by the NCAA publicized earlier this month shows.

If you are dumb enough to want a coach who is guaranteed to put the program under a microscope of NCAA investigators,
and want lots of penalties attached to the program, then you are one dumb cluck.

Last edited:
Ehh, I didn't sign that stupid petition. Anyone who did at that time, or still does believe that Bruce Pearl will ever coach at Tennessee again, is.....well, that's a whole different discussion.
I signed it. Don’t believe he ever coaches UT again. Where am I?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I signed it. Don’t believe he ever coaches UT again. Where am I?
Poor wording, I guess. Should read, “Anyone who believed at that time, or still does believe that Bruce Pearl will ever coach at Tennessee again...”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

a. re:
MinisterofDef#92's comments that he is "not going to get into this everyday," but time after time keeps responding---If don't want to say anything about it every day, then if he would stop responding, he would not get into it every day.

And maybe you have never had a "perfect job" that you thought you would never get, and had a very good job
but not your dream job, and were doing great work at the good job---and suddenly the dream job
came open and they came after you, and you asked a ton of money to try to get them to stop interrupting
what you were doing so it would not distract you and your staff, and
they said "yes," do you want anything else? Maybe you never had that happen. Few do. But you have to take it,
unless your family says no. The chance to rebuild his mentor, John Wooden's program, would have made Barnes
a household word for decades in college basketball.

But you are one dumb cluck if you think somebody should not fulfill a dream, for which he is going to make
more money than ever thought possible---if it is done ethically---because a bunch of people half of whom never
went to the school they are yelling about, when it is your dream job.

If you are dumb enough to think a coach should undermine his own
career to pacify a bunch of message board cowboys; then you are one dumbaxx. Just saying.

Be glad he stayed.
Be glad AD Fulmer knew how to handle it.

And this coach and his staff are recruiting like mad, despite having lost
one of their best recruiters who got a HC job. Like I said originally, if you don't want to talk about this, then
hush. Your act is getting old, especially since you make no sense with your comments.

b. re:
various and the ongoing "we want pearl,"

Pearl has been around crooked coaching time after time. His assistants keep falling by the wayside, because of cheating. Pearl has been three places that we know of where he cheats.
-Pearl has had a show-cause against him and had to leave coaching. He left UT in chaos, with NCAA penalties.
-Auburn is going to get penalties, as the action by the NCAA publicized earlier this month shows.

If you are dumb enough to want a coach who is guaranteed to put the program under a microscope of NCAA investigators,
and want lots of penalties attached to the program, then you are one dumb cluck.

This is a bold statement

Now Im done.
Comparing an employment relationship to a marriage is dumb. Barnes never promised he would retire here.

2. Which recent commit could make the biggest impact next season?

McDonald: The easy answer to this question would be Evan Mobley to USC, but I'm not taking the easy way out here. I'm going to say Keon Johnson at Tennessee. Rick Barnes has the Vols rolling with commitments already in from Johnson and Corey Walker
with the possibility of Jaden Springer joining them in Knoxville. Johnson will make a big difference early at Tennessee.

Evans: Dan couldn’t have said it any better; while Mobley is going to have a great say as to how good USC will be during his likely lone year in college, what Johnson will mean for Tennessee should not be underestimated. He is the ideal wing for Barnes: a hungry, quick-twitch competitor that can complete practically whatever task is asked of him.

The Vols will take a step back this season but once Johnson arrives and if Josiah James is still enrolled, along with Walker in the frontcourt, Tennessee could be quite the out in March thanks to the all-encompassing abilities that the top-35 wing presents on both ends of the floor.

Basketball Recruiting - Rivals Roundtable: Greg Brown, instant impact commits, more

Wonder how many will be calling for Rick Barne’s head this upcoming season if we take a step back?

Reactions: SweetDaddy

VN Store

Back