12 Team CFP

In a normal year they put teams in that don’t deserve to play in a bowl now you’ll have teams in the big one.

You’ll have team 13 whining about how 12 didn’t deserve it and not motivated to play in another game.

The safety first group will have a field day with this

It needs to stay at 4 and if you don’t make it tough ****. Stop catering to the new culture
It's not catering to "new culture." Its catering to more money. That's the only thing that drives this stuff.

I get it. I really do. I know I’m the “old man” yelling “get off my lawn,” but the regular season in college football used to really mean something. Striving for a Bowl game and school/team pride.....
Now days, it seems that if your school isn’t in the playoff hunt, nobody cares. Bowls don’t mean squat. 7,8,9 wins just means you’re average. I really do miss the days that the goal in the SEC was the Sugar Bowl. With a 130 odd teams, it’s impossible to really say who the best team is, because of the different schedules and such......

I need to adapt and embrace it........
I guess I'm showing my age too but I miss the days of the Sugar bowl being the ultimate prize as well.

but I do prefer the idea of an expanded championship bracket over the current 4 team crap.

I guess I'm showing my age too but I miss the days of the Sugar bowl being the ultimate prize as well.
I’ve always wanted to go to the Sugar Bowl and have always promised myself that I would go the next time we went back. Good thing the Sugar Bowl isn’t the top goal for us anymore. It’s been what 30 years since we beat UVA?
I was 8 at the time.

I’ve always wanted to go to the Sugar Bowl and have always promised myself that I would go the next time we went back. Good thing the Sugar Bowl isn’t the top goal for us anymore. It’s been what 30 years since we beat UVA?
I was 8 at the time.
I was 9. My parents made me go to bed at halftime when things weren’t looking so good. Woke me up early because they taped the second half and let me watch before school. I know Kelly lit it up, but what I remember most is Carter’s int to end it. He’s my all time favorite player

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

Lots of truth there - the season and playoffs are boring with the same teams, and expanding the playoffs will only make it worse. At the end of the day we will still end up with the same 6 teams except now they can even lose one or even two games in the regular season and still be a guaranteed spot.

Reactions: LouderVol
Lots of truth there - the season and playoffs are boring with the same teams, and expanding the playoffs will only make it worse. At the end of the day we will still end up with the same 6 teams except now they can even lose one or even two games in the regular season and still be a guaranteed spot.
If it’s gonna be the same 6 teams what’s the difference if the games aren’t good? The semis haven’t been great overall anyway. We get more football and we get unusual matchups at home sites with a 12 team CFP.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan

How is it going to make it worse?

People are blaming the playoff and not blaming the actual problem....the same teams. Put in any system you want, it will end up being Alabama/Clemson/Ohio St. almost every year. Those teams already can lose 1 game and still make it. Alabama won the whole thing in the BCS without even winning their division.

People are blaming the playoff and not blaming the actual problem....the same teams. Put in any system you want, it will end up being Alabama/Clemson/Ohio St. almost every year. Those teams already can lose 1 game and still make it. Alabama won the whole thing in the BCS without even winning their division.
Bama also did that in the playoffs.

Really all the 12 games do is make it ok for the big teams to lose twice in the regular season.

Doesnt increase meaningful games at all, just moves around when they are played.

Really all the 12 games do is make it ok for the big teams to lose twice in the regular season.

Doesnt increase meaningful games at all, just moves around when they are played.

This.

It basically increases the probability to near 100% we see OSU, Bama, OK, UGA, Clemson, and ND every year. Furthermore, these teams could potentially lose 2 games and still make it in.

Nothing has changed other than we get to see a G5 and PAC 12 team lose in the first round and Bama, OSU and Clemson get an extra week of rest.

Yay.

Back in the poll era it would only be two teams, there would be controversy, there would be interesting bowl matchups, and the regular season would mean more. All we’ve done now is give an extra mulligan loss in the regular season to the top teams.

Back in the poll era it would only be two teams, there would be controversy, there would be interesting bowl matchups, and the regular season would mean more. All we’ve done now is give an extra mulligan loss in the regular season to the top teams.

And the controversy was we needed a playoff because the majority complained. It was stupid that #1 and #2 might not even play because of bowl tie-ins. Now we have a playoff and....oh people still compain. So basically all we've learned it, people are going to bitch no matter what.

As far as the interesting bowl matchups, well that I'll sort of agree with but that reason is because then making a bowl actually meant something. It no longer does. I remember when going 7-4 didn't ensure a bowl bid because there were only about 16 bowls. Now 6-6 and in some cases 5-7 gets you in. Playoffs didn't dimish bowls, making up a bunch of bowls did that.

This.

It basically increases the probability to near 100% we see OSU, Bama, OK, UGA, Clemson, and ND every year. Furthermore, these teams could potentially lose 2 games and still make it in.

Nothing has changed other than we get to see a G5 and PAC 12 team lose in the first round and Bama, OSU and Clemson get an extra week of rest.

Yay.

So...no different than now.

Yes, which proves my point. Playoff, BCS, 1970 bowl setup, take your pick, Alabama is going to play for the NC.

You guys keep arguing that this doesn't help anything but you're not proving it hurts anything either. The argument against it is the same thing that has been happening for like 10 years, both BCS and Playoff. So if that's the case, give me more football to watch.

Reactions: bamawriter

Of course, you're right. But let's not forget all the wailing and handwringing over the "deserving" 13th place team we're gonna be hearing about. It's okay. I like football. I'll probably watch some of it.

Wrong. It now allows the teams that were going to get in anyway to either get an extra loss or an extra week practice. All we have done is increase the stranglehold the top teams already have.

So like 5% tighter? They already have a stranglehold.

Of course, you're right. But let's not forget all the wailing and handwringing over the "deserving" 13th place team we're gonna be hearing about. It's okay. I like football. I'll probably watch some of it.

13th team has much less of an argument than #5. Just like #5 has less of an argument that the #3 team had before.

Like I said....every system is going to have someone bitching. You're never going to escape that.

VN Store

Back