19 students, 3 adults dead in Texas elementary shooting.

I might add limiting screen time and social media, encouraging and expanding the availability of team/group activities like sports, outdoor recreation, music, arts, etc, NOT forcibly isolating children for extended periods (e.g. for a respiratory virus), NOT cramming exaggerated fear messaging down their throats, NOT celebrating perversions or gender dysphoria, and maybe spending some time in Church or small group Bible studies.
100%. Social Media and the internet is a huge reason for all this. As well as the everybody wins mantra that kids are growing up with today, kids need to be taught failure and how to deal with it not oh well you tried to you win. That's not how the real world works.

Reactions: SlipKidVol and AM64
I suggest red flag laws in combination with additional resources for mental health observations and counseling. Engaging parents and teachers to stress that mental health is a thing, even for your angels, and destigmatizing it for both parents and students. Start being tougher on ourselves in how much are we talking at home, is all this screen time really helping anybody? Including myself who spends way too much time on my phone in front of my young kids.

Way to many parents are using medication as a substitute for discipline and use mental illness as an excuse for their kids bad behavior.

I definitely remember those days. Seems amazing how we had freedoms like that - because we didn't abuse them. Of course, in those days you got punished at school, too ... and if you got punished at school, it happened again when you got home. It also seems like the school curriculum made a lot more sense than it does now, too; that thing of sticking more to the traditional subjects might just have had something to do with that.
Yep. It’s almost like adults didn’t put up with us kids being idiots. Who knew that was the right way the install accountability🤷‍♂️

Every time we have to endure these lectures it's always the same - vague references to "common sense" gun laws which invariably wouldn't have stopped the person from obtaining guns or general statements that "if we didn't have guns then...".

I'm open to ideas but haven't seen any that would make a difference.
The “greater good” argument can kiss my gun owning ass.

And I say all that to say this. I'm still not sure this was a planned thing, if he was actually running from the cops I honestly think it was a crime of opportunity go out in a blaze of glory type thing.
It was planned. His grandmother used to work at that school

Reactions: AM64
I want to know why in the **** someone can buy body armor? Bears and deer are not shooting at you. The only reason to purchase that is because you expect to be taking heavy fire. Also, an 18 year old should not be allowed to buy a fireman, period. Bunch of larping pussies with their Billy Badass ARs running around.

I want to know why in the **** someone can buy body armor? Bears and deer are not shooting at you. The only reason to purchase that is because you expect to be taking heavy fire. Also, an 18 year old should not be allowed to buy a fireman, period. Bunch of larping pussies with their Billy Badass ARs running around.
18 year olds are adults. They should be able to do as any other adult can

If they’re old enough to die in military service of their country then they’re old enough to buy guns, smoke, and drink.

Now if you want to raise the service limit to 21 also then we can talk.

These idiots act like it's the Wild West when one psycho out of 330 million people goes berserk.

The wild west wasn't really that wild either. The shootout at OK corral left 4 dead. Dodge City Kansas went like a decade without a sheriff and didn't have a single killing. The wild part of the west had more to do with cowboys vs. natives, crimes like robbery, and stuff like that. Shooting a guy over a card game is Hollywood stuff that didn't actually happen that often.

Most of the mass killings were by the government.

The wild west wasn't really that wild either. The shootout at OK corral left 4 dead. Dodge City Kansas went like a decade without a sheriff and didn't have a single killing. The wild part of the west had more to do with cowboys vs. natives, crimes like robbery, and stuff like that. Shooting a guy over a card game is Hollywood stuff that didn't actually happen that often.

Is that what your Time life books said or was there an article in the skeptical liberal I mean “libertarian”.

Hearing on news that one of the shot LEO’s was the SRO for the school. He tried to intercede and put the shooter under fire but was injured. Still unknown how the shooter just walked into the school.

I'd be curious as to how this guy got in the school. Seems to me the doors should be locked during school hours. Also, why not install metal detectors in schools. Add a police officer at each as well. I mean $40 billion for Ukraine, it surely seems we could use $40 billion to begin to make changes that will have an immediate inpact. Seems like a decent place to start.

Reporters and what was the media back then ( imagine that ) are the ones responsible for making the Wild West so sensational where good guys and bad guys shot it out and killed everyone over someone being offended.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I'd be curious as to how this guy got in the school. Seems to me the doors should be locked during school hours. Also, why not install metal detectors in schools. Add a police officer at each as well. I mean $40 billion for Ukraine, it surely seems we could use $40 billion to begin to make changes that will have an immediate inpact. Seems like a decent place to start.
There’s a video showing him lurking around and just going right in.

Have not read through this thread so what I am about to say may have already been discussed.

Should we consider a license to purchase guns?

Growing up Georgia, it used to be one had to go before a probate judge to purchase a concealed carry permit. That is how I got my first one. I, frankly, thought that was not a bad thing in a small county because the probate judge either knew you or would know who to talk to about you. I have no idea how a system like that would be scaled.

There is so much wrong with our society we discuss on these pages, I am not about to begin to enumerate my thoughts on it in this post.

There are people who should not be able to legally possess guns. I do not have the answer for this problem because I trust the Federal government about as far as I can throw it so I am very leery of Federal solutions.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Way to many parents are using medication as a substitute for discipline and use mental illness as an excuse for their kids bad behavior.

Hogg - I think you are really onto something here. Besides the general cultural changes, I would bet that there would be an interesting correlation between the huge increase in Ritalin prescriptions and mass shootings starting in the 1980s and 90s. The next thing to look for is what new pharma/antipsychotic has become the rage in the last 15 years or so that is now massively over prescribed.

Somehow, I have a feeling that that correlation will line up with the shooting data better than any other factor, though I still feel social media has to have had some impact - but it would make the most sense that there was a chemical driver.

The truth is not hard to see guys. Really, it's not. We have mass shootings because we have a big time gun culture and laws that place few constraints on access. No one else in the first world has this problem.

No shootings, they have mass killings with swords….evil is evil and finds a way

I won't profess to be an expert, but info I can find said Texas alone had over 160 gunfights in the latter 1800's.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
On the subject of school security and preventive measures:

I visit multiple schools, public and private, in the course of being a dad and supervising student teachers. Every school system we've been at, from Jefferson County (where I taught for 14 years) to the most rural systems in Western Maryland have had security systems in place that require you to identify by voice and image to be buzzed in, an entrance that goes into the office after classes start and you have to be buzzed to the other side, or both. Most had SROs (Petal, MS has its own hired officers with cars and uniforms). One township in Ottawa Co, MI requires people to fingerprint check in at a kiosk in the office.

Video released that was supposedly taken next door allegedly shows the shooter just opening the door and walking right into the front of the building.

I hope states can find the money to provide schools without these security systems an opportunity to install modern security measures. Done right, it's not that intrusive unless you're being anxious and trying to bypass it.
Agree completely.

We’ll find $Billions to spend on every pet project under the sun….

How about increased school security

VN Store

Back