'16 NC QB Austin Kendall (former UT commit)

History lesson:

Committed to Tennessee and Butch basically de-recruited him to get JG in the same class.

I hated that move at the time, but came around on JG by the end of his senior year and can circuit and decided to “trust the coaches.” While I continue to support JG as a Tennessee player, I’ve always thought this was the better QB.

Would be bizarre full circle to see him return to Tennessee and unseat the player that essentially took his spot
It is almost like Pruitt went back in time and b*tch slapped Butch to the ground. He then proceeded to force feed a crying Butch Jones cornbread, while telling Kendell just hold off for a couple years, I am coming.

Last edited:
Yea I remember thinking we definitely upgraded when JG got on board. But mostly because he appeared to run like a deer in his highlights. We th that being said, no one knows if Kendall is any good. If he where then Riley would be getting prepared to win another Heisman with the guy. He’s nothing special and would likely get beat out by JG
He’s been behind two Heisman winners and pushed Murray to the max before losing the job. For all we know, he’s the third best QB in college football

Kendall to UT, please. JG's had 3 years to learn how to pre-snap read and read coverages. 4-8 and 5-7 while being #121 in total O this past season is enough. Kendall has been schooled in quick read, high octane offense by one of the best. Chaney could refine and we would be good until Bailey arrives.
At this rate he may get 6-6 next season!

Reactions: Vols4us
I'd prefer not to take any transfer but if we did kendall would be the better choice.

I think I read he’s a two year guy...like Kennedy...if so I think he’s a definite take if he wants in...if he’s a one year guy then I’m not so sure it’s worth losing the spot

Lol do we really want a guy that is running from an incoming freshman? JG will be fine under Chaney. First time JG is being coached by an experience OC. You saw the steps he took with finally having a real QB coach. Now he gets a real play caller.

Lol do we really want a guy that is running from an incoming freshman? JG will be fine under Chaney. First time JG is being coached by an experience OC. You saw the steps he took with finally having a real QB coach. Now he gets a real play caller.

In my mind it’s more about quality depth and competition than it is about Guarantano...I think either has the chance to be really good under Chaney (assuming the OL gets fixed) but both will ultimately be better by competing against each other day in and day out

In my mind it’s more about quality depth and competition than it is about Guarantano...I think either has the chance to be really good under Chaney (assuming the OL gets fixed) but both will ultimately be better by competing against each other day in and day out

Depth is fine but he isn't transferring to be depth. I just don't know why people are acting like he is an upgrade

At this point you're never gonna have more than 3 anyway. And yes he's a 2 year guy who fits the system pretty well so I wouldn't mind it. But I'm not really for it either.

This is what a lot of people are ignoring. He did make a lot of improvements this season but the playcalling wasn't as good as it should be with Chaney.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I hope not. I want to see him play a few games first, especially the way people have spoken about his arm talent.
Me too but in the current environment if you take a transfer, you lose one. Everyone assumes it would be jg, but he seems pretty loyal to me so the next most logical would be shrout. Would you take kendall or hurts if that meant shrout left? Or a situation like Texas where they signed 2 highly ranked QBs last class and both are in the portal now after just one year. What if we lost 2 of our 3 to add a transfer. Not to mention it would likely mean we can't take one of the other highly ranked guys we're after in this class or next year's loaded class. Transfers come at a much steeper price than freshmen imo so they need to be significant improvements.

Reactions: tnhunter 10
I know he is a tough kid and all, but I have seen nothing from JG, that shows he is a good QB. Even if Chaney pulls a Crompton type transformation, Crompton went from awful to serviceable, not elite. I hope we get a transfer or Shrout / Maurer are ready to make a push to challenge to be the starter.

I know he is a tough kid and all, but I have seen nothing from JG, that shows he is a good QB. Even if Chaney pulls a Crompton type transformation, Crompton went from awful to serviceable, not elite. I hope we get a transfer or Shrout / Maurer are ready to make a push to challenge to be the starter.
So you don't think jg improved at all this season? I'm not saying he had a great year but he was a lot better than last year.

Carolina bias.

You are clueless. This kid is a helluva QB. He would start day one over JG and be an upgrade. And I wouldn’t be worried about UNC. I’d be more worried about SC and having to beat him. Kid pushed Murray period. Butch was a fool cutting him loose for JG. Can’t believe some are still agreeing with him.

Yea I remember thinking we definitely upgraded when JG got on board. But mostly because he appeared to run like a deer in his highlights. We th that being said, no one knows if Kendall is any good. If he where then Riley would be getting prepared to win another Heisman with the guy. He’s nothing special and would likely get beat out by JG

Dude you couldn’t be more wrong. This is what a prominent coach around Charlotte said on AK

““I coached against Austin for 3 years and I would take him in an absolute heartbeat. Austin is a tremendous leader and absolute student of the game. He reads defenses better than any high school quarterbackI have ever been around. There is a reason he had almost 80 D1 offers coming out of high school. Also, a very good athlete as UNC offered him a scholarship to play lacrosse. AK just happened to have got caught behind two Heisman winning QBs and wants to move closer to home to be near his family. Someone will be getting an instant impact starting QB. He’s always liked the Vols and his talent under Chaney could be Fromm-esque. SC could be an option. I’m sure his phone is lighting up as we speak.”

Reactions: 85SugarVol
But go ahead and make the same mistake twice. We wouldn’t be in this mess had Jones not f’d it up. But again, you guys are agreeing with the evaluation of a man who basically shunned Trevor Lawrence as well.

But go ahead and make the same mistake twice. We wouldn’t be in this mess had Jones not f’d it up. But again, you guys are agreeing with the evaluation of a man who basically shunned Trevor Lawrence as well.
Most people aren't saying anything negative about him. You seem more upset about this than is warranted.

You are clueless. This kid is a helluva QB. He would start day one over JG and be an upgrade. And I wouldn’t be worried about UNC. I’d be more worried about SC and having to beat him. Kid pushed Murray period. Butch was a fool cutting him loose for JG. Can’t believe some are still agreeing with him.
Sounds like an opinion. Don’t get so triggered.

Most people aren't saying anything negative about him. You seem more upset about this than is warranted.

Respect and awe are too different nouns. He might be great...nothing proven. But hey, a Charlotte area coach thinks he’s the shiznit. 😴

Reactions: Sleegro

VN Store

Back