12 Team CFP

13th team has much less of an argument than #5. Just like #5 has less of an argument that the #3 team had before.

Like I said....every system is going to have someone bitching. You're never going to escape that.

Absolutely true so lets go back to the BCS and keep the uniqueness of D1 football by making every game of the regular season a playoff game.

Yes, which proves my point. Playoff, BCS, 1970 bowl setup, take your pick, Alabama is going to play for the NC.

You guys keep arguing that this doesn't help anything but you're not proving it hurts anything either. The argument against it is the same thing that has been happening for like 10 years, both BCS and Playoff. So if that's the case, give me more football to watch.
Why 12 then? Why not 16? 32? 64? 68 like basketball?

If you want more games there are plenty of ways to do it without watering down the championship system to be some type of participation trophy of also rans who got to play Bama/OSU/Clemson.

Why not just expand the regular season? Why not add in spring games, or a summer league?

You are artificially creating the excitement. However much excitement the playoffs gain will just be offset by lost excitement in the regular season and bowl games. Especially with the trend of players dropping.

The regular season was your original playoff. That wasnt enough. They were all playing for something, every game mattered, plenty of excitement by all.

Reactions: GreveHaller
Absolutely true so lets go back to the BCS and keep the uniqueness of D1 football by making every game of the regular season a playoff game.
Unique like that time OU gets blown out in Big 12 title game and still gets to play for the BCS Championship? Or Auburn gets left out despite going 13-0? No thanks .

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Unique like that time OU gets blown out in Big 12 title game and still gets to play for the BCS Championship? Or Auburn gets left out despite going 13-0? No thanks .

No system is or would be perfect.

That brings up an interesting question that I always kind of enjoyed about college football, is that half the teams in a bowl game got to feel reasonably good at the end of the season even without winning it all. If you were an Auburn fan back in 04, would you feel better about going 13-0 and always thinking they should’ve been in there, or say losing in the semi-finals but still making the playoff? You could apply this same scenario to any number of situations as a what if scenario.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
No system is or would be perfect.
I completely agree, but for an undefeated team from the SEC or any P5 conference to not have a chance to play for a National Title would be absurd. It was absurd. I get that The game is uneven right now and people are tired of seeing Bama, Clemson and Ohio State, probably OU too. I think long term the expansion will be very good for college football, but I’m not going to sit here and say that the first few years won’t have similar results as a lot of the semi final games, but eventually we will see more parity. I do think a shorter window from the last game of the season to the next playoff game will have an impact and the thing I’m most excited for is the on campus CFP games. As a college football fan I don’t know how people can’t be excited about that. To me The intersection and potential matchups that will take place are going to be appointment TV. My biggest issue with the proposed 12 team format is that the 1-4 seeds won’t host a game . I think that needs to be fixed . Like you said, there will never a perfect format, but I think college football should at least try to see what an expanded format looks like.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I completely agree, but for an undefeated team from the SEC or any P5 conference to not have a chance to play for a National Title would be absurd. It was absurd. I get that The game is uneven right now and people are tired of seeing Bama, Clemson and Ohio State, probably OU too. I think long term the expansion will be very good for college football, but I’m not going to sit here and say that the first few years won’t have similar results as a lot of the semi final games, but eventually we will see more parity. I do think a shorter window from the last game of the season to the next playoff game will have an impact and the thing I’m most excited for is the on campus CFP games. As a college football fan I don’t know how people can’t be excited about that. To me The intersection and potential matchups that will take place are going to be appointment TV. My biggest issue with the proposed 12 team format is that the 1-4 seeds won’t host a game . I think that needs to be fixed . Like you said, there will never a perfect format, but I think college football should at least try to see what an expanded format looks like.

I don't think it will bring any more parity to CFB, probably do the exact opposite.

I'd rather go back to the BCS system with the caveat that all OOC regular season games must be against other P5 conference teams. No more cupcakes.

Why 12 then? Why not 16? 32? 64? 68 like basketball?

If you want more games there are plenty of ways to do it without watering down the championship system to be some type of participation trophy of also rans who got to play Bama/OSU/Clemson.

Why not just expand the regular season? Why not add in spring games, or a summer league?

You are artificially creating the excitement. However much excitement the playoffs gain will just be offset by lost excitement in the regular season and bowl games. Especially with the trend of players dropping.

The regular season was your original playoff. That wasnt enough. They were all playing for something, every game mattered, plenty of excitement by all.

No it wasn't; Auburn went undefeated in 2004 and didn't get to play for the NC.

Strange to compare it to basketball considering the NCAAT has hardly suffered from expanding. How is expanding the regular season better than expanding the playoffs? How would that not water it down the regular season? Are you going to force teams to actually schedule REAL opponents, or will teams do what they already do with the 12th game.....add more cupcakes. OH BOY, I get to see Alabama play another FCS team and New Mexico St.! That's SO MUCH better than adding playoff games.

Again, I'm going to say this for about the 1000th time, there is no excitement for about 80% of the bowl games and it has ZERO to do with any playoff. Nobody has cared about most of these bowls for 25+ years. And it's because there are 40 bowls and everyone who gets to .500 gets a spot. Bowls are the definition of a participation trophy. Why get excited about going .500?

All this "regular season mattered" is just rose colored nostalgia glasses mixed with old guys yelling at the clouds.

I don't think it will bring any more parity to CFB, probably do the exact opposite.

I'd rather go back to the BCS system with the caveat that all OOC regular season games must be against other P5 conference teams. No more cupcakes.
We’ll see what happens I guess. I hope I’m right.

That will never happen because smaller programs depend on the payouts and every coach will tell you they want the cupcakes.

That brings up an interesting question that I always kind of enjoyed about college football, is that half the teams in a bowl game got to feel reasonably good at the end of the season even without winning it all. If you were an Auburn fan back in 04, would you feel better about going 13-0 and always thinking they should’ve been in there, or say losing in the semi-finals but still making the playoff? You could apply this same scenario to any number of situations as a what if scenario.

I think I would’ve wanted an opportunity at USC in 2004 if I were Auburn. They were better than OU was in 2004 and I think they would’ve been capable of beating USC. I think it would’ve been a helluva game between 2 great teams.

To me this is the same as asking me would I rather win the NIT or lose in the first round of the NCAAT; I'm picking the NCAAT every single time.

Or ask it this way; in 2001 we ended the season by beating the snot out of Michigan in the Citrus Bowl; would you have rather ended it by being boatraced by Miami in the Rose Bowl?

Last edited:
I think I would’ve wanted an opportunity at USC in 2004 if I were Auburn. They were better than OU was in 2004 and I think they would’ve been capable of beating USC. I think it would’ve been a helluva game between 2 great teams.

Especially when they struggled against VT and for some that was justification for them not being in the BCS Championship.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

Except every regular season game wasn't a playoff game.

No it wasn't; Auburn went undefeated in 2004 and didn't get to play for the NC.

Strange to compare it to basketball considering the NCAAT has hardly suffered from expanding. How is expanding the regular season better than expanding the playoffs? How would that not water it down the regular season? Are you going to force teams to actually schedule REAL opponents, or will teams do what they already do with the 12th game.....add more cupcakes. OH BOY, I get to see Alabama play another FCS team and New Mexico St.! That's SO MUCH better than adding playoff games.

Again, I'm going to say this for about the 1000th time, there is no excitement for about 80% of the bowl games and it has ZERO to do with any playoff. Nobody has cared about most of these bowls for 25+ years. And it's because there are 40 bowls and everyone who gets to .500 gets a spot. Bowls are the definition of a participation trophy. Why get excited about going .500?

All this "regular season mattered" is just rose colored nostalgia glasses mixed with old guys yelling at the clouds.
D1 basketball is HUGE compared to P5 and G5. 350 teams across 32 league's vs 130 teams across 10 league's. That's the reason it doesnt suffer. Basketball doesnt require nearly the investment of football, just look at team size if nothing else. Much easier for Gonzaga basketball to keep up with the big boys than their football team can.

You seem to be fixated on fixing the playoffs, I am more interested in CFB in total.

Just expanding the playoffs doesnt fix CFB. You even bring up a great point that would help CFB overall, no more cupcakes. Maybe a caveat for one in state game from a lower level, but yeah limit it to otherwise bowl eligible teams.

That would increase excitement for 13/14 weeks. Instead of 2/3 in the post season. That would help the UCFs and Cincinatis have arguments for their inclusion in the playoffs, if P5 teams are required to play minimum G5 OOC. Expanding the playoffs doesnt fix their cupcake situation.

Expanding the regular doesnt water down the season at all. It just adds more data points to be considered for the playoffs. That's because every team would be playing more games. If you just expand the playoffs only those teams benefit and not the entity of D1, so that waters down the season. Expanding the season imo is raising the floor, expanding the playoffs is lowering the ceiling.

VN Store

Back