‘22 TN SF Brandon Miller

Tony Basilio isn’t what most consider a knowledgeable person, he’s the only one saying that…who else? Tamba was signing with Tennessee and reclassifying back in December, before Aidoo was even a possibility, timeline don’t even add up man.

I've got family that are big Basilio fans but as far as takes ad opinions go I can't stand his show and rarely agree with anything he says. I do like/respect his work ethic and devotion to UT sports though.
Tamba being at UT has nothing to do with Aidoo. Worst case scenario, Aidoo should fill the role of Freshman Year Kyle Alexander.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Lol, he scored 20 exactly 1 time last year.

I still think Kessler can be a good player, but no need to blatantly bend history here to support your Kessler love.

His average per 40 minutes played was 20 points. Pretty impressive that Huckleberry could sit his ass on the bench for 4/5 of the season.

His average per 40 minutes played was 20 points. Pretty impressive that Huckleberry could sit his ass on the bench for 4/5 of the season.

EJ Anosike's per 40 has him close to a double double. Are you going to tell me how awesome his season was and that he was just underutilized as well?

I honestly don't even know how anybody can argue Kessler had a successful freshman season. There is literally no evidence to support that. Then again, evidence isn't needed on the internet. People think they can just keep repeating the same point and that somehow makes it true.

Reactions: Kas232323
Lol, he scored 20 exactly 1 time last year.

I still think Kessler can be a good player, but no need to blatantly bend history here to support your Kessler love.

EJ Anosike's per 40 has him close to a double double. Are you going to tell me how awesome his season was and that he was just underutilized as well?

I honestly don't even know how anybody can argue Kessler had a successful freshman season. There is literally no evidence to support that. Then again, evidence isn't needed on the internet. People think they can just keep repeating the same point and that somehow makes it true.

Anoskies stats were 8 pts in less minutes. Kessler played regular during their last several games were he stood out. I don’t know where you went to school but there’s a big difference averaging 20 vs 8. Especially when 20 is over about 30% more minutes.

Hey, I’ll make a bet with you. I’ll give you Aidoo & Tambja and say neither score 20 in a game this year. How about $100?

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Larry Finch was David Vaughn's uncle. I was young back then, but I don't think he ever considered anywhere else.

Edit: The David Vaughn I am referring to is David III. In the 70's, his dad, David Vaughn, Jr. was going to Memphis State but ended up at Oral Roberts after Oral Roberts himself visited him.

Oral Roberts built their basketball program (very good in the 70s) almost exclusively on black players from Chattanooga & Nashville. They signed the starting 5 off Chattanooga Riverside’s state champs from 1968-69.

Anoskies stats were 8 pts in less minutes. Kessler played regular during their last several games were he stood out. I don’t know where you went to school but there’s a big difference averaging 20 vs 8. Especially when 20 is over about 30% more minutes.

Hey, I’ll make a bet with you. I’ll give you Aidoo & Tambja and say neither score 20 in a game this year. How about $100?

So it's all about points scored I guess. Isaiah Jackson never scored 20 last season in a game. Are you suggesting that he had a bad season then?

Kessler's last 5 games he scored over 4 points once and had more than 4 rebounds twice. If that is your definition of standing out you have a very low bar to clear.

I also don't think Aidoo or Tamba will score 20 either, but that doesn't mean they will have a worse season than Kessler. Seriously, you are either related to Kessler or his partner the way you are riding his jock. Either way, I don't think there is anything further to discuss.

So it's all about points scored I guess. Isaiah Jackson never scored 20 last season in a game. Are you suggesting that he had a bad season then?

Kessler's last 5 games he scored over 4 points once and had more than 4 rebounds twice. If that is your definition of standing out you have a very low bar to clear.

I also don't think Aidoo or Tamba will score 20 either, but that doesn't mean they will have a worse season than Kessler. Seriously, you are either related to Kessler or his partner the way you are riding his jock. Either way, I don't think there is anything further to discuss.

Careful now. I’m not making personal attacks on you. I’m not related to Kessler. I just know the Vol coach wanted him badly as did Calipari, Few & Pearl.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with his readiness or overall success last year. He was highly pursued because of his potential for his sophomore season and beyond. And that is not what we’re discussing. We are discussing true freshman readiness. The fact is Kessler was relatively unproductive as a Freshman 5 star. Again, I’m not overly surprised because a top 25 guy is completely different than a top 5/10 guy.
I sure like the impact that #16 &#18 had for us last year. LSU liked that #27 and KY liked their #28. Kessler would have played a ton for us last year. When he picked NC I recall us questioning why he would go to NC with their crowded post. Proved to be a poor choice as he got frustrated from lack of pt and left

He was also playing behind 2 1st round centers. At the end of the year, it was obvious he had an impact and was a great 3 level scorer.

Reactions: Vol49er

That’s not as sure a thing for you as may think. Throw Tamba out as I don’t know if he ever scored 20 in a hs game. Aidoo could surprise you - remember Uros got 16 against Miss St 2 years ago so anything is possible!

That’s not as sure a thing for you as may think. Throw Tamba out as I don’t know if he ever scored 20 in a hs game. Aidoo could surprise you - remember Uros got 16 against Miss St 2 years ago so anything is possible!
Yeah, I'm not sure that is a shoo-in bet. Probably a rough 85-90% chance of making good on it, but Aidoo isn't completely void of talent, and your Uros example is a cautionary tale as to what can happen when given a good matchup and opportunity. I'd probably still make the bet, but I wouldn't rest easy on it with the belief I had it locked up.

Reactions: walkenvol
I would question that some. Mears signed guys that would be 5 star/high 4 star today like Spencer Haywood, Mike Edwards, Grunfeld, King, & Reggie Johnson. He was close on many others but recruiting was very different then.

Pearl had 5 star guys also.

I was on campus during the Grunfeld/King era. It was well documented at the time that Stu Aberdeen was the reason we got Grunfeld and King.
IT'S THE BERNIE AND ERNIE SHOW

No disrespect for Mears, but Barnes is a better evaluator, recruiter and coach. Also better than Pearl.

I was on campus during the Grunfeld/King era. It was well documented at the time that Stu Aberdeen was the reason we got Grunfeld and King.

No disrespect for Mears, but Barnes is a better evaluator, recruiter and coach. Also better than Pearl.

Assistants always do the heavy lifting in recruiting...they do it at kentucky, Duke, NC, Gonzaga and at Tennessee...Barnes recruiting improved tremendously when he upgraded the assistants on his staff.

Assistants always do the heavy lifting in recruiting...they do it at kentucky, Duke, NC, Gonzaga and at Tennessee...Barnes recruiting improved tremendously when he upgraded the assistants on his staff.
Another Basilio myth? Recruiting improved when we started winning and building relationships with guys over 2-3 years.

I've got family that are big Basilio fans but as far as takes ad opinions go I can't stand his show and rarely agree with anything he says. I do like/respect his work ethic and devotion to UT sports though.

It's best to remember that Basilio is a true "broken clock"; very rarely does he have accurate inside information. I don't doubt that supports UT, but his primary goal is to increase his listenership and clicks on his website. Take anything he says with a massive grain of salt.

Another Basilio myth? Recruiting improved when we started winning and building relationships with guys over 2-3 years.

So Barnes does the majority of recruiting unlike other school head coaches. Ok.

Lanier wasn’t an elite recruiter at Texas, where they won bigger than at Tennessee. That’s why they all got their ass fired. He wasn’t here. Move to English upgraded the players they recruit.

So Barnes does the majority of recruiting unlike other school head coaches. Ok.

Lanier wasn’t an elite recruiter at Texas, where they won bigger than at Tennessee. That’s why they all got their ass fired. He wasn’t here. Move to English upgraded the players they recruit.
I didn’t say that about Barnes, it’s the assistant part you’re wrong about…we got James, Pons, Springer, Keon, Burns all prior to English. Good lord, your timelines and facts are just about as bad as Basilio’s. English could MAYBE be credited with Chandler, but even without him we likely were the favorites, get a clue.

Can confirm, but it counts that he had the insight to hire and trust him to do the job.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Per Rivals he was a 5* the 24th best recruit and the second highest ranked center - count me and Dog surprised if Aidoo isn’t ready to contribute. Not dominate but someone with that type of ranking typically is at least in the rotation and a solid contributor. Last year Walker Kessler was 24 who we coveted, Cameron Thomas of LSU 27, and Isiah Jackson KY’s best player 28. Yea, I’m surprised this year’s 24 is being viewed as not ready to contribute.
And just to be clear - Aidoo was a composite 4 star top 45 player, not a 5 star top 25…..are you confusing him with BHH?

And just to be clear - Aidoo was a composite 4 star top 45 player, not a 5 star top 25…..are you confusing him with BHH?
Cmon now, Rivals has become the only rankings game in town anymore. The other guys don’t dedicate the resources to be effective

Cmon now, Rivals has become the only rankings game in town anymore. The other guys don’t dedicate the resources to be effective
Yea…I agree Rivals is toward the top but I never accept just one services’ ranking. Especially when it’s an outlier from everyone else. But you can…sure…feel free.

Barnes might have an edge as a recruiter, but the comparison is from 2 eras without a lot in common. TN (and SEC) basketball was something that assistant football coaches typically were handling before Mears built the program from practically nothing. TN BB had been dormant for about 20 years. Recruits were mostly within a few hours of driving time. Mears also wasn’t able to include black athletes in the first half of his career. There also weren’t recruiting services anything comparable to today. TV appearances were rare and the NCAAT hadn’t become March Madness.

A better coach is highly debatable. Mears had a proven system for both ends of the court. His teams were extremely well disciplined. Mears also adapted. The star system that he implemented was nothing like what he was using just before Ernie and Bernie arrived. His offense transformed from highly disciplined and efficient to a very uptempo style when he had the studs on the roster. And Mears was arguably a better promoter than Pearl. Mears was by no means ever a clown. Mears, like Bruce, also had a natty on his resumé.

VN Store

Back