‘22 FL SF Dillon Mitchell

They keep having players get drafted higher than Rick.

It is true, but their three most recent top 10 picks were more drafted for physical tools and potential than anything else. Scottie Barnes is a good overall player, but Williams and Isaac are physical freaks.

We have discussed this before, I’m pretty certain, but it’s so hard to believe that guy is 73 years old.
Wow, yeah I was shocked to see that. But yeah, he turned 73 in August.

Looks like only 1 National Coach of the Year award in 1995, but he's a 5x conference coach of the year (twice in Big East, 3 times in ACC)

For comparison, Rick Barnes won 2 different National Coach of the Year awards in 2019 and is a 6x conference coach of the year (once in CAA, 4 times in Big 12, once in SEC)

Barnes also never padded his win totals in cup cake conferences. He was only at GM in the AAC for one year. Then in the Big East when they were a high flying power. Then on to the ACC, Big 12, and SEC.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Sounds like we are going to whiff on most of the big targets. Just when you think we are positioned to establish ourselves at the top, KY & AL start rolling.

Barnes also never padded his win totals in cup cake conferences. He was only at GM in the AAC for one year. Then in the Big East when they were a high flying power. Then on to the ACC, Big 12, and SEC.

If we’re comparing to Leonard Hamilton, he has only been HC in P5 conferences as far as I know, Big 12 (Okla St), Big East (Miami at the time) and now ACC (FSU). The first 2 were not easy jobs. I was a student at BC when Hamilton was at Miami, and he was basically a miracle worker. That was in the 90s, some glory years for the big east (miss those days, with the big east tourney at MSG). LH is a pretty great coach, as is RB.

If we’re comparing to Leonard Hamilton, he has only been HC in P5 conferences as far as I know, Big 12 (Okla St), Big East (Miami at the time) and now ACC (FSU). The first 2 were not easy jobs. I was a student at BC when Hamilton was at Miami, and he was basically a miracle worker. That was in the 90s, some glory years for the big east (miss those days, with the big east tourney at MSG). LH is a pretty great coach, as is RB.

No, I’m not comparing. I’d be good with either as UT’s coach. UT’s history would have been much different had Dickey hired Hamilton instead of hiring Wade Houston after being pressured by Lamar Alexander to hire Wade. But Allan is an excellent VFL. And Wade is a good man… just wish he would have had more success as UT’s HBBC.

Tennessee is bumping heads with Florida State for Dillon Mitchell as well who has a final three of FSU, Tennessee and Texas. Those are similar and highly ranked players and you have to wonder if it’s realistic for either school to grab them both. Texas is on the outside looking in based on what we’re hearing.

If Mitchell or Phillips pick the Seminoles does the other one fall into Tennessee’s lap? Or vice versa. Tennessee would prefer Phillips in our opinion, but would be happy with either one.
-VQ

Figured he was heading to NCST, would love to see FSU…he’s SF/PF type, and they already took that SF the other day…no way they then get both Phillips and FSU.

What if got both of them lmao

PG - Edwards
SG - Jackson
SF - Mitchell
PF - Phillips (I've seen him listed on a website as a PF)

Reactions: Volprofch05
Florida State 247 in response to Mitchell and Phillips trending toward UT or FSU:

“USC is definitely a player for Phillips.

Possibility exists for both to end up here.

More confidence in Mitchell than Phillips.”

“I think Mitchell is more likely than Phillips, but both remain in play.”

Seems like they are confident in landing Mitchell rn but are also slightly worried since he will visit Texas

I think a BIG change is about to happen in the Dillon Mitchell recruitment. One that could greatly benefit UT.

This afternoon De'Ante Green will announce his school choice and that choice is expected to be Florida State. If/when that happens I would not be surprised if FSU were to end its recruitment of Mitchell. Changing his top-3 to a top-2. Unless he decides to reopen his recruitment.

-Russ Wood of Rivals

VN Store

Back