'15 TN DE Dylan Jackson (former UT commit)

Some really good instate linemen on both sides of the ball next year. Jackson and Phillips look like 2 really good DEs

"Coach (George) Quarles texted Dad (John) and said 'Give Coach Jake (UT offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian) a call. Coach Jake handed the phone to Coach Jones and Coach Jones said they were extending a Tennessee offer," said the 6-foot-5.5-inch Jackson. "I was speechless when I got it. I wasn't expecting it, but it's a great feeling getting it."

"I went out there and met some other recruits and commits and got to know them, and I had fun playing games all day," said Jackson, who also excels in the classroom. "I actually know a lot of the guys from camps and stuff. Brandt Mitchell, Zach Stewart, Jack Jones and Andrew Butcher. I felt I really bonded with them and got to know them well."

"Right now, after (the weekend), I'm just really focused on getting into the season. I'm sure I'll go to a couple games, but really I'm ready to just get to the season and start winning some games and hopefully get back to the state championship," Jackson said.

"Coach Quarles talked about the pressure that would come from the UT offer. He told me to take my time, do what's best for you and you can make your decision whenever you feel like it," Jackson recounted. "I just want to go out and win one game at a time and make it back to state. Those are my real goals right now."

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
"It means a lot," Jackson told InsideTennessee. "I think it's great because we've lived here the last couple years and adopted the tradition a little bit. So, it's nice getting this offer living in the backyard."

"That's a huge factor," Jackson said. "I mean I can go home whenever I want to —*not really —*go home, visit the family, having friends and family come watch me play games. That'd be awesome."

-scout

Reactions: 3 people
"It means a lot," Jackson told InsideTennessee. "I think it's great because we've lived here the last couple years and adopted the tradition a little bit. So, it's nice getting this offer living in the backyard."

"That's a huge factor," Jackson said. "I mean I can go home whenever I want to —*not really —*go home, visit the family, having friends and family come watch me play games. That'd be awesome."

-scout

Hope the kid decides to wear Orange. With Butcher already in the class, I suspect we only take 1 more DE.

"He's not a lock to Tennessee. He's certainly been very impressed by Jones and the staff and has been hoping this offer would come. But, Vandy is a factor as is Clemson.

He's not from East Tennessee and only recently moved here from the Midwest. But, he does like Tennessee and he's on campus this weekend for what is like his fourth visit or something."

-Fortenberry

P-fort don't even care. :eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
Being from Maryville and having played for them (3 rings) it would be amazing if we get Mr. Jackson. You will not find a more disciplined team then Maryville. Quarles and his assts coach each player with with the upmost importance being placed on character and perfecting mechanics. A yr or 2 in a college weight room and having full time nutritional guides will do wonders for this young man. Godspeed on your decision Dylan.

*my first post on VN ever*

I interviewed Dylan for an internship of mine (UT student) and I asked him if he knew where he wanted to play in college.

"I don't know right now but I do know that staying close to home is most important."

Maybe he's hinting at something? Who knows. Probably not. I'm a nobody. But I thought that was worth noting. I'm from Nashville and the 3-hour drive really sucks. On second thought, I probably should have told him that.

Reactions: 7 people
*my first post on VN ever*

I interviewed Dylan for an internship of mine (UT student) and I asked him if he knew where he wanted to play in college.

"I don't know right now but I do know that staying close to home is most important."

Maybe he's hinting at something? Who knows. Probably not. I'm a nobody. But I thought that was worth noting. I'm from Nashville and the 3-hour drive really sucks. On second thought, I probably should have told him that.

Thanks for the info and welcome to the board. Good luck on your internship and I have you your first like as well :). I do believe Jackson will be a vol sooner rather than later.

Jackson, the 6-foot-6, 240-pound Maryville High School defensive end was at times during his football childhood coached by former Vol Todd Kelly. He's stayed in contact with TK Jr., who he'll face Friday night, when Webb School travels to Maryville.

"I know him pretty well," Jackson told VolQuest on Wednesday. "I've worked out with him a couple times. We know each other fairly well."

Kelly has been pivotal in the self-recruitment of Tennessee's 2014 "legacy class." Now that's reaching Jackson, who said he's often contacted by Tennessee 2015 commitments Zach Stewart, an offensive linemen from Coalfield, and Alpharetta, Ga. defensive end Andrew Butcher.

"Most of the guys in our class, the 2015 class, are recruiting me," Jackson said. The message? "It's your home, we're trying to build something, you live here," Jackson said. "It's in your backyard, family gets to come out and watch, your friends."

Jackson, who will start his junior season Friday, has offers from Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Duke. He said he's received letters from Cincinnati, Indiana and UCLA as of late.

-VQ

Also he got a UT prediction on the crystal ball by JC Shurburtt (director of recruiting at 247sports) on 8/10 and was rated an 85 by 247sports on 8/17.

This is really becoming fun...knowing that we are in on serious talent these days and have a real shot at landing it.

With the numbers, our 2015 class might be half full by the 2014 signing day.

Quarles stated on the radio yesterday that the first thing that comes to mind about Dylan outside of being explosive, gets there quickly when he decides to go, is his tackling. Said he was just a sure tackler. Great attribute to have.

SKILL ASSESSMENT: Jackson is a tall, lean defensive end with a ton of room to fill out and that makes him a very intriguing prospect. Some see his as a strongside defensive end while others see him growing into an offensive tackle. Either way, through his first two games of his junior season he's been nearly unblockable off the edge for Maryville.

STATUS WITH VOLS: Jackson has been on Tennessee's campus numerous times throughout the spring, summer and now fall, including this weekend as Jackson visited for Tennessee's game against Austin Peay. Tennessee has positioned themselves well early on for the local defensive lineman.

OTHERS INVOLVED: Vanderbilt, Duke, Clemson, Ole Miss

-VQ

Would be a travesty to lose this kid. I'm not sure about OT, I guess I could possibly see it. Would have to bulk up a fair amount. But seeing him up close, I could easily see this kid being a damn good SDE at about 270lbs.

I would like to land him or Phillips to go with Butcher. I think Jackson is probably more likely of the two.

VN Store

Back