'20 TN SG Keon Johnson (Tennessee commit 8.6.19)

That all depends on whether or not they would have been willing to pay Barnes' replacement the kind of money they are now paying Barnes. That is $26 million over 5 years. Only John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski are now making more. Top 3 money would have attracted some interest.
Highly doubtful they would’ve spent that much on a new coach. All the big names were already off the board anyway. Musselman was already at Arkansas, Williams was already at A&M, etc.

Reactions: butchna
Highly doubtful they would’ve spent that much on a new coach. All the big names were already off the board anyway. Musselman was already at Arkansas, Williams was already at A&M, etc.
You call those "big names"? I don't .... and there is no singular "board", if you are willing to spend $, you can create your own "board". And we don't know what Fulmer would have done. I'm glad it didn't reach another coaching search.

That all depends on whether or not they would have been willing to pay Barnes' replacement the kind of money they are now paying Barnes. That is $26 million over 5 years. Only John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski are now making more. Top 3 money would have attracted some interest.

This again. $5 million would have definitely attracted some names...some mid major coaches and maybe a few names at lower level P5 schools. That said, that's not how this works. We would have paid $3.5 to someone new. You pay $5 million to someone who has improved your program in 4 years, increased attendance, and PROVEN he could do it. Not sure why this is difficult to grasp.

This again. $5 million would have definitely attracted some names...some mid major coaches and maybe a few names at lower level P5 schools. That said, that's not how this works. We would have paid $3.5 to someone new. You pay $5 million to someone who has improved your program in 4 years, increased attendance, and PROVEN he could do it. Not sure why this is difficult to grasp.
You are speaking as if you know for sure what would have happened... and unless your name is Phillip Fulmer? You don't. There were many posts on here in April that were just as arrogant and snarky as yours and went something along the lines of "We will never pay a basketball coach a top 5 salary. He (Barnes) is gone." Oh, well.

You are speaking as if you know for sure what would have happened... and unless your name is Phillip Fulmer? You don't. There were many posts on here in April that were just as arrogant and snarky as yours and went something along the lines of "We will never pay a basketball coach a top 5 salary. He (Barnes) is gone." Oh, well.

Because it's common sense. Nothing snarky about it. People thought we could get Jay Wright. Comical. I think his name has been thrown out in every coaching search the last 20 years. Everyone else pays alot of money, too, and many high level coaches have it made at their current schools.

Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Chris Mack, and Bob Huggins may technically all make under $5 million per year, but they aren't leaving their schools. Buzz Williams is in the next tier down, and you said he wasn't a high level coach. You are kidding yourself if you think we have gotten a top 15 coach.

Plus, you pay Barnes a premium for what he has done- he has brought in more money for the athletic department, so it makes sense to pay him. Again, it's not that difficult.

Because it's common sense. Nothing snarky about it. People thought we could get Jay Wright. Comical. I think his name has been thrown out in every coaching search the last 20 years. Everyone else pays alot of money, too, and many high level coaches have it made at their current schools.

Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Chris Mack, and Bob Huggins may technically all make under $5 million per year, but they aren't leaving their schools. Buzz Williams is in the next tier down, and you said he wasn't a high level coach. You are kidding yourself if you think we have gotten a top 15 coach.

Plus, you pay Barnes a premium for what he has done- he has brought in more money for the athletic department, so it makes sense to pay him. Again, it's not that difficult.
We will have to agree to disagree. I am definitely not accepting that as gospel.

I’m not sure we’d even pony up $3.5 million for a lesser name. Heck, 4 years ago we only paid Rick Barnes $2 million.

What names were realistic?
That’s the biggest question...do I think Fulmer would pay $5m had Izzy called and said he wanted the job? Well yea, but that wasn’t happening.

So what “big names” were likely willing to move? It’s becoming more and more common for coaches to stay put if they are having success and built something successful.

Jay Wright leaving Villanova? Lol yeah sure.

Anyone who actually thought that was a possibility needs their head examined.

Only a handful of good coaches are available and most of the time, they’re not going to leave when they’re having too much success with their current schools.

So I work in the media and my sports guy was in an elevator with OSU legend Scoonie Penn on Tuesday (a great guy for what it's worth). Scoonie just took a job with the Grizzlies and is in the process of moving his family to Memphis. Scoonie asks my sports guy if he had heard anything about Keon because he obviously knew the announcement was due. My sports guy mentions he announced for the Vols. Scoonie says something along the lines of "damn, that's going to be great for them. Keon is the real deal."

Guess some of you jackwagons forgot how bad we were under Tyndall.

We could be competing with Vandy for last place in the SEC again if that’s what you want.

Barnes made Tennessee relevant and put them back on the map. I’m sure he isn’t worried about gaining one or two “fan’s” trust back.

Im not getting into this every day but all Ill say is if he wants to be paid like he's the 3rd best coach in the country then I want top 3 results.

If he gives us that Ill never complain and Ill be his biggest supporter.

Ill say since the raise he's 1-1.

He lost Blackshear and won Johnson.

His record needs to be improving.

VN Store

Back