'19 CA QB JT Daniels (Georgia commit)

Bring JT in and let JG compete against him. What harm is there in that? How does it harm the team for there to be a competition at all spots on the roster? Are JG's supporters scared of competition?

There is a risk it fractures the lockeroom.
If Pruitt doesn’t think that would happen I am all for it

The 2 were pretty close prior to Kiffin and Chaney transforming Crompton. After that, there's no question, Crompton better.
Crompton (SR year) vs JG last year -

Crompton threw for 1.1 yards less per attempt, same td:int, worse qbr, worse completion%. He did beat JG in TD/attempts. 14.2 vs 16.0. Worse record. Obviously Crompton had more INTs/attempts. Tifwiw

Other stats:
Crompton -1.2 ypc
JG 1.1 ypc

Total YPP
Crompton 6.4 YPP
JG 7.2 YPP

3rd down conversion
Crompton 34%
JG 66%

VS SEC OPPONENTS

JG
9.0 YPA
55% completion
147 qbr
16.1 Attempts/TD

Crompton
6.9 YPA
56% completion
129 qbr
17.4 Attempts/TD

Last edited:
Reactions: barrylee

Crompton threw for 1.1 yards less per attempt, same td:int, worse qbr, worse completion%. He did beat JG in TD/attempts. 14.2 vs 16.0. Worse record. Obviously Crompton had more INTs/attempts. Tifwiw

The UCLA game is something I’ll never forget but to be fair to JC other than that one game he was solid QB that year

Crompton also played with a patchwork offensive line his senior year. TIFWIW

What are our chances on getting JTD? I feel like there are other programs with a clearer path for him to start than coming to Knoxville. Wouldn't mind having him but I don't know how realistic we are an destination for him.

GBFO.

Reactions: volatil
Holy smokes!...the dedication you have for this man who went so far rouge on the one yard line at bama only being down 2 scores on the road blows my ******* mind...Brian Maurer who is so bad as a “Freshman” right?showed more promise throwing against a top 10 Georgia ranked defense in a “PRIME TIME” game than a 3rd year starter! That speaks volumes for Brian having Georgia on the ropes early! in a very well played close first half..Kirby literally could not stay in his defense after half time.he strictly had that defense for JG.just like every other SEC school does “Loading the box”.Brian has good enough mobility,pocket awareness and arm strength to beat any team thats the difference here is what you are not understanding and if you gave him a full season of not having to look over his shoulder about messing up or being injured prone.your boy JG would be on the bench at UT,MTSU,Andy or ETSU.JG is just lucky tennessee has a had a S**ty run of QB’s and long lasting down years of football otherwise he’d be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.
He's not my boy but he's been the best option we have, you obviously think a QB that ranks bottom 3 in the league is going to be our savior because he had 2 good series of plays against GA?

Reactions: feathersax
The UCLA game is something I’ll never forget but to be fair to JC other than that one game he was solid QB that year
Certainly was.

JG FINALLY having the same OC and it being Chaney gives a glimmer of hope. But of course this thing had to happen this very Spring lol

Reactions: BruinVol

Other stats:
Crompton -1.2 ypc
JG 1.1 ypc

Total YPP
Crompton 6.4 YPP
JG 7.2 YPP

3rd down conversion
Crompton 34%
JG 66%

VS SEC OPPONENTS

JG
9.0 YPA
55% completion
147 qbr
16.1 Attempts/TD

Crompton
6.9 YPA
56% completion
129 qbr
17.4 Attempts/TD

I’ve tried and tried to tell you to stop with the math/stats. They make your stance looks foolish.

Let’s not forget who crompton had behind him in the I formation or from the Gun dude was a straight work horse and the majority of the offense was ran through Hardesty @de1conley tell this man😭🤷🏽‍♂️

Let’s not forget who crompton had behind him in the I formation or from the Gun dude was a straight work horse and the majority of the offense was ran through Hardesty @de1conley tell this man😭🤷🏽‍♂️

Crompton was a zone concept Hardest and Bryce Brown machine with D. Moore, G. Jones, Warren at TE machine. They ran the ball so much because Kiffin and Chaney did not trust JC. Play action pass extravaganza and very pedestrian as a qb

If you want to be upset about the UCLA game then be upset with Arian Foster or Daniel Lincoln for the missed field goal.more so Arian Foster though just because apparently he’s still hungry and his food trays were always Light.

You’re kind of off on your point and as I always state stats can be used to make any narrative as whomever is trying to make. But the reason your stats don’t compare is because both Tee and Kelly had aa conference RBs. JG had decent RBs but was more of the focal point than those two. If we had either of those 2 at qbthe past 2 seasons we’d have contended for the SECE title. JG is the worst starter at UT in all of my years of fandom and I’m 43.

JG has been bad but weren't Joey Mathews and Burney Veazey starters at some point too?? They were worse than JG imo. Also, coming from a 43 year old Vol fan

Reactions: StoVol
I don’t judge QBs by stats. That’s what I have been trying to tell you.

JG would be well down my list of good QBs. I think AK cost us winning a natty but I think he’s a little better than JG even though his stats suggest otherwise. I’d love to see JG play with the talent AK had and maybe more importantly against the SEC which was way down at that time. I think the results would be very similar between the two.

Off the top of my head I’ll rank the QBs in my lifetime in order:

1) Manning
2) CC
3) Heath
4) Dobbs
5) Tee
6) Ainge
7)Bray
8) Ak
9) JG
10) Crompton
11) Worley

all the rest are below 11 unless I missed one. With a good senior year JG could jump AK, Ainge and Bray imo. Now I am not saying he will do that but it’s possible imo

I agree with this except for Bray.

If Bray had a defense, any defense, he wins the sec east either his senior or junior year.

The teams Ainge played with had talent across the board and only lost to Auburn. You put Bray into those seasons when under cutcliffe I think he actually beats Auburn and wins the sec.

JG has been bad but weren't Joey Mathews and Burney Veazey starters at some point too?? They were worse than JG imo. Also, coming from a 43 year old Vol fan

The reality is we haven't had consistent qb play for awhile. We had kelly, shuler, Manning, tee, clausen and ainge. After that it's been a mixed bag to say the least

Crompton bad until senior year and then serviceable.
Simms - not good
Bray - very talented but a little bit of a head case
Worely and Peterman - not very good
Dobbs - incredible athlete, but Butch never really developed him and he just made plays on his own. Probably one of the most dynamic play maker we've had at the position in a long time, but as a passer he was average.
Dormady/JG - not very good

It would be nice to have a QB who just gets the job done. Like we had in the 90's and early 2000's

Crompton was a zone concept Hardest and Bryce Brown machine with D. Moore, G. Jones, Warren at TE machine. They ran the ball so much because Kiffin and Chaney did not trust JC. Play action pass extravaganza and very pedestrian as a qb
That win vs UGA was obnoxious. He played with half the field. It was a simple but effective gameplan by Kiffin.

Reactions: NEO and UTSuave’
If you want to be upset about the UCLA game then be upset with Arian Foster or Daniel Lincoln for the missed field goal.more so Arian Foster though just because apparently he’s still hungry and his food trays were always Light.
that’s funny.
hard to forget 93 passing yards with 3 picks though

The reality is we haven't had consistent qb play for awhile. We had kelly, shuler, Manning, tee, clausen and ainge. After that it's been a mixed bag to say the least

Crompton bad until senior year and then serviceable.
Simms - not good
Bray - very talented but a little bit of a head case
Worely and Peterman - not very good
Dobbs - incredible athlete, but Butch never really developed him and he just made plays on his own. Probably one of the most dynamic play maker we've had at the position in a long time, but as a passer he was average.
Dormady/JG - not very good

It would be nice to have a QB who just gets the job done. Like we had in the 90's and early 2000's

The job was a lot easier in the late 90s and early 2000s because of the players around the QB and on defence. Good news, though, is that the talent level has really increased in 2 years and more of that seems to be on the horizon

VN Store

Back