1965 Freshman Football Team

Two more... One from a dinner with a few other recruits and another from a recruiting pic from the box at Neyland.

Attachments

• 33E456A0-A937-484A-B8B7-55B34BAC77B6.jpeg
    33E456A0-A937-484A-B8B7-55B34BAC77B6.jpeg
    735.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 52853CF2-4C1D-41BA-8D96-1EDFA3FCCCF2.jpeg
    52853CF2-4C1D-41BA-8D96-1EDFA3FCCCF2.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Guest and 1972 Grad
No way. I've heard the story of him hitting a 60 yard punt in the Orange and White game One too many times.
He was a good punter and receiver in high school. I believe he played tight end on offense, and was also a defensive lineman, like in college. Can you imagine a 205 pound defensive tackle today?

Two more... One from a dinner with a few other recruits and another from a recruiting pic from the box at Neyland.
Pretty awesome, the wall of fame for your dad. But…….you’re holding out on us. In the picture with the flannel shirt I can see a reflection of a framed 33 jersey & below that there’s another framed jersey with a name on the back. I’ve got a few game used football jersey’s. Show us:cool:

Reactions: MillerTime80
UT Room

Here is a thread I did last year. It has most of my stuff. Only recent addition I have is the Gate 20 sign.

Attachments

• 84196688-9C19-4EC3-9438-0612927F9B5A.jpeg
    84196688-9C19-4EC3-9438-0612927F9B5A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 984333D3-78DB-4C8C-9D02-23631BA0D497.jpeg
    984333D3-78DB-4C8C-9D02-23631BA0D497.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 6
Great list. 65 was the year I started really following the Vols. Wasn’t Jimmy Weatherford the db whose interception clinched the UCLA win in Memphis? I remember his run back upset the UCLA bench and a skirmish resulted. UCLA coach made some ridiculous comments to the press afterwards.

I don’t know why I keep thinking it was Bobby Patrella (sic) that had the pick - I know he ended up with a broken nose during the brawl

Reactions: wmcovol
His Freshman football photo & the UT Freshman stats (him included) with the Stokley diagram. I truly appreciate all of your help. Still trying to track down some programs (or anything else for that matter). I framed his football photo for him and man, that one got him choked up…. I have been able to get some old boards from Stokley and plan to incorporate them into framing the basketball sheet/stats.
View attachment 427710View attachment 427711View attachment 427712
Bumping this for any new people that might have something. @MillerTime80 is looking for anything related to Bill Dunaway, his dad. A VFL in football & basketball for the years 1965 - 1966. Ticket stubs, programs, pictures........anything. Ms MillerTime80 recently gave birth to their twin boys!!

Not that the game has changed any but Charlie Rosenfelder was an offensive guard.

He was 6'1" and 208lbs.

couldn’t use your hands at all in those days. Just like those guys would get killed by todays rules, todays OL couldn’t block using those rules. Defenders would be by them in an instant. They changed the rules to protect QBs and promote the passing game.

couldn’t use your hands at all in those days. Just like those guys would get killed by todays rules, todays OL couldn’t block using those rules. Defenders would be by them in an instant. They changed the rules to protect QBs and promote the passing game.
Reggie would've humped Charlie, hands or no hands, at 208lbs. He would've pushed him right into the QB even if you let him bear hug him.

208lbs...... hehehehe.

Anybody remember when Neyland looked like this? From the 71 Football Guide.

View attachment 427730
1642014391948.jpeg

My first time in Neyland was the 1972 spring game. Sitting on the West press box side around the 30 on the North end, that upper deck on the East side looked awful steep & tall to a 13 year old kid that don’t care for heights. Brought home a #44 Bobby Majors orange jersey from the bookstore & I became Bobby Majors for a couple seasons in yard/street ball in the neighborhood. Everybody played both ways back then in yard ball, with no pads & targeting was expected. Smear the Q*eer was another we did, gang tackling one person with the ball with no rules. Nobody died!!

A good video on the 1971 season. Excellent quality in the video & narrated by legend John Ward

View attachment 427798

My first time in Neyland was the 1972 spring game. Sitting on the West press box side around the 30 on the North end, that upper deck on the East side looked awful steep & tall to a 13 year old kid that don’t care for heights. Brought home a #44 Bobby Majors orange jersey from the bookstore & I became Bobby Majors for a couple seasons in yard/street ball in the neighborhood. Everybody played both ways back then in yard ball, with no pads & targeting was expected. Smear the Q*eer was another we did, gang tackling one person with the ball with no rules. Nobody died!!

A good video on the 1971 season. Excellent quality in the video & narrated by legend John Ward

Man, I've never seen the video. Thanks for sharing! Love that kind of stuff.

Reactions: Guest

That 71 team, great defense and abysmal QB play. I know for a fact Holloway would have won the Auburn game and would have given us a good shot against Alabama.

Reactions: Guest and peaygolf
Reactions: Guest
Yes. Coach Dickey is often overlooked for the outstanding job he did in the mid to late 60s. He inherited a total rebuild and turned them into championship contenders. Sometimes I am tempted to rank him as our 2nd best coach of all time behind Neyland. Fulmer had a longer tenure but I think Dickeys quick turnaround was more impressive.
Also I believe beat Bear 3 out of 6 contests, a feat not accomplished by any UT coach not named Neyland

Reggie would've humped Charlie, hands or no hands, at 208lbs. He would've pushed him right into the QB even if you let him bear hug him.

208lbs...... hehehehe.

Teams in those days rarely lifted weights. Chip Kell was the first real weightlifter I recall ever playing at Tennessee. He benched 550lbs and I don’t think Tennessee has had many if any beat that.

Listen I’m not arguing that Reggie White, probably the greatest DL in the history of the game, wouldn’t have been dominant but the cut blocks, wider splits & crackback blocks (also illegal now) would have been different. I don’t think 300 OTs could survive today under those old rules. Hell, they can’t block good people now without holding even by todays rules.

When I taught at Whittle Springs Middle School, they had a school record(s) board and Bill Justus held about every record there was in multiple events related to fitness testing and PE/sports specific achievements. The old timers told me that he was one of the BEST athletes to come out of Knoxville and was just great at anything he played. That records board was like a shrine to Bill Justus.

VN Store

Back