‘20 NC SG Jaden Springer (UT commit 10/23/19)

In the most recent War Room, Volquest says Tennessee cancelled Cam Hayes' weekend visit, indicating that it's because Hayes has re-classified to 2020 and he plays "essentially the same position" as Springer.

Hayes is a 6-1 PG. Everything I've seen lists Springer as a 6-5 SG. Is Tennessee recruiting Springer as to play PG? If he can play that position, that would be great, given that Johnson and Walker are both Wings. I found that comment curious.

In the most recent War Room, Volquest says Tennessee cancelled Cam Hayes' weekend visit, indicating that it's because Hayes has re-classified to 2020 and he plays "essentially the same position" as Springer.

Hayes is a 6-1 PG. Everything I've seen lists Springer as a 6-5 SG. Is Tennessee recruiting Springer as to play PG? If he can play that position, that would be great, given that Johnson and Walker are both Wings. I found that comment curious.

Yes, speculation has been that Tennessee is recruiting Springer to play PG. Jerry Meyer also alluded to that on Basilio the other day.

Reactions: Vols All Day

I don’t think it necessarily is that Springer is seen primarily as a PG, like Hayes, but that they are both guards and at the very least similar. Given the needs of the roster there is only really room for 1, it’s why Tennessee slow play Samson Ruzhentsev, Keon Ambrose, Shakeel Moore and even a guy like Bryce Thompson to an extent...they’ve had Walker and Keon for awhile, that left room for 2 more and they knew they needed a guard and a big, so that’s what they’re trying for.

With that said, I do think Springer could play PG if asked to, but I think his best position is a 2.

Last edited:
Two thoughts:

1) Springer might be a silent commit. He might not. We don't know. What we do know is he is taking his official to Memphis today, which you cannot take lightly. What happens when Penny's Bag-Man comes along and throws the Brinks Truck at Springer? If we lose him, is the pool completely soured with Hayes? Or is it possible to repair that relationship? Just a thought. That's all.

2) How many can we take in this class? 3? So if Springer does commit, are we done after that? If not, are we in good position with any other commits for 2020 except for PJ Hall?

Two thoughts:

1) Springer might be a silent commit. He might not. We don't know. What we do know is he is taking his official to Memphis today, which you cannot take lightly. What happens when Penny's Bag-Man comes along and throws the Brinks Truck at Springer? If we lose him, is the pool completely soured with Hayes? Or is it possible to repair that relationship? Just a thought. That's all.

2) How many can we take in this class? 3? So if Springer does commit, are we done after that? If not, are we in good position with any other commits for 2020 except for PJ Hall?

We're at 12 this year with 2 seniors. If Springer AND another (a big ...PJ?) are added then somebody gotta go (or become a walk-on... Pember?).

Two thoughts:

You definitely can’t completely rule out Memphis, but with Hayes he was scheduled to OV this weekend, so you would have a tough time explaining that one.

The staff is willing to oversign by 1, they’ve wanted 4 all along, but they aren’t going to take a guy just to take someone. Right now it seems like: PJ Hall, Bradley Ezewiro and Dylan Cardwell are the only guys they are actively recruiting for fall, no surprise that all are big men.

Two thoughts:

I feel like all our eggs are in the Hall basket for now. Also, I feel like Springer is already in the bag, or Barnes wouldn’t risk canceling Hayes’ visit.

Well said.

Bigtime turn of events that we are turning top
30 players away. Great job by the staff

I’m not sure why you limit it to Hayes? We turned away Top 50 in Ruzhentsev. Opted not to push hard for Top 30’s Thompson or Hall? Didn’t pursue Top 100 Keon Ambrose? Quit recruiting Top 50 Matthew Murrell? Backed off Top 75 Jayden Stone?

There's a possibility that Josiah-Jordan James could be one-and-done which frees up a 4th spot in the Walker-Johnson-Springer class. I think he's here for 2 years though.

I feel like all our eggs are in the Hall basket for now. Also, I feel like Springer is already in the bag, or Barnes wouldn’t risk canceling Hayes’ visit.

As I mentioned the timing with Hayes visit made that one tough, but I am hopeful he has indeed told the staff he’s coming here.

With Hall, I’m curious to see if we schedule OV’s for Cardwell and/or Ezewiro for sometime after Hall’s scheduled OV.

I’m not sure why you limit it to Hayes? We turned away Top 50 in Ruzhentsev. Opted not to push hard for Top 30’s Thompson or Hall? Didn’t pursue Top 100 Keon Ambrose? Quit recruiting Top 50 Matthew Murrell? Backed off Top 75 Jayden Stone?

I don’t limit it to anyone. 4 fills the bus up and we have to stop

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Fulkerson and Jalen Johnson should also be able to grad transfer for their last season. Both are RS juniors this year and if they don't play lots of minutes in 2019-20 I would think transferring would be strong possibilities. Jalen would especially be challenged to earn minutes when competing with Gaines, JJ James, Keon, and Springer... even Walker, Pons, and Pember could make the 3 crowded.

Nah oversigning by 1 has clearly been the plan for a long while now

They’ve definitely been consistent in that they want to sign 4 guys for a very long time, pretty amazing to see the staff target Walker, Johnson, Springer and Hall early on and seemingly have 3/4 on the bus.

Reactions: i2amavol
Fulkerson and Jalen Johnson should also be able to grad transfer for their last season. Both are RS juniors this year and if they don't play lots of minutes in 2019-20 I would think transferring would be strong possibilities. Jalen would especially be challenged to earn minutes when competing with Gaines, JJ James, Keon, and Springer... even Walker, Pons, and Pember could make the 3 crowded.
I don’t see Fulkerson playing less than he did this year

Reactions: walkenvol
As I mentioned the timing with Hayes visit made that one tough, but I am hopeful he has indeed told the staff he’s coming here.

With Hall, I’m curious to see if we schedule OV’s for Cardwell and/or Ezewiro for sometime after Hall’s scheduled OV.
I'm not sure why you cancel Hayes' visit if you aren't darn near certain that Springer is all but committed. There is nothing to lose by bringing in Hayes on a visit except losing the visit against the nunber you are allowed, which we won't likely approach anyway given that we have already landed our top targets. Doesn't seem like we will be casting a wide net and hoping. To me, the cancellation of that visit was the most compelling evidence of the Springer commitment rumors. Not crystal balls or rumors.

I'm not sure why you cancel Hayes' visit if you aren't darn near certain that Springer is all but committed. There is nothing to lose by bringing in Hayes on a visit except losing the visit against the nunber you are allowed, which we won't likely approach anyway given that we have already landed our top targets. Doesn't seem like we will be casting a wide net and hoping. To me, the cancellation of that visit was the most compelling evidence of the Springer commitment rumors. Not crystal balls or rumors.

Maybe the staff has already been told by Springer that he’s coming?

That’s the only logical explanation because you just don’t turn down an elite talent like Hayes.

VN Store

Back