1st off-season blemish/UT missed J. Hardy already signed?

MemphisVol77

Sunshine Dealer. Pure #FF8200, hit me up.
Apparently J. Hardy signed with Auburn during the early signing period.

BREAKING: Jay Hardy signed with Auburn in December, Tennessee coach had no clue

If this is our biggest off-season blunder or snafu, I can live with it.

Nothing for UT to do but take it on the chin if the report is true. Any PR attempt to save face would just make us look silly if our coaching staff had the means to know and should have known.

I'm still flabbergasted wondering
1. Why Auburn didn't announce he signed, or at least announce that they had an unannounced player/s sign during the early period?
2. Aside from UT, How did none of the national media, particularly the recruiting services, not catch and report on this?
3. What was J. Hardy really thinking if he actually continued to take visits and proceed as if he were an eligible recruit?

Last but certainly not least, I want to know which of our assistants was directly responsible for his recruitment? I heard rumors last November from alumni friends that knew boosters(yeah yeah, I know what that credibility is worth...) that J. Hardy had been a sure commit to UT and bungling his recruitment might cost his primary recruiter his job after he verbally committed to Auburn.
BTW, I left the names out because hearsay rumors usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Last edited:
He was already committed to Auburn, to begin with. We didn't flip him. That's not egg on our face. If you look at any top recruit, they have offers from multiple schools that are chasing them. Wish Hardy luck at Auburn and move on.

I know people on VN often do the "didn't want him anyway" bit when we don't get a recruit. While I'm not going to say that here; it does at least seem to be a somewhat justifiable position in this case.

Dude has been an absolute drama queen the entire recruiting process. Obviously, Pruitt et al see him as a potentially valuable player and frankly, there have been great talents who fit into the "drama queen" bucket; but Hardy just seems like an absolute pain in the butt.

At a bare minimum, I'm much more excited about having dedicated recruits like Big O, Tyler Baron, Cooper Mays, all the Memphis guys, etc.

When Hardy first committed to Auburn, I thought our staff might have failed, but the more I've seen of him, I'm just willing to say the issues were on Hardy's end. I don't know that our recruiters could've done anything differently.

He’s a garbage human being and will thus fit in well at Auburn.

When I saw the tape of the cheap shot, I thought it was jealousy and frustration on the part of the kid going for his knee. Now I'm wondering if it was that the kid going for the knee along with everyone else on the field knew what kind of guy Hardy was and hated him? Not trying to justify the shot to injure, but after his recruitment, it does make you wonder what someone like this might have done to the locker room. Hey, maybe he's the salt of the earth and so are his parents and we're all jumping the gun and misjudging him. I'm never gonna say never, but I think maybe we dodged a bullet on this one...at least from a chemistry standpoint.

I've said it several times. This kid will be hell to "unrecruit" and if his folks are as described, it's sure to be a headache/balancing act for the coaching staff. I'll mark this one to watch in the transfer portal in a year or two. I'll also be shocked if this fanbase doesn't clamor for us to sign him. Just the way things roll on VN.

Nothing for UT to do but take it on the chin if the report is true. Any PR attempt to save face would just make us look silly if our coaching staff had the means to know and should have known.

1. Why Auburn didn't announce he signed, or at least announce that they had an unannounced player/s sign during the early period?
2. Aside from UT, How did none of the national media, particularly the recruiting services, not catch and report on this?
3. What was J. Hardy really thinking if he actually continued to take visits and proceed as if he were an eligible recruit?

Last but certainly not least, I want to know which of our assistants was directly responsible for his recruitment? I heard rumors last November from alumni friends that knew boosters(yeah yeah, I know what that credibility is worth...) that J. Hardy had been a sure commit to UT and bungling his recruitment might cost his primary recruiter his job after he verbally committed to Auburn.
BTW, I left the names out because hearsay rumors usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.
With that kind of character, we don't want or need him on our team. Glad he is playing anywhere else. If I was Auburn, I would never trust him in anything I wanted him to do.

If he signed his loi, I'm assuming this is a recruiting violation by the good guys. Did Tennessee not do their due diligence?

Pardon my ignorance on this topic but is there no way to officially check if a kid has signed with another team or do they really have to go on the kids and parents word on this?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
If he signed his loi, I'm assuming this is a recruiting violation by the good guys. Did Tennessee not do their due diligence?

Pardon my ignorance on this topic but is there no way to officially check if a kid has signed with another team or do they really have to go on the kids and parents word on this?

No answer on your question, but for me, it all comes down to having some integrity and respect for the other coaches who are recruiting you. I've you've signed, your recruitment has ended. You don't continue to play games with them and waste their valuable time and resources. You tell them it's signed, sealed and over. This entire notion about having some sort of event on signing day and lying to everyone so you can "have your moment" is ridiculous. It should be public knowledge that you've signed and your recruitment is over. A kid should not be allowed to sign in the early period and continue the recruitment process and announce in the late period. This all assumes he did lie and sign early and has been playing games since the early period.

Here is a snippet from an article on SDS:
C31A17CE-D5A5-47FB-89D0-85D349CA45EF.png

Please note his January 18 response.

While I really shouldn’t have to say this, and it should apply to every potential recruit, let’s not bad mouth the young man. Yes, it will be disappointing if he doesn’t sign with us, but all these young men are only doing what they think is best for them. For the ones we miss, we just need to do a better job of convincing them Tennessee is the best place for them. As we are on an upswing, I get the feeling it won’t be long before most recruits will be clamoring to come here.

Reactions: Volatility
Here is a snippet from an article on SDS:
View attachment 255177

Please note his January 18 response.

While I really shouldn’t have to say this, and it should apply to every potential recruit, let’s not bad mouth the young man. Yes, it will be disappointing if he doesn’t sign with us, but all these young men are only doing what they think is best for them. For the ones we miss, we just need to do a better job of convincing them Tennessee is the best place for them. As we are on an upswing, I get the feeling it won’t be long before most recruits will be clamoring to come here.

I think most don't care about Hardy, I think most are poking at the person who wrote the article just trying to stir the pot

This doesn't hurt Tennessee

Reactions: Wormwood
It’s college recruiting of a HS kids that wants attention.

Why so serious?
So this is what our society has become. Trust is the foundation of a democratic society and we sure as hell have no reason to trust anything that is anyone is saying today. Today, we can not trust anyone in the worls today. Not our politicians, not our friends or enemies, not today's youth;, not anybody. One of the many reasons is most of us have failed as parents, as workers and as citizens of our Country. The only thing we can trust is our constant want and greed. If we have become so disinterested in the values which have allowed this Country to become the leaders of our world.

VN Store

Back