'18 GA QB Justin Fields

I think to get him to commit early knowing he wasn't the 1st choice and sell him on recruiting for us for the next 18 months as the QB and leader of that class will require the promise that he's the guy. No more Lawrence and no more Jones going forward. Its Fields, that's it. If he knows you're going to continue to push for the other 2 till NSD 2018, why commit and help you build the class?

Cmon man give the numbers thing a rest. Everyone on here is exhausted with that. It's all you talk about

Actually if it results in the QBs commitment, a lot of teams do it.

I would like to know if guys like Saban and Meyer do that. It sounds foolish. What happens if that QB flips? Then you have pretty much screwed yourself. I highly doubt many of the top programs do it. Maybe they do but I doubt it. Going all in on one player is a huge gamble unless you just have serious depth ahd can absorb a huge loss. Thats why most teams offer different guys at the same position. Nobody knows who is going to stay or leave until they sign their LOI and start playing.

So basically your logic is based on huge IFS.

Reactions: 1 person
Of course they do. Had Butch landed Lawrence or Jones these new QB offers wouldn't be going out.

Highly, highly doubtful. Especially with a 2018 recruit. Just because a guy commits doesnt mean that guy will stay committed, especially so far away from NSD 2018. Sorry but thinking that way is utter silliness.

I would like to know if guys like Saban and Meyer do that. It sounds foolish. What happens if that QB flips? Then you have pretty much screwed yourself. I highly doubt many of the top programs do it. Maybe they do but I doubt it. Going all in on one player is a huge gamble unless you just have serious depth ahd can absorb a huge loss. Thats why most teams offer different guys at the same position. Nobody knows who is going to stay or leave until they sign their LOI and start playing.

So basically your logic is based on huge IFS.

Are there no ifs in your world? I don't put any sort of effort in to following your posts, so that may be the case for you.

Of course there are ifs. That's the point of logic, to help navigate the ifs. It all depends what is on the roster. IF there is a good young QB on the roster (i.e. Guarantano), then you can probably go all in on having one QB be the guy. I'm pretty sure we stopped with 2016 QBs after he committed. If you are replacing someone and don't really have anything behind him, not the smartest move. I'm not sure if you were born yet, but in replacing Heath Shuler (and with only rising senior Jerry Colquitt and MLB draftee to be Todd Helton on the roster), Fulmer took a commitment from highly ranked Brandon Stewart, but that didn't stop him from recruiting a guy named Peyton Manning. That was a scenario where continuing recruitment made sense.

So yes, many ifs. That's the way life is for most of us.

This one isn't about numbers. We need 1 QB in 2018. Its not a tough situation to figure out. How do you get him? IMO you can't, at least not anytime soon if you're going to continue to push for or recruit TL and EJ. Fields has no incentive to commit early if he knows either guy calls 10 months from now and his spot is gone. Sure it's a risk. QB recruiting is a bit different though. Pick your guy and go with it. Want him to trust you? Don't give him a reason not to.

Reactions: 1 person
Are there no ifs in your world? I don't put any sort of effort in to following your posts, so that may be the case for you.

Of course there are ifs. That's the point of logic, to help navigate the ifs. It all depends what is on the roster. IF there is a good young QB on the roster (i.e. Guarantano), then you can probably go all in on having one QB be the guy. I'm pretty sure we stopped with 2016 QBs after he committed. If you are replacing someone and don't really have anything behind him, not the smartest move. I'm not sure if you were born yet, but in replacing Heath Shuler (and with only rising senior Jerry Colquitt and MLB draftee to be Todd Helton on the roster), Fulmer took a commitment from highly ranked Brandon Stewart, but that didn't stop him from recruiting a guy named Peyton Manning. That was a scenario where continuing recruitment made sense.

So yes, many ifs. That's the way life is for most of us.

Nobody, not me, not you or crunch knows what Butch or Fulmer did or didnt do. You could be right about going all in on 1 QB and you could be wrong. The point is nobody knows what will happen with a recruit. You can have flips, injuries or grade issues that could derail that recruit. Because of uncertainties like that it could make a coach want to recruit multiple QBs and not go all in on just one guy. Its a very risky move imo. Maybe Butch will do that and if he does I hope it works out.

Nobody, not me, not you or crunch knows what Butch or Fulmer did or didnt do. You could be right about going all in on 1 QB and you could be wrong. The point is nobody knows what will happen with a recruit. You can have flips, injuries or grade issues that could derail that recruit. Because of uncertainties like that it could make a coach want to recruit multiple QBs and not go all in on just one guy. Its a very risky move imo. Maybe Butch will do that and if he does I hope it works out.

Well, I'm pretty sure that Fulmer kept recruiting Peyton because, you know, he played here.

His trip to Tennessee on Sunday turned out to be a “great visit” that “helped Tennessee,” he said, although the race between his four favorites remains “wide open.”

“I got a chance to meet with Coach (Butch) Jones and all the rest of the coaches and got a chance to go around the campus a little bit and stuff like that, so it went well,” said Fields, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 407 overall prospect and No. 15 dual-threat quarterback in the 247Sports Composite for the 2018 class. “I got a campus tour this time. I actually got to see the academic center and stuff, so that was pretty neat. I spent probably the most time with Coach Jones. We ate lunch and stuff like that, so we were just talking a little bit. Coach Jones said that he wanted me to be their quarterback.

“It was a great visit.”

“Coach DeBord, he took me through all the different concepts, different fronts and stuff like that, and we went over a little bit of film,” Fields said. “That was good to see. I got to see how their offense actually compares to my high-school team’s offense. There were some plays they ran that are actually the same plays that we run in high school. They were actually comparing the film to NFL teams and stuff like that. But, as I was watching the film, I saw that they were running the exact same plays that my high-school team runs.”

“I think I have a better relationship with the coaches now, and I got to actually see how they feel about me,” Fields said. “I can see how much they want me there. I just got a better relationship with the coaches, and I have a good feeling about the offense.”

“I’m just visiting my top four schools right now. … After I visit all of my schools, I’ll probably make a decision,” he said.

- 247 (Callahan)

His top 4 is UT, UNC, Northwestern, and Penn State.

Reactions: 7 people
How does be compare to Emory Jones?

"Jones has a bigger arm. More zip on the ball than Fields. He would be able to throw balls into windows that Fields couldn't.

Fields has a good arm, nice placement on his deep ball. Accurate, too. Better athlete and runner than Jones."

- Fortenberry

This is what I want in a college QB.

Reactions: 2 people
Fields probably became one of, if not the most, important recruit in the 2018 class after Jones committed to tOSU. He's exactly what this offense needs. UT will need him to replace JG.

Definitely. Really need this guy. He throws a beautiful ball abd seems pretty relaxed in the pocket. I'd like to see him on some intermediate throws and timing routes but other than that, he's nice. If we got him i would lose absolutely no sleep over Jones. This guy is the real deal and still has two years of growing and maturation to go through.

Reactions: 2 people
- 247 (Callahan)

His top 4 is UT, UNC, Northwestern, and Penn State.

Gotta like our chances here. Hopefully he has a good last couple of years in HS, stays healthy, and is able to improve his craft even further!

I'm glad to hear he's already narrowed it down to four. I just hope this isn't a guy that makes a decision, gets an offer from someone else and is like oh wait I need to back off. Not saying he'll do that just don't want him to

VN Store

Back