'15 TN DE Dylan Jackson (former UT commit)

DYLAN JACKSON, DE (6-6, 230) Maryville HS, Maryville, Tenn. - Jackson has the physique of a basketball player, so he's a bit on the thin side right now. But he'll only be a junior next fall, which leaves him plenty of time to grow and add strength. The height and quickness to become a stellar college rush end is there, though.

BY THE NUMBERS: Jackson made 40 tackles and 2.5 sacks as a sophomore last season.
WHO'S IN PURSUIT: It's a matter of time before the offers start coming for Jackson, but so far it's been only interest from Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, LSU, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. He's open to all comers at this stage.
-rivals

Reactions: 1 person
Will camp at UT on June 14th. He has visited Tennessee several times recently. An offer could add 1 more to the 2015 class. He did just get an offer from vandy.

i watched his tape. he was only a sophomore and i know he will gain some weight and he has a lot of time to get better before his NSD. but as of right now, in the tape, it looks like he has a lot of trouble getting off the block. it seemed the only time he was in the backfield was when he went unblocked or after several seconds. he rarely beat the O-Lineman. now i do believe he will be a good prospect going into his senior season. this is just my IMO

Maryville defensive coordinator Jimmy Gaylor assessed Jackson to be a “very active” and disruptive presence to an opponent’s short passing game and looks forward to seeing Jackson expand his skills into an even more dominant presence at end.

“The first thing that stands out is — just look at him, how big and strong-looking he is. He’s very athletic,” said Gaylor. “He only played about half a year pretty much. He was a part-time starter last year and contributed a lot for us as a sophomore."

Maryville defensive end Dylan Jackson receives scholarship offer from Vanderbilt » Knoxville News Sentinel

Now more offers, in addition to that initial verbal from Vanderbilt after Jackson's strong showing at the Commodores' camp, could be forthcoming. Jackson got an invite to the prestigious Rivals 250 Underclassmen Challenge near Dallas, Texas, and he'll also camp in mid-July at Ole Miss, which has been showing increasing interest in the 6-foot-5.5 inch, 231-pound defensive end.

The Maryville High School standout Jackson has steadily heard from Clemson, Duke, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and made several trips this spring to Rocky Top to spend more time with the staff of first-year Volunteers coach Butch Jones.

"I went to Vanderbilt first and the following day I got my offer, June 3. Two weeks later went to Clemson to a three-day camp and then went to Tennessee (June 17)," said Jackson, who's boosted his squat to an impressive 425 pounds and logged extensive speed training. "I went back to Tennessee the next week and hung out with Coach Strip (defensive line coach Steve Stripling) a little bit."

Jackson, who said the early offer and additional attention from several major programs serves only as additional motivation to work harder, praised the interaction with Stripling.

"I love Coach Strip. It was me, him and (defensive graduate assistant) Larry Knight," Jackson said. "I helped him put together a video, picking plays and drills out and putting them all together.

"I love watching film. I like to know what kind of player I'm going up against. We study a lot of film at Maryville, and it's great having the tools to study film and all that."
-Rivals.com.

Vols offered per Fortenberry

Damn- I was really hoping there was a possibility of committing soon. I hope UT offers him so we can see what he really thinks.

- Vandy poster on 247

We will see what he thinks. He really likes Vanderbilt, and he's been to their campus multiple times over the past couple of months. Then again, it's not far from home, and it's his only offer. The Vandy coaches, however, apparently stay in constant contact with Jackson.

“I like Vanderbilt a lot,” he said. “They are my only offer so far but they are also my very first offer. It does mean a lot to me to know the Vanderbilt coaches feel so strongly about me. They stay in contact all the time and constantly make me feel wanted. I have been to campus a good bit and I am sure I will be back for a game sometime this fall, Jackson said.”

Great offer! Dylan is a fantastic prospect. I love his potential and upside. A big guy who can move and is athletic. Reminds me of Cam Clear at this stage. Very smooth and fluid body movement.

-Buck Fitzgerald on VQ

He's going to be a very tough pull even though he lives in Maryville now.

Really? This will be his 5th time on campus since March. He lives in Maryville, and even though he's not originally from the area you have to figure he's going to get a ton of encouragement to attend UT. And when Butch starts winning it's going to be an even stronger pull.

I'm no expert but I'd be willing to say that we should be viewed as the frontrunner now that we've offered.

Really? This will be his 5th time on campus since March. He lives in Maryville, and even though he's not originally from the area you have to figure he's going to get a ton of encouragement to attend UT. And when Butch starts winning it's going to be an even stronger pull.

I'm no expert but I'd be willing to say that we should be viewed as the frontrunner now that we've offered.

Interesting take...DylanVol

:wink:

"He's not a lock to Tennessee. He's certainly been very impressed by Jones and the staff and has been hoping this offer would come. But, Vandy is a factor as is Clemson.

He's not from East Tennessee and only recently moved here from the Midwest. But, he does like Tennessee and he's on campus this weekend for what is like his fourth visit or something."

-Fortenberry

Yes, I'm not saying they dont have a good shot at him, just that he'll be a tougher pull that your typical Knoxville area kid when he picks up a TN offer.

“i mean, obviously, i’ve got to keep my options. But it’s great getting the offer. It takes a lot of pressure off,” he said.

“i’m just ready to play some football. I’m focused on this season and getting back to the state championship with our team and winning some football games.”

it’s still relatively early in the recruiting process for jackson, who said clemson also is “looking at me a little bit.” but he said tennessee and vanderbilt are “fairly equal” in his mind right now, and he likes a number of things about both teams.

“i like both of the coaching staffs,” jackson said. “i know guys that play on each team, and they both said they love the coaches. ... I love both of the coaching staffs. They both bring a little electricity to them that i love seeing — intensity. All the players work hard. Great cities for each of them.

“actually, i like tennessee because i live around here, but vanderbilt’s just got a great city under them, and it’s awesome.”

Forgot to add this, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned. Jackson is originally from Lake Forest, IL, which is about 30 minutes NW of Chicago. He grew up with the "suburbs of the big city" feel. That may have something to do with his liking for Nashville. Brentwood is comparable to Lake Forest, as Lake Forest is a pretty nice suburb of Chicago (for those of you who have been there).

Forgot to add this, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned. Jackson is originally from Lake Forest, IL, which is about 30 minutes NW of Chicago. He grew up with the "suburbs of the big city" feel. That may have something to do with his liking for Nashville. Brentwood is comparable to Lake Forest, as Lake Forest is a pretty nice suburb of Chicago (for those of you who have been there).

Lake Forrest is very nice...almost half way between Chicago and Milwaukee

VN Store

Back