1 second left and you don't offer any defense?

One thing i can say is Kellie is a good coach , she can keep a team competitive and give glimpses of greatness but they will never get over the hump of the Dawns, Kims and Geno teams . We can make a top matchup interesting with our "Potential " and yet we have not seen that "Potential" blossom under 2 different administrations since pat. In regards to kelly , her resume definitely will get a boost at her next D1 coaching job but Tennessee's overall pedigree has become "Mid major" . We can play the big wigs , but "We can't beat them " .

In hindsight, both of those things are true. But none of that is coaching malpractice, just Kellie Harper's unbelievably bad luck. In general, you always foul if you have fouls to give in that situation to make them inbound again. But it did look like their player was just going to crazy heave it from the backcourt prematuraly. Jewel couldn't have known that when she fouled. Then the ball got advanced.

Also, the reason for not calling time out made sense and Dawn said she wouldn't have either. Don't want to let them draw up a play. But that turned out to bite bc our players looked confused about their defensive assignment. Not sure if Kellie meant for them not to closely guard the inbound pass. Then neither Rickea or TK reacted to Kamilla standing alone. Then KC pulled a rabbit out her a*s.

But none of it, none of it would have mattered if JP had just hit those free throws. This will never not hurt.
There will come a time when the wound heals. I offer patience to you and pray that JP has patience with herself. We still got things to do.

but denying the mistakes will not help anything.
No one is denying the mistakes. But they weren't Harper's. This is brutally painful for me to say, but Rickea simply was confused as to her assignment. Half guarded the inbound then didn't react to Kamilla. Not sure she could have gotten to her from where she was anyway. And TK was married to the rim and also didn't make a run at Kamilla.

Rickea is the best player we've had since CP and my fave in ages. But that's what happened. Maybe they call timeout to organize, in hindsight of course, that would have been the thing to do. But that's a 50-50 call and Dawn said she wouldn't have done it.

And once again, if we just hit the free throws . . .

Here’s another take…. If the roles were flipped and we threw the ball to Key and she missed it….. People would be equally as mad saying KJH messed up. It’s theoretical but I have no doubts about it. Fickle.
No no no this is not a one time thing this a 5 year summary of what we know and witness. Today was a job saving win and the Gods said "No" shes not teh coach for this program.

The point I’m making is people are hanging on the result and not the decision/ probability. If the ball is 2 inches to the left, people would have said it was a bad decision to throw to Cordoso for a 3. I feel like that’s pretty self explanatory.
We lost nobody cares about Semantics

No one is denying the mistakes. But they weren't Harper's. This is brutally painful for me to say, but Rickea simply was confused as to her assignment. Half guarded the inbound then didn't react to Kamilla. Not sure she could have gotten to her from where she was anyway. And TK was married to the rim and also didn't make a run at Kamilla.

Rickea is the best player we've had since CP and my fave in ages. But that's what happened. Maybe they call timeout to organize, in hindsight of course, that would have been the thing to do. But that's a 50-50 call and Dawn said she wouldn't have done it.

And once again, if we just hit the free throws . . .
The first 9 words let me know to stop reading #Delusional......

Reactions: BisonVol
This was not a coach's decision. A couple of players did not react when Kamilla stopped at the arc instead of going to the paint. Also not the coaches fault they missed two free throws that would have clinched the game. KJH actually did a great job today.
omg now we need someone to find the footage at the end of the game because the "Impossible homers" stating KElly did not DIRECTLY tell TK to do that are getting annoying .

WTH, we didn’t guard the inbounds passer. With 1.1 the pass has to be perfect. Nobody was on her. That is mistake number 1. The point guard was in no woman’s land, she was moot at this point. Mistake number 2. So while we weren’t guarding inbounds passer we had 5 on 4 but still felt it necessary to not guard the center at the top of the key the highest percentage 3 point shot. With 1.1 left it makes no sense to not guard everyone, this doesn’t even take a great effort. With 1.1 left at half court you always defend the inbounds passer with that amount of time any pass that isn’t perfect it’s game over. Maybe Harper and the team learn from this but denying the mistakes will not help anything. If she plays that same scenario the same way again she will deserve to be fired. I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she truly sees the errors better than some on here.
She shot a brick that somehow went in. Definitely put somebody on the ball; but I'd let my chances ride on THAT girl taking THAT shot 100 times out of 100, and I'd win at least 98 of them. Sorry to be repetitive, but she missed the shot by almost 3 feet. Kelly may have made a dozen coaching blunders down the stretch, but letting THAT girl have an unguarded 3 wasn't one of them.

after that post game presser i cant fake it , i see why kellie is so likeable amongst the big wigs and boosters , but overall .....this lost was the most painful ive felt in decades maybe since the 2016 holocaust against Syracuse . The part that sucks is that the cameras actually "Catch Harper Verbatimly yelling TK stay at the rim guard the rim over and over " and then we give a college d1 athlete an open free three to win the game lol. Like hey its yours to win if you can take it and Cardoso Mf Took it smh. Kelly is a good coach but not an elite coach she cannot win the big one nor recruit so where does the future lie ? I did like the fight the team showed but this is another sweet 16 team nothing more maybe even less.
She should have brought in a big to defend the passer, not having someone harassing the passer was huge. And what made it worse while not even guarding the inbounds passer with 1.1 we allow the player to be wide open that she is throwing it too. That kind of D with 1.1 is just inexcusable. We have to defend them situations a lot better in the future.

One thing i can say is Kellie is a good coach , she can keep a team competitive and give glimpses of greatness but they will never get over the hump of the Dawns, Kims and Geno teams . We can make a top matchup interesting with our "Potential " and yet we have not seen that "Potential" blossom under 2 different administrations since pat. In regards to kelly , her resume definitely will get a boost at her next D1 coaching job but Tennessee's overall pedigree has become "Mid major" . We can play the big wigs , but "We can't beat them " .
Pretty sure I recall Coach Heupel, in his first year, explain starting with hoping to win, progressing to thinking you can win, to finally expecting to win.

May have been Tony Vitello.

Reactions: krichunaka
She shot a brick that somehow went in. Definitely put somebody on the ball; but I'd let my chances ride on THAT girl taking THAT shot 100 times out of 100, and I'd win at least 98 of them. Sorry to be repetitive, but she missed the shot by almost 3 feet. Kelly may have made a dozen coaching blunders down the stretch, but letting THAT girl have an unguarded 3 wasn't one of them.
So with 1.1 left you don’t guard her versus guard her? You don’t defend the inbounds passer either??? I played basketball and have coached some too. That wasn’t smart D. 1.1 seconds you don’t give the inbounds passer a free pass, but we did. So we had 5 players to guard 4 and your still saying it was good stradegy to let her have a wide open shot at the top of they key???? And what about the foul with 1.1 left with the player in a full sprint fixing to shoot a 44-45 footer on the run? You think that was a smart foul too. Most all coaches with 1.1 left are going to put a player on the inbounds passer. That should have been Hollingshed with the long arms, and everybody else simply guards there man. Not guarding the inbound player close was a critical mistake. Now way that is not a mistake. Edit, I saw on reread you agree someone should have been on ball. So forget my post on that.

Here comes the racist lol in 1...2....3..
Behave… 😉 it was pretty rough around here earlier. I hate that our fanbase is so very fractured, but it’s pretty easy to identify failures in execution both by the staff and awareness of the players to react.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
. I love social media I knew this would already be a topic trending 🥴😂

Last edited:
. I love social media I knew this would already be a topic trending 🥴😂
….errr bad link.

We did have 5 defenders guarding 3 offensive players. We could have easily had one player either on the inbound pass or the player at the 3pt line.

Agreed.

I think the crucial mistake was not calling a timeout to set the defense. Nevertheless, I would have let my chances ride on Cordoso, rather than any of the other 4 Carolina players, taking the shot. I think she misses that shot 99.9 times out of 100. Let's move on and get ready for the NCAAT. The LVs are ready to make a deep run. GBO.

Last edited:
….errr bad link.
My lord how friggen lost do you have to be situationally. How the heck do you win national championships and play under Pat Summitt and not understand all you do is not give up a three here. Let me try to figure this out as well…I didnt watch game and you would have to pay me to watch this crap but…you are telling me we fouled? So we essentially gave up what would have amounted to a half court heave to let South Carolina reset, get an inbounds pass into the front court and then allow a wide open practice 3 that my dead grandmother may hit 25 percent of the time? I thought South Carolina had advanced the ball to half court on a timeout….Wow…2 coaching mistakes in 5 seconds and then to sit there and be upset. You should fire yourself Harper. You and Holly have made the once greatest program a friggen unwatchable joke.

It was a tough coaching call. Get up on the shooter and take a chance for a foul call ( we were in Carolina) or bait them into letting a non shooter take the shot.
Still very proud of this staff and team. Like Dawn said " Nobody wants to Plat Tennessee in the tournament ."

Maybe I missed something. I'm the opposite of a Kelly defender, but, as I understand it, a girl who had never made a 3 BANKED in a 3, and we're blaming the defensive philosophy. That was a deal-with-the-devil kind of play.
She has never made a 3 because she has never attempted a 3 in a game. She makes them all the time in practice.

It absolutely is about probability. Because if you knew she was going to make a 3, you would have fouled and made her make 2 FT’s to force overtime (which is stupid). That was about a 10% chance of going in, and we got unlucky. Anyone who knows basketball realizes that.
Put someone on her and that 10% turns into 3%.

VN Store

Back