'16 AL WR Velus Jones (Transfer)

Per Hubbs

A new name that popped up on that front this week was Alabama wide receiver and Southern Cal commitment Velus Jones. The Mobile-area standout remains committed to the Trojans despite the team not having a head coach but some we've talked to tell us that he is open to looking around. That could be a name to remember moving forward.

Jones told us Thursday night that he plans on taking an official visit to Tennessee after his season at some point. He already has a visit set up for Mississippi State when they play Alabama and wants to take one to Cal as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Per P Fort

One current Trojan commitment a number of coaches in the South are keeping their eye is Saraland, Ala., wide receiver Velus Jones.

That group includes Tennessee as the Vols offered the 6-foot, 180-pound earlier this week and Jones admits that was an offer that caught his attention.

Jones plans to see several schools on official visits, including the Vols.
"I think it's really big," Jones said. "I think highly of them. It's another great opportunity for me to go to a great school and have a chance to make it in the NFL and not only at wide receiver but also on special teams as well. I'm planning on taking an official visit to Tennessee."

Jones thought his conversation with Tennessee head coach Butch Jones was particularly important.

"Coach Jones called me and told me they offered me a full scholarship," Jones said. "I put in a lot of hard work to be in the situation I'm in so for the head coach to take his time and call me to tell me I have a scholarship is big."

The pitch to Jones from the Vols was a simple one and one he liked to hear.

"They told me I have a chance to play early and that they wouldn't be recruiting me if I didn't have a chance to play early," Jones explained. "They are losing a lot of senior at the wide receiver position and they talked about how much they liked me on special teams because I'm a game-changer. They said they watched a lot of other players' film and I stood out to them because I don't just play wide receiver but I do kickoff return and punt return as well.

As for his commitment level to Southern Cal, Jones plans on taking official visits to Mississippi State, Cal-Berkley and Tennessee and isn't sure what the future holds between himself and USC.

"I still talk to Tee Martin and everything and he told me it's a little crazy out there right now," Jones said of the situation in Los Angeles. "Coach Martin said he doesn't know what will happen until they find out who the coach is after the season."

With a new outlook on his recruitment, Jones said he's looking for an opportunity to play early while having the right fit with the coaching staff.

"Playing time is really important. I want to go somewhere where I can get on the field even if it's special teams or punt return, whatever," Jones said. "I'm just looking for a school I can be comfortable at. Everyone can give me advice but I'm the one that's got to spend three, four or five years at a school."

Reactions: 3 people
I am not a fan of Tee Martin, but even if Jones offered him the job wouldn't he have to convince his wife? Knoxville might be a tough sell, but then again it worked out for Lane Kiffin. For a year. 😜

I don't know why Tee's wife is so sold on being in LA her singing career was over about 14 years ago.

Reactions: 1 person
If Azzani is here after this season, I'm going to be pissed. I've said in the past he was the most underachieving coach on the staff when people were saying how great the guy was.

I see azzani doing what bajakian did. Finding another job on his own. He has aspirations to be something bigger than a position coach. He has the work ethic for somebody to give him a shot.

Just speculation on my part, but I do think the opportunity for Tee to come home will be here.

Sources close to his recruitment have indicated that there’s a good chance he won’t end up signing with USC, and Tennessee is one of the teams he’s now strongly considering. The Vols extended an offer to him less than two weeks ago, and he quickly has moved toward the top of their receiver board.

Reactions: 3 people
Sources close to his recruitment have indicated that there’s a good chance he won’t end up signing with USC, and Tennessee is one of the teams he’s now strongly considering. The Vols extended an offer to him less than two weeks ago, and he quickly has moved toward the top of their receiver board.

His film is spectacular. IMO he would be a great consolation prize if we don't land Mecole Hardman. Hell I want him even if we land Hardman. Similar talent. His speed and punt return ability look special.

His speed would be a welcome addition.

If mecole doesn't come here this guy is definitely a want kid can frickin run but if we can get both 😱😱

Per Hubbs

Finally, speaking of versatile offensive weapons, Tennessee continues to make Alabama wide receiver Velus Jones a top priority. The speedy wideout has been talking to Tennessee a good amount from what we understand as his commitment to Southern Cal seems soft at best at this time.

One team to keep an eye out for when it comes to Jones is Alabama. Tide wide receiver coach Billy Napier is expected at his game this Friday night and depending on his performance an offer could soon follow.

Reactions: 4 people
140207_2721848_Velvet_Jones_School_of_Technology_anvver_3.jpg

I know I'm not the only one....

Reactions: 11 people
Tennessee offered Jones shortly after Southern California relieved Steve Sarkisian of his coaching responsibilities earlier in the season. This almost certainly means his position coach at USC (Tee Martin) is looking for work. Though still “officially committed” to Southern California, Jones is already scheduling visits to other schools. When you watch Jones’ film, it is hard to imagine why Tennessee hasn’t been involved with this Alabama speedster earlier. Jones has interest in Tennessee catapults him to the top of the wide receiver board along with Georgia products Mecole Hardeman and Kyle Davis (both still uncommitted). I would expect Tennessee to receive one of Jones’ official visits. Right now, Tennessee has momentum with Jones.

Basilio X

Reactions: 5 people
Tennessee offered Jones shortly after Southern California relieved Steve Sarkisian of his coaching responsibilities earlier in the season. This almost certainly means his position coach at USC (Tee Martin) is looking for work. Though still “officially committed” to Southern California, Jones is already scheduling visits to other schools. When you watch Jones’ film, it is hard to imagine why Tennessee hasn’t been involved with this Alabama speedster earlier. Jones has interest in Tennessee catapults him to the top of the wide receiver board along with Georgia products Mecole Hardeman and Kyle Davis (both still uncommitted). I would expect Tennessee to receive one of Jones’ official visits. Right now, Tennessee has momentum with Jones.

Basilio X

X... lol.

VN Store

Back