'14 TN DE Jashon Robertson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

on what do you base this opinion, especially since one of them is a true freshman?

Robertson played OG at MBA. So you can watch his film and see the man busts heads in the run game. Jackson has been known to excel in run. Kerbyson was to be OG for a reason but now he is OT.

He did ok. Robertson seemed to end up on the ground quite a bit last night. Just a learning tool from him. He'll get it.

He did ok. Robertson seemed to end up on the ground quite a bit last night. Just a learning tool from him. He'll get it.

Ya, I saw that too. He seemed to do as well or maybe better than Jackson though. that left side collapsed much more often than the right side.

Ya, I saw that too. He seemed to do as well or maybe better than Jackson though. that left side collapsed much more often than the right side.

Agree. Jackson looks worse than I expected. He got blown up a few plays. I hope that it is just some rust from not seeing game action for over a year and a half.

Reactions: 1 person
One last thing… If this team can improve upon last night's performance, I don't see any problems with getting to our mark of at least six wins this year, barring no serious injuries to key players.

I thought Kerbyson was our least effective. He had the back-to-back false starts once, gave up a sack, and allowed some pressure. He looked pissed off at one point, and I read his body language thinking he wasn't pleased with his performance. I guess the good news is he had passion.

Crowder did good considering we ran up the middle a bunch. I wanted to see 3 or 4 more sweeps myself. All the runs up the gut says something about how the coaches feel about Mack. The one holding call was iffy. The guy was kinda falling down already, however, from the refs angle, I see why he made the call. If penalties were reviewable, then maybe they take that one back.

Gilliam played well

I didn't like the last 5 minutes of the game. I know we just had to run the clock out. But think about it, we practice up tempo. I think the coaches did our backup O-line a disservice. Every play was a run, and the defense knew it, and we ran the clock down every play. If the coaches want to develop these young guys, then they shouldn't have done that. Again, I know its the unwritten rule of the game to just run the clock out, but it probably had a negative effective on our backup O-line.

I thought Kerbyson was our least effective. He had the back-to-back false starts once, gave up a sack, and allowed some pressure. He looked pissed off at one point, and I read his body language thinking he wasn't pleased with his performance. I guess the good news is he had passion.

Crowder did good considering we ran up the middle a bunch. I wanted to see 3 or 4 more sweeps myself. All the runs up the gut says something about how the coaches feel about Mack. The one holding call was iffy. The guy was kinda falling down already, however, from the refs angle, I see why he made the call. If penalties were reviewable, then maybe they take that one back.

Gilliam played well

I didn't like the last 5 minutes of the game. I know we just had to run the clock out. But think about it, we practice up tempo. I think the coaches did our backup O-line a disservice. Every play was a run, and the defense knew it, and we ran the clock down every play. If the coaches want to develop these young guys, then they shouldn't have done that. Again, I know its the unwritten rule of the game to just run the clock out, but it probably had a negative effective on our backup O-line.

Agreed. IMO we should just run our offense as normal and then just take a knee if we get in the red zone. More relevant practice for us and still not running up the score.

Gilliam played well

Ya I despise putting in the 2nd team and just handing it off every time. 0 benefit to anyone. How often do you get live practice for your backups where nothing that happens will effect the outcome of the game?

Robertson must have played really well because I never noticed him and that is a good thing for a O-lineman.

Robertson must have played really well because I never noticed him and that is a good thing for a O-lineman.

None of our OL played "really well".... We averaged less than 3 ypc. Worley was sacked twice. One of those was on the TE though. However, he faced constant pressure all night.

I wanna see how those starting 5 grade out in film study.

Gilliam played well

Wonder if 55 gets some 1st team reps at right tackle this week. And hope Gilliam is healthy because I don't know about Kerbyson on the blind side.

None of our OL played "really well".... We averaged less than 3 ypc. Worley was sacked twice. One of those was on the TE though. However, he faced constant pressure all night.

I wanna see how those starting 5 grade out in film study.

Pass pro was ok, but there were maybe four running plays with any kind of hole for the RB.

Pass pro was ok, but there were maybe four running plays with any kind of hole for the RB.

I had guy beside of me saying "Man, Hurd sucks... What's wrong with him?" "This Hurd kid just ain't got it tonight"

All I could do was smh...

I hope the USU front 7 proves to be really good. O-Line was my biggest concern heading in tho

The USU fans were hyping up their front seven, saying it was one of the deepest groups they have ever had. I am guessing they will he better than ASU, Chatt, Vandy, and maybe even UK.

The second false start on Kerbyson was tough because two DL flinched and acted as they were coming. He responded to it and actually talked to the official. You aren't going to get that call much so have to be disciplined.

Apparently USU has a history of being stout against the run, even against P5 schools. I'm expecting our running game to look better and better as the year goes on barring injuries.

I was impressed with the defense in general. Seemed very well coached. They were frequently disguising coverages and blitzes until right before the snap. Also every time we lined up to do a check with me, they would audible to a new defense while our coaches were signaling in a play. They were smart and disciplined.

VN Store

Back