'14 GA LB Kevin Mouhon (Former UT commit 7/21)

The only way to describe the recruiting season is fluid,it is not set in stone until the letter is signed,faxed and received,hang on and enjoy the ride!
:D

I guess going against the coaches' wishes will have you looking for other opportunities. This is the tough part about recruiting.

We were all showing this kid love when he was committed stay classy even when he's not here anymore. These recruits are kids. We aren't in on all the discussion with the coaches and the recruits so if the decision was mutual between the two parties then the young man and the coaches have to do what is best for both sides. The young man isn't bad mouthing UT so we should do the same and stay classy. Most of the fans are adults and should act like it.

Reactions: 5 people
You-Stay-Classy-San-Diego-Anchorman.gif

Reactions: 1 person
I'm really bummed about this one. Mouhon was one of my favorites of this class and a guy that I considered in the running to contribute on day one.

Oh well... just part of the recruiting game. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

we veterans, don't get upset either way. the longer you follow it the more you understand both are just part of the process.

Bobby Johnson had great character.

IMO Fulmer had great character. He told me you have to tell recruits what they want to hear. He was really good at determining that and it helped him for a lot of years. not so much later on..

Consider my mind boggled that LWS even has to write this. How does everyone not immediately understand that recruiting = sales.

Let's see what sounds better coming from Butch to a 17 year old kid who has been treated like a god for his entire teenage life:

1) Hey Kevin, your tape looks incredible. We had 5 coaches in the room and we were all going nuts seeing how explosive you are. You are a badass and we see why everyone loves you.

Watching you play is like watching LeBron school a bunch of 5th graders - it's not even fair. You are at the top of our linebacker list. We want you - we need you. Our team wins more games with you, without a doubt. You can come in NOW and compete for playing time. We think in 3 years you could be known as the savior of Tennessee Football. Brick by brick my broseph.

2) Hey Kevin, your tape looks moderately impressive. We know some people in your area and we think they may give us an inside track to get you to commit. Let's be honest though, if we're really recruiting like badasses in 5 months, we're going to drop you like a bad habit.

Don't worry though!! You will very likely still get a great offer from a different college if this happens. That being said, we'd like you to commit as early as possible to show some momentum and not enjoy visiting other schools from here on out. Brick by Brick?

Meh. Kids aren't stupid. If they go to camps and do their homework on other prospects, they know or should know about where they stand. My middle school kid knows a snow job when he hears it.

I liked this kid because I thought he would wind up at DE, not because he was the 6th linebacker on our board. Maybe the tough discussion was about position at the next level. Good luck to him.

Telling them what they want to hear is "You'll get every opportunity early to get a shot at linebacker."

Last edited:
message board speculations. 6 weeks ago everyone was speculating we were going to get to 36 or 37.

the hard number has always been 30. that is all that we can enroll with this class on scholarship. more than that is not arriving until January 2015

Doug Matthews has said on the radio 32 with a grayshirt or 2 and a blueshirt. So that isn't just internet speculation. I'm not saying you're wrong LWS, but I KNOW who Doug Matthews is. I believe you have good information, just not sure where it comes from. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. For the record I hope you are wrong and he is right :)

Larry knows more about whats going on than all of us stacked together in a neat little pile. The few dolts that think they know more are clowns...respectfully of course.

Don't know who this random blurt is referencing, but I think we all know how connected Larry is. I personally was questioning Barnett being in Mizzou this week because Hubbs, P Fort, & Callahan all had Derek scheduled to be in Knoxville this weekend. It's not a reflection on Larry's knowledge. And he admittedly said he was tired and that was probably the case.

The worst part about this is that I now have to edit my NCAA '14 roster to reflect this change. He was starting at MLB as a Jr. :(

Good Luck to the young man. Hope he is successful wherever he goes. Of course, not so successful if he plays against the Vols.

GO VOLS!!
Rangers Lead The Way!!!

The NFL scouts think AJ Johnson is one of the top 2-3 ILB in the 2015 draft but he's just to non physical and slow for Tennessee. I'm really surprised John Propst didn't start over him. Granted AJ is not fast but thats why he is playing MLB. AJ was always chasing because the DE's were awful at containment.

I don't give 2 ****'s what NFL scouts say. I know what I have seen for 3 full years. AJ is a grabber not a hitter. He sucks in coverage and sucks getting off blocks. Only a blind man would see it different.

VN Store

Back