'17 TN OT Obinna Eze (Memphis commit)

There is no we; I have no use for Clemson or their fans. I spent one football season there and made it to 2 games. My roommates couldn't understand why I'd spend money and time to drive 3 hrs to Knoxville 5x that year.

I point out blatant ignorance and blind homerism. The very dumbasses who complain when we wind up on the "dumbest fanbases" satire articles are the ones who put us there.

My loyalty as a fan is to my alma mater only but I'm not too proud to admit respect for another program when they're worthy; even if I despise them. I don't think anyone here cares for Ohio St or CUM in the least but most believe they had a dominant team in 2014. Does that make them (us) fans of OSU now?

KBVol has been blasted for pointing out their WR success vs ours over the last 5-7 years. It's a fact that can't be argued yet folks have a hard time with admitting it. The masses here have come to accept nothing but sunshine posts and if you don't follow suit you're a trader, nega-Vol or troll. The ability to reason, converse logically and debate on merits has long been vanquished here. Maybe because we weren't any good, but I don't recall it being this way when I signed up in 2009.

Spot on. Objective debate/discussion is sorely lacking on VN.

One could make a list of 100 things about the program, a coach or a player.....if only 1 of those things isn't deemed to be positive or complimentary, the other 99 comments of praise are null and void and said poster better duck for cover. Just the way it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I mean it IS a VOL messgae board so one should expect a pro UT bias. You would find the same only more extreme on other teams message boards.

Also, who are you trying to fool when you say 99 positive comments get overshadowed by the 1 negative comment? The people who get "attacked" are negative in general and you guys know it so why pretend otherwise?? It's the ones who focus on the negatives that get called out for it, not the person who has 99 positive posts for every one negative post.

Point blank, what's so wrong with defending your own team over the "enemy" teams??

Reactions: 2 people
objective discussion on a fan message board...yes that should be expected. <blue valentine font>

I mean it IS a VOL messgae board so one should expect a pro UT bias. You would find the same only more extreme on other teams message boards.

Also, who are you trying to fool when you say 99 positive comments get overshadowed by the 1 negative comment? The people who get "attacked" are negative in general and you guys know it so why pretend otherwise?? It's the ones who focus on the negatives that get called out for it, not the person who has 99 positive posts for every one negative post.

Point blank, what's so wrong with defending your own team over the "enemy" teams??

Most of my 25,000+ posts have been very positive and certainly lean heavy towards a pro UT bias. I've loved and followed the Vols for 40+ years now. But God forbid anybody have a honest discussion why a team like Clemson is presently more attractive to a top WR recruit or dare say Hugh Freeze is a good coach. A lot of posters immediately reach for the long knives rather than take it as a personal affront and then start hurling the epithets.

Not trying to fool anybody and the 99 to 1 example is admittedly a bit of hyperbole. I'll give you a specific. I've been called every name in the VN negavol book multiple times, had my Vol loyalty/fandom challenged and been told to go pull for another SEC team for giving my honest opinion on the job Coach Jones has done to date, which is overwhelmingly positive and complimentary.

Here it is.....Butch has done a phenomenal job of rebuilding/turning over the roster through his outstanding recruiting efforts.

He's done a great job with Dr Scoggin and the Thornton Center at turning around the team's academic issues and the APR.

Love the way he's embraced our program's traditions and invited our former players, from literally week one on the job, back into fold.

Similarly, he's done a great job repairing all the relationships with many key regional highschool coaches that Dooley deeply damaged.

Jones has also been great with his tireless efforts promoting the program. He's brought excitement, pride and revenues back to the football program that we all have so much passion for.

And finally, the onfield product and record is obviously much, much improved and he certainly deserves great credit for that. I think he does a great job with initial game plans and that his teams are very disciplined and well coached.

However, all those positive comments about the overall excellent job Butch has done very quickly fall on deaf ears with more than a handful of posters if I mention a couple or three personal criticisms of Butch so far.....1). Too much excuse-making, primarily last year, in his press conferences 2). He's done a poor job managing some key games late from the sidelines which I believe have led directly to 3-4 losses the last three seasons 3). Rather than take responsibility for some poor decisions/choices in some heartbreaking losses, he puts it back on players by saying we needed someone to step up and make a play or we've gotta learn how to win and close out games. While probably technically correct, as a fan I'd have more respect for him if he'd shoulder some blame....doesn't need to fall on the sword, just acknowledge his role in the losses and he refuses to do that.

So there, that's it....pick it apart.

Reactions: 6 people
Most of my 25,000+ posts have been very positive and certainly lean heavy towards a pro UT bias. I've loved and followed the Vols for 40+ years now. But God forbid anybody have a honest discussion why a team like Clemson is presently more attractive to a top WR recruit or dare say Hugh Freeze is a good coach. A lot of posters immediately reach for the long knives rather than take it as a personal affront and then start hurling the epithets.

Not trying to fool anybody and the 99 to 1 example is admittedly a bit of hyperbole. I'll give you a specific. I've been called every name in the VN negavol book multiple times, had my Vol loyalty/fandom challenged and been told to go pull for another SEC team for giving my honest opinion on the job Coach Jones has done to date, which is overwhelmingly positive and complimentary.

Here it is.....Butch has done a phenomenal job of rebuilding/turning over the roster through his outstanding recruiting efforts.

He's done a great job with Dr Scoggin and the Thornton Center at turning around the team's academic issues and the APR.

Love the way he's embraced our program's traditions and invited our former players, from literally week one on the job, back into fold.

Similarly, he's done a great job repairing all the relationships with many key regional highschool coaches that Dooley deeply damaged.

Jones has also been great with his tireless efforts promoting the program. He's brought excitement, pride and revenues back to the football program that we all have so much passion for.

And finally, the onfield product and record is obviously much, much improved and he certainly deserves great credit for that. I think he does a great job with initial game plans and that his teams are very disciplined and well coached.

However, all those positive comments about the overall excellent job Butch has done very quickly fall on deaf ears with more than a handful of posters if I mention a couple or three personal criticisms of Butch so far.....1). Too much excuse-making, primarily last year, in his press conferences 2). He's done a poor job managing some key games late from the sidelines which I believe have led directly to 3-4 losses the last three seasons 3). Rather than take responsibility for some poor decisions/choices in some heartbreaking losses, he puts it back on players by saying we needed someone to step up and make a play or we've gotta learn how to win and close out games. While probably technically correct, as a fan I'd have more respect for him if he'd shoulder some blame....doesn't need to fall on the sword, just acknowledge his role in the losses and he refuses to do that.

200w_s.gif

Honestly, i think that is a great post. Well thought out and doesn't come across as a "nega" post at all. I think in reality most of us are a lot closer to being on the same page than we realize, it's just difficult to convey your true feelings and intentions on a message board. Similar to texting.

I guess where i get a little sideways is when the negative attitude or the complaining about recruiting or even the praise for another program seems over the top and redundant.

Admittedly i wear orange tinted glasses and i tend to lean closer to the sunshine pumper side. Doesn't mean I can't be realistic about where our program or another program stands. I just don't want to hear how great other teams are and how much we suck repeatedly from our own fans. We get enough of that from rival fans lol.

You graduated from college but you don't know the difference between trader and traitor? Typical of Clemson fans..

Touché. I managed to type all that on my phone while walking the dog Sunday. I'll change it. Don't want the grammar police coming out in droves.

But I noticed that's all you managed to pick out. Point made then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Preach it, brother!
"As the head football coach, I am responsible for the losses. I take full responsibility. Everyone in our football program was extremely disappointed, and everyone in our organization needs to continue to improve and learn from the experiences that we had."

"I'm encouraged of the progress that we're making and the positives. I will tell you this: As the caretaker of Tennessee football, I refuse to allow any negativity to creep in or around our football program. We have way too much positive going on."

- Butch Jones

Reactions: 3 people
We don't need a top 25 lineman who is in instate? I'd take as many of those as we could round up. Solid OL seems to always be a source of need for everybody.

We don't need a top 25 lineman who is in instate? I'd take as many of those as we could round up. Solid OL seems to always be a source of need for everybody.

We have a great ol class need to fill other needs. He had his chance.

Would have loved to have Moore, but the needs at other positions prevented that. If there some surprise losses before NSD, that might open the door to another OL, but don't see that happening.

Word was he was a 'different' recruit and simply wanted to go to Memphis. Also saw stated that he was very 'raw' and had a lot of development ahead. Apparently had tremendous measurables and upside, hence his high ranking.

What was your screen name before this one?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA he changed his screen name? &#128557;&#128557;&#128557;&#128557;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

It was bigorange91. How could anyone forget the rich guy who can afford full 247 access &#128557;

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA he changed his screen name? &#128557;&#128557;&#128557;&#128557;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

It was bigorange91. How could anyone forget the rich guy who can afford full 247 access &#128557;

Nice

VN Store

Back