Ht:6'0"
Wt:180 lbs
40:4.41 secs
GPA:3
ACT:23
Class:2016 (High School)

Rivals
HUDL

Tennessee offered after Sark was fired and he seems to be open despite his "commitment" to USC. I think we've got a nice shot here.

Sorry wrong forum. Can a mod move this?

"I think it is amazing," Jones told AL.com. "I feel blessed. Tennessee is a big-time school, a big-time program. They have produced a lot of superstars. I told my dad and my uncle about the offer, and they were really excited."

"Tennessee is an outstanding school, an outstanding program," Saraland coach Jeff Kelly said. "I think this offer will give Velus a tough choice to make down the road. With everything that has happened at USC, he is definitely investigating and looking into his options, and there are some really good options out there for him."

"He (Butch Jones) told me a little about the school and how excited they are about me," Jones said of the conversation. "He said they thought I could do big things there and had been looking for someone with my type of talent. I was honored."
-al.com

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Hopefully the passinggame clicks for the rest of the year and he wants in on the action.

Extreme south AL is a different world from the rest of the toothless state. Players there not automatic to the big 2. LSU & FSU lurk, but it's weird how the big 2 do not own the fanbase there.

Go get him Butch!

Extreme south AL is a different world from the rest of the toothless state. Players there not automatic to the big 2. LSU & FSU lurk, but it's weird how the big 2 do not own the fanbase there.

Go get him Butch!

In Mobile and Baldwin County you're just about as close to Baton Rouge, Starkville and Tallahassee as you are Tuscaloosa or Auburn. Bama has had solid success at St Paul's and Vigor in years past. FSU's success stemmed from Dameyune Craig's Mobile roots. I think FSU's run in those 2 counties is slowing down.

USC commit Velus Jones Jr. plans to visit Florida on November 21 for the FAU game. The Saraland (Ala.) standout says he’s still committed to the Trojans, but he’s still open to other schools. He already has an official visit set to Mississippi State the weekend of November 14.

The key reason keeping Jones Jr. committed to USC is his position coach Tee Martin. If he does not stay at USC, look for Jones Jr. to back off his pledge.

Rivals

Reactions: 1 person
Butch HAS to get tee here. Would be awesome and a HUGE upgrade

If Azzani is here after this season, I'm going to be pissed. I've said in the past he was the most underachieving coach on the staff when people were saying how great the guy was.

Reactions: 1 person
If Azzani is here after this season, I'm going to be pissed. I've said in the past he was the most underachieving coach on the staff when people were saying how great the guy was.

Yeah, but what happens if the receivers step up and look great down the stretch? Seems like it'd be much more difficult to fire your WR coach if your guys turn things around on the field..

FTR, I'm hoping we get Tee here, too. I just remember all the talk of how Azzanni is CBJ's right hand man, and if Butch thinks he's done the job to turn it around, he may stay here after all.

I am too unless something starts clicking soon

Yeah, but what happens if the receivers step up and look great down the stretch? Seems like it'd be much more difficult to fire your WR coach if your guys turn things around on the field..

FTR, I'm hoping we get Tee here, too. I just remember all the talk of how Azzanni is CBJ's right hand man, and if Butch thinks he's done the job to turn it around, he may stay here after all.

If the WRs turn it around, I think it will be because Butch has taken the reins with that unit. I don't know why everyone feels Z is Butch's right hand man, when he wasn't even the 1st choice for the job. I think Strip is Butch's right hand man.

If the WRs turn it around, I think it will be because Butch has taken the reins with that unit. I don't know why everyone feels Z is Butch's right hand man, when he wasn't even the 1st choice for the job. I think Strip is Butch's right hand man.

Z and Martinez need to step it up

I am too unless something starts clicking soon

I think Azzani is a good coach. Sometimes our game plan is different. For example we ran the ball 51 times and only passed around 20 times against Florida. I think our gameplan along with Malone and Williams and Jennings inexperience, Pig's departure, Injuries to North and Croome are major factors for our WR lack of production. I personally don't believe it has a thing to do with Azzani. I have no problems with anyone who wants Tee but to say its because Azzani is a terrible coach isn't accurate. They should say it's because Tee was once an QB here and we want him back. That is the real reason. We have gotten a five star reciever in each of the last two years. Also North was a highly recruited WR. Azzani is a great recruiter too. Keep in mind we haven't been relevant since Fulmer and have recruited surprisingly well considering our long streak of losing and not even being competitive in a lot of games the last few years. I believe our last game showed marked improvement at the WR position and I expect them to continue to improve. We already have some stud WR's but they're young.

I believe Butch didn't expect Tee would take the job. I didn't. The guy has helped us a lot recruiting wise and Norths first year showed Azzani can teach. Remember North wasn't a WR in highschool. Knowing Butch's passion and Urban Myers success it's hard for me to believe they both would hire Azzani if he wasn't a really good coach.

I believe Butch didn't expect Tee would take the job. I didn't. The guy has helped us a lot recruiting wise and Norths first year showed Azzani can teach. Remember North wasn't a WR in highschool. Knowing Butch's passion and Urban Myers success it's hard for me to believe they both would hire Azzani if he wasn't a really good coach.

Why didn't Urban hire him at OSU?

Azzani reminds me of the local Indy wrestlers that are 37 and there only clam to fame is Tom Prichard trained them . Dude is getting by on who thought him not what he knows

Azzani reminds me of the local Indy wrestlers that are 37 and there only clam to fame is Tom Prichard trained them . Dude is getting by on who thought him not what he knows

Dr. Tom. He no-showed a local convention I went to and was one of the primary reasons I wanted to go to the convention in the first place.

Anyway, Tee is a good coach. Azzani is...I'm not sure...I think Tee would be an upgrade

I am not a fan of Tee Martin, but even if Jones offered him the job wouldn't he have to convince his wife? Knoxville might be a tough sell, but then again it worked out for Lane Kiffin. For a year. 😜

“i was, you could say, stunned,” said velus jones jr., who’s ranked the nation’s no. 418 overall prospect and no. 70 wide receiver in the 247sports composite for the 2016 class. “i talked to coach jones, the head coach, the wide receiver coach (zach azzanni). I’ve been (messaging) all of them, and they just said how excited they are.

“they were just saying i’m a game-changer, and i’m what they need. They were just saying i could get some early playing time because they’re losing wide receivers and everything, and i can do good things on special teams.

“they were saying how much they need a player like me, because they’ve been searching all over.”

jones said it would be “pretty hard” for him to stick with the trojans if martin doesn’t remain a part of their staff, “because we have a good bond and everything, and i was really comfortable with him.”

“that was my main reason for going out there, because my family trusted that (martin) would take care of me,” jones said.

Reactions: 2 people
247 is really sleepin on this kid. That speed...

Crazy how this recruitment hinges on Tee Martin...of all people

Why didn't Urban hire him at OSU?

I've said this multiple times. Urban hired him for a year then bailed and didn't pick up the phone when he went to OSU. Azzani's one year was post-Tebow which no doubt had an effect but that was the worst UF offense Urban had.

VN Store

Back