'13 FL ATH Lemond Johnson (UT Commit 12/16/12)

I would not be quick to say Dooley did it without the "thuggery". Did we not lose several kids to drug tests? Drinking charges, bar fights, fleeing police, assult on police, Laptop thefts, cell phone thefts, and DD made huge attempts to cover stuff up(see Da'Rick). God knows how much stuff actually was taking place during DD's time here.
Dooley's kids were much better behaved and of higher character than those that Kiffin and Fulmer recruited. All you have to do is check out the police blotters of those coaches players and compare. The award for thuggery is called the Fulmer Cup for a reason.

I don't understand how people can't grasp this. Not saying he was the best recruiter ever, but it seems pretty clear that he was a far better recruiter than coach.

I would need to see more before I would rate DD a good recruiter. I tend to think just about ANYONE can recruit in the middle of the pack in the SEC at UT. Tennessee does recruit itself pretty well. it's hard to say DD did a good job recruiting as his recruits have led us to 3 losing seasons and maybe the worse defense in UT history. We'll see how these same kids do with CBJ and staff coaching them.

Reactions: 1 person
I would need to see more before I would rate DD a good recruiter. I tend to think just about ANYONE can recruit in the middle of the pack in the SEC at UT. Tennessee does recruit itself pretty well. it's hard to say DD did a good job recruiting as his recruits have led us to 3 losing seasons and maybe the worse defense in UT history. We'll see how these same kids do with CBJ and staff coaching them.
Finally, someone who gets it.

I think we can rate Dooley as an average or slightly above average recruiter, but a poor coach IMO. His players underachieved due to poor coaching, which is a shame.

One of the dumbest statements on here, yet we still lack talent to keep up with everyone else... the proof is on the field, Dooley can't recruit.

Dude. Talent accomplishes nothing without proper direction. We had the talent to compete with anyone. Look at Wilcox's 2011 D versus Sunseri's 2012 D with almost the exact same players....you think recruiting caused that? Get a grip.

Dude. Talent accomplishes nothing without proper direction. We had the talent to compete with anyone. Look at Wilcox's 2011 D versus Sunseri's 2012 D with almost the exact same players....you think recruiting caused that? Get a grip.

Haha get a grip, ok. We have the talent to win 9 games huh? All we needed was a new scheme. I think you'll be very disappointed this season.

I agree Sal was GARBAGE.

but Losing Malik Jackson and not replacing him with even a quarter of his production was a tremendous loss not to be just glossed over.

Im hoping Lemond can help out and contribute some quality depth

Haha get a grip, ok. We have the talent to win 9 games huh? All we needed was a new scheme. I think you'll be very disappointed this season.

Losing our big offensive three changes the dynamic of next year entirely. But at least our defense can only get better lol

gonnahate.gif

Man Flynt Flossy can dance!!

Keep throwing words in my mouth, I have never said that. I'm saying that talent has more to do with it than you guys want to believe.

I agree but Dooley had more talent then Missouri, Miss st., and vandy and got beat by all of them because he got out coached, he made bad in game decisions and showed no player development. I will agree with you that the only reason why we looked as good as we did at times was because of guys like AJ, Bray, Hunter, CP, Tiny, James ,Fulton ,Thoms, Stone not because of what Dooley did so it does go both ways. My point is that if we had a half a$$ decent coach with the talent we had we would have won eight games. Not to mention if Dooley had just promoted Lance we would have been better off but that was another one of Dooley's bad decisions that hurt us.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree but Dooley had more talent then Missouri, Miss st., and vandy and got beat by all of them because he got out coached, he made bad in game decisions and showed no player development. I will agree with you that the only reason why we looked as good as we did at times was because of guys like AJ, Bray, Hunter, CP, Tiny, James ,Fulton ,Thoms, Stone not because of what Dooley did so it does go both ways. My point is that if we had a half a$$ decent coach with the talent we had we would have won eight games. Not to mention if Dooley had just promoted Lance we would have been better off but that was another one of Dooley's bad decisions that hurt us.

I saw some speculation that Hart foisted Sal on Dooley. Was that just a ridiculous rumor or did anyone like LWS ever say whether there was any truth to it?

I tend to think it's false since our defensive recruiting looked like we were transitioning to the 3-4.

We absolutely had the talent to win 9 games. If you think otherwise, well......there's no point in trying to have an intelligent discussion about this anymore.

Reactions: 2 people
We absolutely had the talent to win 9 games. If you think otherwise, well......there's no point in trying to have an intelligent discussion about this anymore.

The statistics don't lie. We have the same defensive scheme we did last year with the same coaches, we win 8 games, maybe 9. It was poor coaching. Wilcox leaving really destroyed us. I was excited to see how he does with some talent and maturity on the defensive side of the ball.

The statistics don't lie. We have the same defensive scheme we did last year with the same coaches, we win 8 games, maybe 9. It was poor coaching. Wilcox leaving really destroyed us. I was excited to see how he does with some talent and maturity on the defensive side of the ball.

Exactly.

I didn't say had i'm talking present tense. You're saying Dooley was a good recruiter and brought in players talented enough to win 9+ games playing in the SEC, the reason we didn't was because of coaching. So by your logic, a change of scheme will allow us to win 9+ games because the talent is already there. It will be close to a miracle if we win 7 next year. We aren't a very talented team right now compared to UGA, FL, Bama, SCar, probably Auburn, basically everyone that matters. 1 reason we aren't as talented is because DOOLEY COULDN'T RECRUIT.

except we lost our best Defensive Lineman and our best CB ...

One D lineman and a DECENT corner does not take your defense from 33rd in the country to the worst defense in the history of Tennessee football. Especially when the core of that defense is entering their sophomore and junior years. However, a change of coaching scheme and a very poor job of that does.

I didn't say had i'm talking present tense. You're saying Dooley was a good recruiter and brought in players talented enough to win 9+ games playing in the SEC, the reason we didn't was because of coaching. So by your logic, a change of scheme will allow us to win 9+ games because the talent is already there. It will be close to a miracle if we win 7 next year. We aren't a very talented team right now compared to UGA, FL, Bama, SCar, probably Auburn, basically everyone that matters. 1 reason we aren't as talented is because DOOLEY COULDN'T RECRUIT.

We just lost our entire starting skill positions so presently speaking, this year could be tough. But I bet we are way better coached and compete on another level, win or lose. Which we will build on in years to come.

VN Store

Back