‘22 TN SF Brandon Miller

Lol. If you’re citing the addition of Tambja as being a late pickup because Aidoo isn’t ready….that tells us all we need to know about how closely you follow Vols b-ball recruiting. :)

Ok, but its been reported by knowledgeable people who watch practice.....

Not that Tamba was brought in because Aidoo isn’t ready. Tamba is a project and was coming for over a year. The fact Aidoo isn’t yet ready as a true freshman shouldn’t surprise anyone….. but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good get on the recruiting front, which was the original point people were making to you….

Last edited:
Reactions: berryvol
Not that Tambja was brought in because Aidoo isn’t ready. Tambja is a project and was coming for over a year. The fact Aidoo isn’t yet ready as a true freshman shouldn’t surprise anyone….. but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good get on the recruiting front, which was the original point people were making to you….

Well, the story I've heard was Tennessee was holding the scholarship for a grad transfer big guy that was available but he went elsewhere thus Tennessee pulled the trigger on Tambja a year early. They are concerned with depth and after watching Plavy last year, I agree.

Reactions: Volfan1000
The fact Aidoo isn’t yet ready as a true freshman shouldn’t surprise anyone

Per Rivals he was a 5* the 24th best recruit and the second highest ranked center - count me and Dog surprised if Aidoo isn’t ready to contribute. Not dominate but someone with that type of ranking typically is at least in the rotation and a solid contributor. Last year Walker Kessler was 24 who we coveted, Cameron Thomas of LSU 27, and Isiah Jackson KY’s best player 28. Yea, I’m surprised this year’s 24 is being viewed as not ready to contribute.

Reactions: The Dog
Per Rivals he was a 5* the 24th best recruit and the second highest ranked center - count me and Dog surprised if Aidoo isn’t ready to contribute. Not dominate but someone with that type of ranking typically is at least in the rotation and a solid contributor. Last year Walker Kessler was 24 who we coveted, Cameron Thomas of LSU 27, and Isiah Jackson KY’s best player 28. Yea, I’m surprised this year’s 24 is being viewed as not ready to contribute.

Not going to touch on Cam Thomas as guards have an easier transition and less of a learning curve than bigs typically.

But if you are using Kessler and Jackson as what to expect production wise for Aidoo, then I think that actually sides with the "not ready to contribute immediately" argument. Kessler struggled to get playing time and Jackson averaged 8.4 points and 6.6 rebounds last year on an abysmal UK team. Jackson is also a superior athlete than Aidoo, so I don't think it would be surprising to see Aidoo struggle early and perhaps for the majority of the season.

Not going to touch on Cam Thomas as guards have an easier transition and less of a learning curve than bigs typically.

But if you are using Kessler and Jackson as what to expect production wise for Aidoo, then I think that actually sides with the "not ready to contribute immediately" argument. Kessler struggled to get playing time and Jackson averaged 8.4 points and 6.6 rebounds last year on an abysmal UK team. Jackson is also a superior athlete than Aidoo, so I don't think it would be surprising to see Aidoo struggle early and perhaps for the majority of the season.

Kessler was very strong for UNC at the end of the season. Im not sure we can expect that kind of play from any of these young big guys this coming season.

I never said he will or won’t be ready to contribute.
I wouldn’t consider Kessler a huge contributor at the beginning of last season at all. He averaged around 6 minutes per game. And he didn’t have a good game until February. In fact, if you take away a decent 4 game stretch, he basically did nothing - especially the first 2/3 of the season. You kinda make my point about not being surprised.
Top 25/30 big men are not always ready to contribute the moment they step on campus. Top 5/10?…..sure. And I haven’t seen any coach say he won’t contribute this year.

Kessler was very strong for UNC at the end of the season. Im not sure we can expect that kind of play from any of these young big guys this coming season.
Very strong is a very strong and liberal use of success here. He had 4 or 5 good games - 3 of those against real Stuckey weak opponents. His final 3 games he scored 2,4 and 2……

Well, the story I've heard was Tennessee was holding the scholarship for a grad transfer big guy that was available but he went elsewhere thus Tennessee pulled the trigger on Tambja a year early. They are concerned with depth and after watching Plavy last year, I agree.
We can both agree that a grad transfer big would have been a better solution for this year’s team….no doubt.

Tony Basilio isn’t what most consider a knowledgeable person, he’s the only one saying that…who else? Tamba was signing with Tennessee and reclassifying back in December, before Aidoo was even a possibility, timeline don’t even add up man.

Reactions: berryvol

Man if Aidoo can give us what Kessler or especially Jackson did last year as a true freshman, that would be great. The expectations for freshmen are so blown out of proportion, if he has the freshman year either of those two had, I would be very encouraged

Man if Aidoo can give us what Kessler or especially Jackson did last year as a true freshman, that would be great. The expectations for freshmen are so blown out of proportion, if he has the freshman year either of those two had, I would be very encouraged

We are talking about Walker Kessler, the guy that barely impacted any game and barely played last season at UNC right? When did that guy all of a sudden have a year that we would consider great if it was duplicated by our freshmen?

His season averages were 8 minutes, 4 points, 3 boards per game. While thats not totally unexpected for a freshman, its not anything to get excited and write home about either. Now ill be super happy if he can give us what Jackson did. Especially the 2.5 blocks per game.

Reactions: Maxwell865
We are talking about Walker Kessler, the guy that barely impacted any game and barely played last season at UNC right? When did that guy all of a sudden have a year that we would consider great if it was duplicated by our freshmen?

His season averages were 8 minutes, 4 points, 3 boards per game. While thats not totally unexpected for a freshman, its not anything to get excited and write home about either. Now ill be super happy if he can give us what Jackson did. Especially the 2.5 blocks per game.

He was scoring 20 a game when they finally played him. Coaching malpractice by Huckleberry Hound. That’s why every school, including Tennessee, was recruiting him when he entered the transfer portal.

Only one guy can hold Jordan under 20 pts a game—— Dean Smith

Tony Basilio isn’t what most consider a knowledgeable person, he’s the only one saying that…who else? Tamba was signing with Tennessee and reclassifying back in December, before Aidoo was even a possibility, timeline don’t even add up man.

So you read him too. He has pretty good sources inside UT BB.

He was scoring 20 a game when they finally played him. Coaching malpractice by Huckleberry Hound. That’s why every school, including Tennessee, was recruiting him when he entered the transfer portal.

Only one guy can hold Jordan under 20 pts a game—— Dean Smith

Lol, he scored 20 exactly 1 time last year.

I still think Kessler can be a good player, but no need to blatantly bend history here to support your Kessler love.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Lol, he scored 20 exactly 1 time last year.

I still think Kessler can be a good player, but no need to blatantly bend history here to support your Kessler love.
You can debate whether Kessler was underutilized, but there’s no debating the fact he was one of the most highly recruited guys in the portal last year

You can debate whether Kessler was underutilized, but there’s no debating the fact he was one of the most highly recruited guys in the portal last year

I haven't seen anybody suggest he wasn't.

That still doesn't change the fact that he didn't have an impressive freshman season.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with his readiness or overall success last year. He was highly pursued because of his potential for his sophomore season and beyond. And that is not what we’re discussing. We are discussing true freshman readiness. The fact is Kessler was relatively unproductive as a Freshman 5 star. Again, I’m not overly surprised because a top 25 guy is completely different than a top 5/10 guy.

And this year. His list of schools were just as impressive after his “bust” freshman yr as it was coming out of HS. Ky, Gonzaga, Tenn, Aub all were over him. Oh a new NC coach Davis wanted him to stay.

If you don’t play, you don’t score. Duh

If we’re counting recruiters as how many 5 stars signed, hell, Jerry Green re-recruited Tony Harris and got Yarbough. Where do you guys rank that idiot?

VN Store

Back