'13 FL ATH Lemond Johnson (UT Commit 12/16/12)

The top 5 or 6 teams in our league, how many defensive starters did we have that start for those teams? I'll be waiting....

I hope people arent expecting us to just launch back into late 90s defensive mode.

Justin Wilcox was and will always be a mediocre DC. Hindsight of course, he looks great when you compare his playcalling and schemes to Sal's.

Lemond and Jones can definitely help in the back half but if there is no pressure on the QB again, we'll be looking at another 6+ loss season

The top 5 or 6 teams in our league, how many defensive starters did we have that start for those teams? I'll be waiting....

You think A&Ms players would start for any of them? How was their season? I'm sure it had nothing to do with coaching and clearly showed how well they've recruited. Right? I'm waiting....

Lulz. They have a TOP 5 pick!
They have recruited really well as well. Stars are nice, but we obviously have lacked in the evaluation department.

Last edited:
You think A&Ms players would start for any of them? How was their season? I'm sure it had nothing to do with coaching and clearly showed how well they've recruited. Right? I'm waiting....

Yes, there are some damn good football players on that A&M defense led by Damontre Moore that would start or challenge for starting spots on the top teams.

The lack of pressure from rushing three or four has plagued UT for years now. Getting Carr and, hopefully, Lawson in this class could really change that in the coming years. It is truly amazing how much better linebackers, corners, and safeties look when the defensive line can get pressure on its own. Sentimore led UT with 4 sacks this year, Malik Jackson led UT with 2.5 sacks in 2011, Malik Jackson led UT with 5.0 sacks in 2010, Chris Walker led UT with 6 sacks in 2009, and Nevin McKenzie led UT with 5 sacks in 2008. Who was the last great pass rusher for UT? Also, I have wondered a lot about whether UT's secondary was so slow there was no help for them, Sal's schemes were so puzzling or bad that they were always out of position, the lack of pressure from the frontline gave the QBs and receivers too much time, or a combination of all led to the disaster on the field? I have got to think that the secondary may be on the slow side but schemes, coaching, and a lack of pressure from the front made them look worse than they are (which is still not very good).

So, is your argument that Dooley couldnt pull talent, or that he didn't pull the talent in the proper places?*

All of the above. If stars was all that mattered,recruiting would be boring to keep up with, and the same fews schools be be good permanently. You have to evaluate and find difference makers. He didnt do that on defense at all.

All of the above. If stars was all that mattered,recruiting would be boring to keep up with, and the same fews schools be be good permanently. You have to evaluate and find difference makers. He didnt do that on defense at all.

So not all of the above, only on defense.

Reactions: 1 person
Ya the 9 NFL players we had STARTING on O this year was poor recruiting.

Reference was to defense anyways. He has signed good WRs and O-lineman. Whiffing last year on the O-line was a mistake though.

Reference was to defense anyways. He has signed good WRs and O-lineman. Whiffing last year on the O-line was a mistake though.

Lol "he did alright with a couple OL." Unreal how people let their hate for a coach blind them to reality. I don't like DD any more than the next guy, but you people who act like he did absolutely 0 good things his whole tenure are ridiculous.

Lol "he did alright with a couple OL." Unreal how people let their hate for a coach blind them to reality. I don't like DD any more than the next guy, but you people who act like he did absolutely 0 good things his whole tenure are ridiculous.

5-19 (SEC) is all that mattered.

The original discussion was whether he could recruit or not. It turned to defense because that was some posters' beat argument against it.

Last edited:
Obviously it takes more than the O-linemen, and WR's that he brought in to win in this league. Works in the Big 12, not the SEC.

I hope people arent expecting us to just launch back into late 90s defensive mode.

Justin Wilcox was and will always be a mediocre DC. Hindsight of course, he looks great when you compare his playcalling and schemes to Sal's.

Lemond and Jones can definitely help in the back half but if there is no pressure on the QB again, we'll be looking at another 6+ loss season

Need Lawson.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back