1 second left and you don't offer any defense?

Maybe I missed something. I'm the opposite of a Kelly defender, but, as I understand it, a girl who had never made a 3 BANKED in a 3, and we're blaming the defensive philosophy. That was a deal-with-the-devil kind of play.
It should have been covered but at the same time it was a one in a thousand type play.

A foul to give was not used to take time off the clock (3.7 seconds left)

using that foul to give upon reception of the ball and fouling her before she showed a shot motion,,,would have forced SC to make a second throw in with as much as half of the 3.7 seconds they had to give it to Cordoso

that is more than just a "big hitting a 3 for a game winner"

I take nothing away from the game,,,those kids fought like heck,,,but I am a coach and I look at what I was thinking at the time and what happens at that same time...I was yelling "foul to give" so loud my neighbor went out and smacked the cart-lady to shut me up
I thought Sara may have grabbed the girl under the basket but it wasn't called

Someone needs to tell the girl that missed the 2 free throws prior to take her time. She just chucked them up there like we were ahead by 10. Is she normally a good ft shooter and does she always shoot like that?

Reactions: 56Jeff
Someone needs to tell the girl that missed the 2 free throws prior to take her time. She just chucked them up there like we were ahead by 10. Is she normally a good ft shooter and does she always shoot like that?
She normally shoots them that quickly...but she still needed to make at least one if them...

Watching that felt like watching us lose to LSU with 13 players, like losing to bama when Cody blocked the kick, losing to Purdue in the Music City Bowl. Ouch.
I will say that when Cody blocked that kick, he then ripped his helmet off in celebration before the play had ended. If we were not playing Ala-no-penalties-called-on-us-bama, that would had been a 15 yard unsportmanlike penalty and a no time re-kick for the win.

Yes and sometimes a timeout is for such a coaching moment
JP's missed foul shots didn't do the damage that letting that shiggitty play/shooting/missed bunnies; continue in Q1 without trying to do something to stop it...Time Out,,," ok ladies lets talk about the crap you are leaving on the court right now,,,Doesn't it matter to you,,Now, here's whats gonna change.,,,"

If I could give consult to Kellie it would be to
Don't start throwing subs in to look for the answer to finding a change,,,Sub with purpose.
And use your timeouts both before they are needed and when they are needed

You know
This team has one very missing item that few have addressed on VolNation....
It has no defined 6th man
Our off the bench-stopper,,,the Glove...the closer,,,the microwave,,no sixth man
Wynn is as close as we have. 😳

Kellie was directing traffic and told TK to stay by the rim. She did what she was told, but at the same time the players need the freedom to deviate from the coaching plan if they can see that it has flaws.
Huge consideration here ⬆️
…especially if they are standing thirty feet from Staley when she gives Kamila the final word…

Reactions: JCP201 and glv98
I bet this becomes a teaching moment for the entire team and staff. The sting will be there a L O N G time for them all. I actually look for some Lady Tenn Vols payback in the next set of games. They wake up this morning with new resolve.

As Scarlett O Hara's said in GWTW...

As God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill.

There are no words for the coaching malpractice that took place in that situation.

Unobstructed inbounds pass. Uncovered shooter. I don't care is she shoots as well as Shaq blindfolded from the 3 point line.
I agree 100%. Cover them straight up without fouling and see what happens. Leaving her uncovered you gave them a chance to win the game. Oh yeah, ask Rick Pitino if you put a defender on the inbounder. She makes too much money to come up with that defensive plan like that. Unreal how coaches overthink last second situations. Trust your players to cover the players. She will be kicking herself on long time over this decision.

First there was no one on that floor dressed in orange that was even ready to start with (deer in the headlights) or had a clue including the bench. Probably the worst play I’ve ever seen in basketball at any level. No excuses please because there isn’t any

Kellie was directing traffic and told TK to stay by the rim. She did what she was told, but at the same time the players need the freedom to deviate from the coaching plan if they can see that it has flaws.
I have not seen or heard this. Even so, someone else could at least made an effort to distract the shooter. You can't just stand and watch the action.

Yes and sometimes a timeout is for such a coaching moment
JP's missed foul shots didn't do the damage that letting that shiggitty play/shooting/missed bunnies; continue in Q1 without trying to do something to stop it...Time Out,,," ok ladies lets talk about the crap you are leaving on the court right now,,,Doesn't it matter to you,,Now, here's whats gonna change.,,,"

If I could give consult to Kellie it would be to
Don't start throwing subs in to look for the answer to finding a change,,,Sub with purpose.
And use your timeouts both before they are needed and when they are needed

You know
This team has one very missing item that few have addressed on VolNation....
It has no defined 6th man
Our off the bench-stopper,,,the Glove...the closer,,,the microwave,,no sixth man
Well said as usual, Jumper

That would have been called an intentional foul if she had. Two FTs for either Paopao or Johnson to tie the game

You are correct if it's flagrant
That so hard, esp in the heat of the moment. Obviously it is an intentional foul bc your intentionally fouling. Finding the sweet spot before they call flagrant has to be hard, esp a few feet from the woman who owns the whistles.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
That so hard, esp in the heat of the moment. Obviously it is an intentional foul bc your intentionally fouling. Finding the sweet spot before they call flagrant has to be hard, esp a few feet from the woman who owns the whistles.
One would think but Louisville lost the game vs Syracuse because the refs called the intentional foul with the wrap around. If Sara did that to someone not an attempt on the ball and with the shooter 20 ft away, that would be an easy call.

VN Store

Back