12 Team CFP

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character
Sounds like the idea of a 12 team CFP is gaining steam. I figured this would be a perfect June Volnation discussion .

Why do you dislike it?

Several reasons.

1. It does nothing to stop the griping. The griping just shifts from which 4 teams are in the playoff to which 4 teams get byes and then adds griping about which 4 teams get home games.
2. The semi have sucked at a 75% clip. Adding two rounds isn't going to magically make the games any better.
3. Most importantly, it completely devalues the regular season. There aren't 12 teams in college football that actually deserve a crack at the national championship. A three loss Florida team had no argument for the national title last year, and the above model had them hosting a playoff game.

In
Several reasons.

1. It does nothing to stop the griping. The griping just shifts from which 4 teams are in the playoff to which 4 teams get byes and then adds griping about which 4 teams get home games.
2. The semi have sucked at a 75% clip. Adding two rounds isn't going to magically make the games any better.
3. Most importantly, it completely devalues the regular season. There aren't 12 teams in college football that actually deserve a crack at the national championship. A three loss Florida team had no argument for the national title last year, and the above model had them hosting a playoff game.

Florida gave Bama more of a game than anybody else outside of Ole Miss. you don’t think they could have made a run?

In

Florida gave Bama more of a game than anybody else outside of Ole Miss. you don’t think they could have made a run?

Sure, they could have. You could say the same for UGA after they put Daniels in at QB. Oklahoma was playing great ball after they stumbled out of the gate.

But what any particular team could have done is irrelevant if they didn't deserve an opportunity.

Several reasons.

1. It does nothing to stop the griping. The griping just shifts from which 4 teams are in the playoff to which 4 teams get byes and then adds griping about which 4 teams get home games…
You’ve been a member here since 2010, and you think that there is a way to stop football fans from griping? 🤪

Sure, they could have. You could say the same for UGA after they put Daniels in at QB. Oklahoma was playing great ball after they stumbled out of the gate.

But what any particular team could have done is irrelevant if they didn't deserve an opportunity.

It’s relevant to the discussion at hand and a 12 team playoff.

Is it most deserving or best team in your opinion?

Reactions: Rockytoptalker
Several reasons.

What, if anything, can be done to make football interesting again to the entire rest of the country not named Bama, Clemson, or Ohio State?

What, if anything, can be done to make football interesting again to the entire rest of the country not named Bama, Clemson, or Ohio State?

The obvious solution is that those other teams could start playing better football.

Reactions: UTwild82
It’s relevant to the discussion at hand and a 12 team playoff.

Is it most deserving or best team in your opinion?

Most deserving. Both are subjective assessments, but "best" is more subjective than "earned."

11 conference champions (10)
5 at large bids (6)
-----------
16 teams

Fair and equitable.

With that said. Go back to the freacking BCS. 1vs2 and be done with it.
Better yet, go back to multiple polls and champions. It was better before the BCS.

Last edited:
Several reasons.

I agree with this 100%. Not looking forward to the drama surrounding the "deserving" team #13.

There's never been a need for all 4 teams.

Reactions: UTwild82
Too many at 12 should be 8 teams no more but it doesn’t matter if it goes to 64 teams we still wouldn’t get in.

It's always been ironic to me that the two biggest critiques of the CFP are 1) it should be 8 or 12 teams and 2) a lot of the games, especially the semifinal games, are not competitive.

If you don't like the CFP because the semifinal games of a 4 team playoff aren't competitive, then you'll really hate an 8 or 12 team playoff.

The main reason I'd be for it is because I think it could help bring some parity back to college football. A lot of kids want a shot to make the playoff, and currently, there are only a handful of teams that ever have a chance at that. It'd be slow, but I think kids would start being more open to the non-Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, GA.

The main reason I'd be for it is because I think it could help bring some parity back to college football. A lot of kids want a shot to make the playoff, and currently, there are only a handful of teams that ever have a chance at that. It'd be slow, but I think kids would start being more open to the non-Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, GA.
If that was true, then shouldn't we have seen parity increase since the CFP was instituted? Under the BCS, #3 and #4 were shut out and only #1 and #2 had a shot at it.

I don't even necessarily agree that parity has decreased in recent years, but the CFP is a more open system than the one that preceded it, and the narrative is that there's way less parity than there used to be.

If that was true, then shouldn't we have seen parity increase since the CFP was instituted? Under the BCS, #3 and #4 were shut out and only #1 and #2 had a shot at it.

I don't even necessarily agree that parity has decreased in recent years, but the CFP is a more open system than the one that preceded it, and the narrative is that there's way less parity than there used to be.

Agreed the playoffs will do nothing to increase parity. I don’t care if it is 32 teams.

The parity problem is one of rule enforcement and disproportionate resources at member schools and it is what it is. The richest schools that cheat the best will be on top.

The playoff problem is one of access. Some teams can get in with one loss, others can go undefeated in consecutive seasons and never sniff it.

CFB has never been a level playing field and the playoffs are not true playoffs if everyone doesn’t have an equal chance to get in. However, in its current state I think the parity is decreasing between the top 5-ish schools and the rest of the pack, but the parity is increasing among the rest of the pack.

It’s a boring product right now is all I know. I’ve even heard Bama fans say they don’t really get excited until conference championships and playoff time. A buddy at work with a kid in Clemson has said his kid says the same thing.

At least in the poll era there was some controversy and shared championships. While not ideal, in a sport where the playing field isn’t level, that at least made it interesting.

Reactions: hog88
At the current scheme, the CFP isn’t going to change the recruiting advantages B***, Clemson, tOSU, UGA, etc have created for themselves. There’s a chance expanding the playoffs helps balance recruiting a little more. That’s a big if though. And it will take some time regardless. There will be a lot of really bad “playoff” games until that potentially happens.

VN Store

Back