1st off-season blemish/UT missed J. Hardy already signed?

Every season-every school has those that commit, decommit, thinking about a commit-I need to be closer to my sick grandmother problem, etc. etc., we'll never know what we have until that first team meeting. This problem is going to get worse with the portal deal. Once the unlimited money can be paid to a player for his "likeness" it will be a new world, everything you think you know about recruiting will change that day. We will no longer see NCAA football (or any other sport) the same way again. We will suddenly join the "minor league" in the open. No longer will money have to change hands "in secret", but will be legal, and within the NCAA rules, thank you Komi-fornia.

Actually the kid is a liar and played a lot of people. Auburn announced his signing and his mom had to come out and say he signed. He played Tennessee and a few other schools. So the kid is a liar and was still seeking the attention of the recruiting process.

Well, Auburn’s IT department must suck then.

I don't even blame the kid here. At some point an adult -either a parent or Auburn official- needed to step in here. They had to know that he was still being recruited.

Exactly about the parents. What was their role in all of this? Where were they? Where were the McCallie coaches in all of this as well?

This doesn’t speak well of our relationship with their coaches moving forward without some serious explanation.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Well I thought we were going to flip Hardy. But after seeing the tweet from AP, Hardy can kick rocks. He can go down to the plains and hang out in the cabin.

I don't even blame the kid here. At some point an adult -either a parent or Auburn official- needed to step in here. They had to know that he was still being recruited.
Just out of curiosity, in your opinion, at what age does a boy become a man? I hope we are not picking on a juvenile, I thought this young man, is, in fact, a young man, not a boy-one that needed his mama to wipe his nose etc.

Yeah. I had to wait in line 3 hours outside the Mays house just to get my apology in...

Y'all give this forum and the general opinion of the fanbase way too much credit. The Mays family never gave one iota of a **** about what "Volnation" thought at any point in the process.. I promise you that.
I'm sure that truer words have never been spoken! And not just Volnation-but any Vol fan for that matter.

Who cares? If he cant handle the grind at UT let him go elsewhere. We want guys on the hill not afraid to battle for playing time.
Man there is a lot of sour grapes on Vol nation. Just let it go, it was all just wishful hoping by so many.

McCallie is a high dollar school in chat town that prides itself in graduating honest young men of high character. Oh well!

Reactions: white65
I'm all over prospects getting the most out of the recruiting process. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. I just don't get the silent commit thing. Recruiting has become too much of a show. With all that being said, I'll rock with the ones who want to be here. If you don't want to be, then be mature enough to let the staff know.

Reactions: thehill98
3 Tenn coaches were in Chatt this week watching him play along with the Auburn coaches.
Was this an allstar football game or a basketball game. Which coaches were there and did they specifically go to watch Hardy?
Edit: Nevermind, I read more on this thread.

Last edited:
Immediately after I posted the link to the article, which BTW the article states that UT did have the means to know he had already signed......

I said

I acknowledged that my statement was contingent on the accuracy of the article....

So to reiterate, yes. If UT had the available means to know J. Hardy had already signed a letter of intent and continued to recruit him that is a blunder.

I'm not trying to speak for J. Hardy's, Auburn's, or the NCAA's part in this. Just UT's. It doesn't matter if it's not yours, if you step in sh!t, you still got sh!t on your shoe.

I'm pretty sure UT doesn't wont you speaking for them!

Was this an allstar football game or a basketball game. Which coaches were there and did they specifically go to watch Hardy?

BB game. Ainsley, Rocker & Sherer were the 3. The 3 Hardy called out a couple weeks ago that he needed to build a closer relationship with in order to sign with Tennessee.

Well, Auburn’s IT department must suck then.
Has nothing to do with them, has everything to do with this kid was playing everyone because he didn't want the attention of the recruiting process to go away. His mom went public with it cause he was lying to everyone

Apparently J. Hardy signed with Auburn during the early signing period.

BREAKING: Jay Hardy signed with Auburn in December, Tennessee coach had no clue

If this is our biggest off-season blunder or snafu, I can live with it.

Nothing for UT to do but take it on the chin if the report is true. Any PR attempt to save face would just make us look silly if our coaching staff had the means to know and should have known.

I'm still flabbergasted wondering
1. Why Auburn didn't announce he signed, or at least announce that they had an unannounced player/s sign during the early period?
2. Aside from UT, How did none of the national media, particularly the recruiting services, not catch and report on this?
3. What was J. Hardy really thinking if he actually continued to take visits and proceed as if he were an eligible recruit?

Last but certainly not least, I want to know which of our assistants was directly responsible for his recruitment? I heard rumors last November from alumni friends that knew boosters(yeah yeah, I know what that credibility is worth...) that J. Hardy had been a sure commit to UT and bungling his recruitment might cost his primary recruiter his job after he verbally committed to Auburn.
BTW, I left the names out because hearsay rumors usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.
I don't consider this a blemish. This is a perfect example of what is wrong with the recruiting system. Schools expending dollars on a kid who had already committed, this should be a NCAA violation and the player should reimburse every school.

BB game. Ainsley, Rocker & Sherer were the 3. The 3 Hardy called out a couple weeks ago that he needed to build a closer relationship with in order to sign with Tennessee.
Read some more on this after my post. Hardy and/or Auburn should be called out on this by NCAA in some manner.

Reactions: Volsfaninva917
Just out of curiosity, in your opinion, at what age does a boy become a man? I hope we are not picking on a juvenile, I thought this young man, is, in fact, a young man, not a boy-one that needed his mama to wipe his nose etc.
I've got a 17 year old who is smart, respectful, yet has the social graces of a baboon. About once a week I find myself with a pained look saying "Dude...what are you thinking?" Lol

Hardy commented that he has not signed with Auburn yet. So maybe Price got the wrong info.

So after you sign the loi you can continue to take official / unofficial visits? I was wondering a couple days ago, who pays for these visits? The player? If not how is that not a violation of extra benefits.
I think schools pay for officials and the player pays for i officials.

VN Store

Back