‘20 NC SG Jaden Springer (UT commit 10/23/19)

Huge get!! When searching Jaden Springer via google, the ESPN article came up as being posted 5 days ago. Tells me whoever had the info that Springer committed and ESPN was just waiting to release it was 100% correct.

Needless to say, it was a good week for Tennessee basketball with the addition of five-star guard Jaden Springer. That pick up gives Tennessee what’s currently ranked as the No. 4 recruiting class in the country which is an incredible testament to just how far Rick Barnes has raised the profile of this program since he arrived on campus. Springer and Keon Johnson are going to give the Vols an electric backcourt next season and forward Corey Walker Jr. is an excellent compliment to that duo. Much like Grant Williams was, Springer is young for his class. He just turned 17 at the end of September so will be one of the youngest freshmen in the nation next year. The fact that he’s already so physically developed nearly a year shy of his 18th birthday hints at what kind of potential he has.
The three five stars that Barnes has landed in these past two classes; Springer, Johnson and Josiah James, are a reflection of how this staff works in recruiting. This isn’t a staff that sees some kid in July, falls in love with him before his senior year and then works to get him on campus for an official visit. All three of those guys were offered either as freshmen (Springer and James) or early in their sophomore year (Johnson) and the staff developed a relationship with the prospects and their families over a number of years.
As has been discussed on the board, I don’t think Tennessee is done yet. The most obvious target left on the board is big man Dylan Cardwell. I think Tennessee is in great shape for him and would probably call them the team to beat right now. I’ve also been hearing very strongly that the Vols would like to add an additional ball handler in this class. That’s probably reflection of the very real possibility that Johnson and Springer could be just one year players. I don’t have a name to throw out there just yet but I think you’ll see Tennessee look to get involved with a guard in the very near future.
It’s a big weekend for the future of the program as the Vols will have two five-star members of the class of 2021 on campus. Paolo Banchero, the No. 2 player in the nation is making the trip in from Seattle and Memphis point guard Kennedy Chandler, the No. 12 player in that class, will be in town as well. The Vols have been working hard on Chandler for a year now, and while pulling talent out of Memphis is never easy, look for them to be in the thick of that one. Banchero will be a tough pull. Some think that he may stay home at Washington, where both of his parents went to school while others think if he leaves home it will be for Kentucky. Whatever happens Tennessee is swimming with sharks here. His other official visits have been to Kentucky, Duke, UNC and he’ll see Gonzaga in January.
One name in the Class of 2022 to start keeping tabs on is local Knox Catholic point guard B.J. Edwards. The point guard’s stock is on the rise this fall. He’s already picked up several major offers and don’t be surprised if Tennessee steps up with an offer of its own in the near future.
-VQ

We're looking to add an additional ball handler in this class and also looking to add Cardwell? We'd be oversigning by two then if I'm understanding that correctly. Very interesting

We're looking to add an additional ball handler in this class and also looking to add Cardwell? We'd be oversigning by two then if I'm understanding that correctly. Very interesting

If we oversign by two this tells me Josiah must be the real deal and Rick thinks there is no way he stays an extra year. That would be unfortunate, because I'd love to see what he could do with this next class, but it gives me even more hope for this season.

If we oversign by two this tells me Josiah must be the real deal and Rick thinks there is no way he stays an extra year. That would be unfortunate, because I'd love to see what he could do with this next class, but it gives me even more hope for this season.
I think that he is the real deal

Bobby Maze talks about Springer...

Q: How good is Springer at creating his own shot as a point guard?

“That’s what he does the best. He’s a great one-on-one player. He knows how to create a shot for himself by getting to the basket, and he has one of the best mid-range games that you can kinda compare to Richard Hamilton and what Kawhi Leonard is able to do, just getting to certain spots, raising up, and hitting those shots. He has amazing ball handling skills which could literally get him to anywhere on the court. He’s been playing against some of the best players in the country for quite some time now, and every single time, he never disappoints.”

Q: Is Springer the most physical wing/guard you’ve coached in AAU ball?

“By far. He initiates the contact. That’s what he does. He brings it on. That’s one of the things that I love about his game is how he plays, and every single time he brings it. He’s not afraid.”

Q: How good of a fit do you think Springer is as a point guard in the college game?

“I think he’d do really well (at PG). I’ll use myself as an example. By no means was I at any point the player that Jaden Springer is, but I played the two guard and wing most of my life, and I spent one year at prep school playing the point, and then I became one of the best point guards in the country, then I went to Oklahoma then to JUCO. Jaden has always had the ball in his hand, and good things happen with the ball in his hand. With him playing with (current Tennessee freshman) Drew Pember at 17U the year before this summer, the things those two were able to do…I felt like he’ll be great playing the point, and he’ll be great off the ball. He’s one guy that you don’t really put in a box.

“The best person I could compare him to in the NBA, and I’ve always said this, is that he’s like a young Derrick Rose or like a young Dwyane Wade. He can guard the best player on the floor, and he’s going to make them work. His defense gets undervalued. I’ve never seen a guard or another top player dominate Jaden. He’s gonna block shots, he’s gonna rebound, and he’s gonna score. He’s athletic, and when he gets in transition, he won’t do just a regular dunk; he’s gonna 360 it, he’s gonna dunk backwards. He’ll bring some excitement to this program that we haven’t seen in quite some time.”

"Sky is the Limit" for Five-Star Vol Commit Jaden Springer | RTI

“That’s what he does the best. He’s a great one-on-one player. He knows how to create a shot for himself by getting to the basket, and he has one of the best mid-range games that you can kinda compare to Richard Hamilton and what Kawhi Leonard is able to do, just getting to certain spots, raising up, and hitting those shots. He has amazing ball handling skills which could literally get him to anywhere on the court. He’s been playing against some of the best players in the country for quite some time now, and every single time, he never disappoints.”

“By far. He initiates the contact. That’s what he does. He brings it on. That’s one of the things that I love about his game is how he plays, and every single time he brings it. He’s not afraid.”

Q: How good of a fit do you think Springer is as a point guard in the college game?
“I think he’d do really well (at PG). I’ll use myself as an example. By no means was I at any point the player that Jaden Springer is, but I played the two guard and wing most of my life, and I spent one year at prep school playing the point, and then I became one of the best point guards in the country, then I went to Oklahoma then to JUCO. Jaden has always had the ball in his hand, and good things happen with the ball in his hand. With him playing with (current Tennessee freshman) Drew Pember at 17U the year before this summer, the things those two were able to do…I felt like he’ll be great playing the point, and he’ll be great off the ball. He’s one guy that you don’t really put in a box.

“The best person I could compare him to in the NBA, and I’ve always said this, is that he’s like a young Derrick Rose or like a young Dwyane Wade. He can guard the best player on the floor, and he’s going to make them work. His defense gets undervalued. I’ve never seen a guard or another top player dominate Jaden. He’s gonna block shots, he’s gonna rebound, and he’s gonna score. He’s athletic, and when he gets in transition, he won’t do just a regular dunk; he’s gonna 360 it, he’s gonna dunk backwards. He’ll bring some excitement to this program that we haven’t seen in quite some time.”
Springer at PG?

Yes please.

In the bottom paragraph, I will be shocked if Barns allows him to try 360 dunks if we aren't up by 20+. If you watch his AAU videos he does it in close games too. lol

I remember Pearl going ballistic on JaJuan when he passed to himself off the backboard on a breakaway dunk in a crucial moment at the end of a close game. I think that he made it, but missing would have cracked the door for that opponent to get back into the game. Don't remember who the opponent was.

I remember Pearl going ballistic on JaJuan when he passed to himself off the backboard on a breakaway dunk in a crucial moment at the end of a close game. I think that he made it, but missing would have cracked the door for that opponent to get back into the game. Don't remember who the opponent was.
I think he did miss it and the other team had a chance to cut it down to a one possession game if they scored, but UT gotta stop, iIrc

I think he did miss it and the other team had a chance to cut it down to a one possession game if they scored, but UT gotta stop, iIrc

Seems like it was a pretty good team with a pretty good coach. I wasn't sure if CBP was more pissed at the stupidity of not taking the clinching basket or disrespecting the opponent. Maybe both. It could have been JaJuan's Leon Lett moment.

VN Store

Back