1st off-season blemish/UT missed J. Hardy already signed?

So he’s been saying he hasn’t signed. And even replied to that AP tweet saying he hasn’t signed. And then Auburn announces he signed? Is that what happened?

Pretty bad....when you put it like that, no?

Reactions: GBOx2
This isn't possible, right? At least the coaches not knowing part. When a prospect signs his LOI, the NCAA has to inform the other programs recruiting him so they stop contacting him. It's all in a database for all the schools to see.

Nevermind. Just read they delayed putting into the database. Kinda poor by everyone involved.

Last edited:
Apparently J. Hardy signed with Auburn during the early signing period.

BREAKING: Jay Hardy signed with Auburn in December, Tennessee coach had no clue

If this is our biggest off-season blunder or snafu, I can live with it.

Nothing for UT to do but take it on the chin if the report is true. Any PR attempt to save face would just make us look silly if our coaching staff had the means to know and should have known.

I'm still flabbergasted wondering
1. Why Auburn didn't announce he signed, or at least announce that they had an unannounced player/s sign during the early period?
2. Aside from UT, How did none of the national media, particularly the recruiting services, not catch and report on this?
3. What was J. Hardy really thinking if he actually continued to take visits and proceed as if he were an eligible recruit?

Last but certainly not least, I want to know which of our assistants was directly responsible for his recruitment? I heard rumors last November from alumni friends that knew boosters(yeah yeah, I know what that credibility is worth...) that J. Hardy had been a sure commit to UT and bungling his recruitment might cost his primary recruiter his job after he verbally committed to Auburn.
BTW, I left the names out because hearsay rumors usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Your saying Hardy lying is Tenn.'s blunder? Wow!!

Saw Rodney Gardner is his primary recruiter.
How old is this guy? And he is still a recruiting machine.

So this is what our society has become. Trust is the foundation of a democratic society and we sure as hell have no reason to trust anything that is anyone is saying today. Today, we can not trust anyone in the worls today. Not our politicians, not our friends or enemies, not today's youth;, not anybody. One of the many reasons is most of us have failed as parents, as workers and as citizens of our Country. The only thing we can trust is our constant want and greed. If we have become so disinterested in the values which have allowed this Country to become the leaders of our world.
Agree.. Trust is more than just a name on a bank.

Lost him to a school that celebrates accomplishments with toilet paper...

how fitting..

Reactions: MadWorld
Never stop recruiting. In the day and age of the "transfer portal" you might just get someone to transfer on over.....
This is very true...see Cade Mays.

Vol fans couldn't rip him enough until 2 weeks ago. Now, it's "welcome home" with open arms.

"Cruitin' ain't a milk and cookies game. The lies are flying from all sides.

I just checked the official Auburn football website. He is not listed in their 2020 early signing class.

Count me in the crowd that thought missing on Hardy was a big deal when he committed to Auburn over UT. The fact that he was a big, athletic, highly regarded kid at a position of need and was a legacy in an area important for UT to be able to recruit all made it appear to me that he was a big miss. The longer this has drug on though the stranger and stranger the recruitment became. It seemed like most signs pointed to UT leading up to the announcement (including the word around town here in Chattanooga) and then it was Auburn and then there was a lot of discussion about UT still being in it (even an interview with Hardy about what UT needed to do to flip him) and then this announcement of his signing that Hardy refutes (and those are just small snippets of the saga). I still think he would’ve been a great addition but the old adage of weird recruitment generally leads to a weird career could be prescient here.

Is it possible the Auburn coaching staff released this statement to try to keep other programs from still recruiting him, for fear of losing him? Or is it some troll job trying to stir the pot? I would like to see all the top recruits in Tennessee go to Tennessee, just like the fans of other programs want to see the top players in their states go to the state university, but that isn't reality. He's an eighteen year old kid, he should go where he feels most comfortable.

If this is true, I would imagine there should be some sort of punishment for Auburn. If they knew he signed and he was still able to take visits then that seems like a violation to me.

So after you sign the loi you can continue to take official / unofficial visits? I was wondering a couple days ago, who pays for these visits? The player? If not how is that not a violation of extra benefits.
It is my understanding, the NCAA "requires" the player to notify any school that pursues him to let them know he had already signed. Now, is this infraction something that the NCAA penalizes, I have no idea. Doubt it......

Somewhere you gotta wonder where the adults are in this. Parents, any coaches at McCallie who might have known, Auburn coaches who did and Tennessee coaches who didn’t bother to check are all guilty of poor judgement, bad leadership and plain laziness.

Add another item to the list of things Pruitt has had to learn.

Last edited:
3 Tenn coaches were in Chatt this week watching him play along with the Auburn coaches.

UT coaches be like...

source.gif

I would’ve liked for him to man up and said so instead of lying and stringing people along. I’m sure resources, time, and money was spend on this kid that could’ve been spent elsewhere if he’d just told the truth.

Your saying Hardy lying is Tenn.'s blunder? Wow!!

Immediately after I posted the link to the article, which BTW the article states that UT did have the means to know he had already signed......

I said
if the report is true....
if our coaching staff had the means to know and should have known.
I acknowledged that my statement was contingent on the accuracy of the article....

So to reiterate, yes. If UT had the available means to know J. Hardy had already signed a letter of intent and continued to recruit him that is a blunder.

I'm not trying to speak for J. Hardy's, Auburn's, or the NCAA's part in this. Just UT's. It doesn't matter if it's not yours, if you step in sh!t, you still got sh!t on your shoe.

Last edited:
Someone posted a rule stating that a recruit had to inform other teams if he signs an NLI. UT's coaches have been to his BB games recently if I am not mistaken so at a minimum Hardy broke that rule if not others.

If I am in UT's recruiting office (assuming this report is true), I cause him as much trouble as I can. Hopefully he never plays a down for Auburn.

VN Store

Back