19 students, 3 adults dead in Texas elementary shooting.

Have not read through this thread so what I am about to say may have already been discussed.

Should we consider a license to purchase guns?

Growing up Georgia, it used to be one had to go before a probate judge to purchase a concealed carry permit. That is how I got my first one. I, frankly, thought that was not a bad thing in a small county because the probate judge either knew you or would know who to talk to about you. I have no idea how a system like that would be scaled.

There is so much wrong with our society we discuss on these pages, I am not about to begin to enumerate my thoughts on it in this post.

There are people who should not be able to legally possess guns. I do not have the answer for this problem because I trust the Federal government about as far as I can throw it so I am very leery of Federal solutions.

We have background checks to simply purchase a firearm but some of the questions are based on the honor system and then supposedly verified by the agency performing the background check. They can’t however verify things like drug use unless the purchaser has prior arrests for that offense. To get my concealed carry permit I had to take an 8 hour class, pass a written test, and then qualify with my firearm. After that my fingerprints were taken and I had to submit a form to the state law enforcement division where it took 90 days to actually receive my permit.

Amen brother. Raising kids is hard work if done right.

Honestly I find it highly enjoyable. It is one of the true joys of my life. I put more effort into raising my kids than any other thing I do, along with my marriage.

I am confused by parents that aren’t doing the same.

I want to know why in the **** someone can buy body armor? Bears and deer are not shooting at you. The only reason to purchase that is because you expect to be taking heavy fire. Also, an 18 year old should not be allowed to buy a fireman, period. Bunch of larping pussies with their Billy Badass ARs running around.

Thanks for your insightful input.

I won't profess to be an expert, but info I can find said Texas alone had over 160 gunfights in the latter 1800's.

Is that a lot? That's like 2 months in Baltimore and Baltimore has 1/3 the population of Texas in 1880. By gunfights, you mean duels or it's counting bank robberies and stuff like that? That link would be helpful

Have not read through this thread so what I am about to say may have already been discussed.

Should we consider a license to purchase guns?

Growing up Georgia, it used to be one had to go before a probate judge to purchase a concealed carry permit. That is how I got my first one. I, frankly, thought that was not a bad thing in a small county because the probate judge either knew you or would know who to talk to about you. I have no idea how a system like that would be scaled.

There is so much wrong with our society we discuss on these pages, I am not about to begin to enumerate my thoughts on it in this post.

There are people who should not be able to legally possess guns. I do not have the answer for this problem because I trust the Federal government about as far as I can throw it so I am very leery of Federal solutions.

No.

Hogg - I think you are really onto something here. Besides the general cultural changes, I would bet that there would be an interesting correlation between the huge increase in Ritalin prescriptions and mass shootings starting in the 1980s and 90s. The next thing to look for is what new pharma/antipsychotic has become the rage in the last 15 years or so that is now massively over prescribed.

Somehow, I have a feeling that that correlation will line up with the shooting data better than any other factor, though I still feel social media has to have had some impact - but it would make the most sense that there was a chemical driver.

When the gun grabbers won’t touch the subject with a 10’ pole you know there’s something to it.

So really no need for any criminal laws, right?

Criminal laws only somewhat work if there is a great deterrent. Of course criminals are criminals and lack of respect for law and authority is only getting greater due to people like you. How do you stop a criminal that’s looking to die and take others with them? What laws do you propose?

So really no need for any criminal laws, right?

Laws are like locks on doors. They keep honest people honest - the others don't care about what you believe is right or yours. Also people might be more respectful of laws if there were a lot fewer of them - simple and covering the basics of social behavior.

We have background checks to simply purchase a firearm but some of the questions are based on the honor system and then supposedly verified by the agency performing the background check. They can’t however verify things like drug use unless the purchaser has prior arrests for that offense. To get my concealed carry permit I had to take an 8 hour class, pass a written test, and then qualify with my firearm. After that my fingerprints were taken and I had to submit a form to the state law enforcement division where it took 90 days to actually receive my permit.
Was that a TN license? Pretty much what one has to do for the enhanced CWP which what I have now.

Honestly I find it highly enjoyable. It is one of the true joys of my life. I put more effort into raising my kids than any other thing I do, along with my marriage.

I am confused by parents that aren’t doing the same.

Did not mean to imply it was torture. But doing it right is still a tall task. I enjoyed driving a tractor 12 hours a day, but that does mean it wasn't hard work.

VN Store

Back