'15 TN DE Dylan Jackson (former UT commit)

From Jackson's HS coach:

“He runs really well,” Quarles said. “He’s in the 4.8s (in the 40-yard dash), and for 6-6 and 240, that moves pretty good. He’s going to get better. I mean, he continues to get better. It gets more natural to him, learning how to bend better and play with better leverage. I think he projects great. ... He’s going to continue to get better.

“He doesn’t like hearing that he could be an offensive lineman, but I can see that happening. Defensively, I think he’s really aggressive, pursues well. He needs to get better at pass rush and getting lower and swim (moves) and all that stuff, but he’s still young. He’s just a junior, thank goodness.”

“I’ve watched a couple of (Vanderbilt’s) games on TV, and they’re playing hard. They’re playing really good times and they’re fighting. I like it,” he said.

“(Tennessee’s) intensity is awesome. They’re playing really hard, just like Vanderbilt. The coaching staff, I love watching them. I feel like they’re doing really well. They’re obviously playing really tough teams. They’ve had a couple of hard games recently. They’re fighting hard. ...

“They’re flying to the ball (on defense). They’re rallying to the ball. Everyone’s there to make the tackle, and I like seeing that. That’s how we like to play here (at Maryville).”

“I talk to Coach Strip’ every Wednesday night and Coach Jake whenever he wants to talk,” Jackson said. “We’re really just talking, catching up and seeing how everything’s going.

“It’s kind of hard not to embrace the feelings (about Tennessee) around here.”

Reactions: 3 people
"I thought it was awesome. Obviously the crowd was unbelievable," Jackson said. "I've never been a part of something that big, with people all screaming like that. All the recruits and commits were just cool to each other. I talked to the 2015 guys a lot, we hung out and I got to know them better."

"Some of the coaches I spent time with were Coach Jake and Coach Strip," Jackson said. "We were just talking about how our families are doing and my football season. I really liked that, talking about more than just football."

"It just shows that they've got that fight in them, and I like to see that. They didn't go down when they were faced with adversity and down 17-3. I liked seeing them fight back. That was good."

On the family atmosphere with the other UT recruits:

"I can totally see that. They were all laughing, having a good time when we were all sitting in there at the pre-game and halftime meals," Jackson said. "It was awesome seeing the camaraderie there."

-John Brice

Reactions: 2 people
Maryville HS is my alma mater (class of '92)...for all of their success the last 15 years the few major college prospects they have had (most notably Carl Stewart Auburn but also Nick Black Clemson) always end up somewhere else. This would have held true with Aaron Douglas as well. I would love to see this kid change that but Tennessee has such a bad history with Blount County athletes in general (Alcoa too) that I always cringe when I see they are recruiting one...Like when Stewart explained that he didn't want to go to Tennessee because they had a such a full stable of backs (Houston, Davis, Riggs) but then went to Auburn who had Cadillac, Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs. I can't fathom growing up in that redneck town and not wanting to go to UT but for whatever reason that seems to usually be the case.

Is he a definite take in your guys opinion? With Butcher in the fold already and them seemingly in great shape with Phillips and even Roseboro early on....

Is he a definite take in your guys opinion? With Butcher in the fold already and them seemingly in great shape with Phillips and even Roseboro early on....

It will be tough to decide which way to go IMO. With the kid proving to be a quality talent in UT's backyard, it will be hard to pass on him. DE is one position I think will be full very early for the 2015 class. OL is another position I think will be full early.

Will get offered greyshirt or preferred walk-on IMO, if we land our top targets.

Will get offered greyshirt or preferred walk-on IMO, if we land our top targets.

wtf.gif.pagespeed.ce.mUMGybTMwG.gif

Reactions: 1 person

I personally don't think so. Next years class will be much smaller than this one and the margin for taking projects is smaller. However tbh I haven't watched a ton of film on this guy like I have Butcher

I personally don't think so. Next years class will be much smaller than this one and the margin for taking projects is smaller. However tbh I haven't watched a ton of film on this guy like I have Butcher

I'm with you guys. I really dont see himn being at take at this point either unless guys like Phillips, Roseboro, etc.. make early decisions to go elsewhere.

Walk on? Project?

Take or not, he's neither of those.

+1. There is certainly debate about whether or not he would be a take right now with our short numbers next class. But he is nowhere close to the level of walk-on candidate. He will have a bevy of major D1 offers to accept.

Kid has taken about a dozen UOV's to UT over the last year. Holds a UT offer. IMO the staff would take him right now. I see this recruitment as one where the staff can tell him they need a very early commitment from him or his spot is up in the air.

IF we can take (3) DE's-

Butcher
Jackson
1ST one to commit between Phillips & Roseboro.

You don't offer a local kid this early unless he's a definite take. Bad pub, IMO.

Not a chance we turn down Phillips even with Butcher/Roseboro/Jackson on board, and it seems unlikely with Roseboro in the same scenario.

Last edited:
"I think he can be an excellent OT at the next level and make himself a lot of money. Really smooth athlete with very good body control. Reminds me of Cam Clear at this stage."

-corner36

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back